Cornhusker State Games
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 20m 41s
Overall Rank = 187/232
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/20
Pre-race routine:

Racked my bike, went up to the shelter to get checked in & get my chip, then talked to my friends Mykel and Bethani for a sec. Then I set up my transition area while they were doing their thing and they came down & racked next to me so we chatted for a while before Beth had to leave for work. Then we spent the next hour+ standing around waiting for the race officials to decide what to do given the inclement weather. They decided to make it a duathlon - 1.5 run, 12 bike, 1.5 run. Saw Shawn Hossenfeffer (sorry dude can't remember your last name!) when we were lining up in our swim heats before they changed it to a du and chatted with him for a few seconds.
Event warmup:

Well I realized (before the event got delayed) that I forgot to get body marked, so I ran from the transition area up to the shelter so that I could knock that out real quick :)
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No swim this year.
What would you do differently?:

No swim this year.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

T1 was pretty uneventful.

1. Put on helmet.
2. Go!
Bike
  • 47m 51s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a whole lot of bike training under the belt going into this so I really reigned myself in on the uphills knowing I could very easily overdo it and destroy any chance of running. My cycle computer was going all wonky and had me doing 25 mph uphill right after mounting my bike :) So I couldn't really rely on it for a speed indication most of the time, and my cadence was as high as 205, so RPE was the story of the day on the bike. I think I did fine and left enough gas in the tank for the run. Passed Mykel on 56th Street near Van Dorn. I said, "Passing on your left, you hairy beast!"

I would have had some sports drink in one of my water bottles instead of water only. Also I would have remembered my tire changing kit that I keep in a water bottle (doesn't all fit in my seat bag). I didn't have a flat, but I would have been out of luck if I had!
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Some stupid girls were between the racks waiting, I presume, for their bike team member to show up so they could run, and one of them I swear was RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AISLE stretching. She saw me coming at her and she wasn't making any indication that she would move, so I finally said (in a loud voice) EXCUSE ME. Tied for 14th-fastest T2! :)

Not put weights in my shoes before the run. Oh wait.
Run
  • 31m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

First run: 1.5 mi in 15:36
Started out pretty fast and then realized "oh crap, I just started out really fast" so I dialed it back and kept a steady pace until I got to my bike. I knew having a run first was going to throw me off a little bit so I wanted to be too conservative in the beginning to leave room for more effort at the end.

2nd run - 1.5 mi in 16:07
This one was a tough one. I haven't had much run training at all this year, I think 17 miles total? So this was a tough T-run off the bike. My calves were begging for mercy (as they generally do for me during tri's, dunno why). I ran over to 70th and then walked from there to the turn back onto the bike trail by Normal Blvd. From there I pushed it hard coming back in and passed an old lady who I had been running with during the first run part. Apparently she beat me on the bike :)

Just more run training. That's my modus operandi anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Shawn right after I got done and chatted with him for just a minute and then went to grab some oranges. Ate a few of those and then went and cheered for Mykel to finish. He came in 6 minutes after me which I attribute singularly to a mechanical/equipment advantage I had because he did it on a MTB.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think we've discussed this ad nauseum. I still had fun though and it was definitely a good challenge!

Event comments:

The drink station for the run was right as you came out of T2. Uhh, I had water on my bike, thanks. Can you meet me in about 7 minutes when I actually need a drink again? Probably not much they could have done given the weather though.

I was bummed that the TNT folks did a pancake feed instead of burgers like last year. It was still good though and Mykel and I each got extra sausage on our way back to get our bikes!

Last updated: 2010-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/232
Performance:
Suit:
Course: No swim this year.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:51 | 12 miles | 15.05 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The usual tri course, except instead of riding on Holmes Park Road you stay on Normal Blvd. That was kind of a bummer.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:43 | 03 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Loop from the trail down Holmes Park Road over to 70th, North to Normal, West on the trail to H.P.Rd., South to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-20 10:06 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: Cornhusker State Games Triathlon

2010-06-21 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2933281

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: Cornhusker State Games Triathlon

Nice job.  Whats next on the race schedule? 26.2? 70.3? 140.6?

2010-06-21 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2935510

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
jeremy_424 - 2010-06-21 7:41 PM

Nice job.  Whats next on the race schedule? 26.2? 70.3? 140.6?

How about a 5K? Actually I'm doing the Seward Firecracker 50-mile bike ride on July 4, but that's not a race. Looking at Austin 70.3 but not sure with the foster kids and busy work schedule how that's gonna happen. Definitely counting on the Black Squirrel though!
2010-06-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2933281

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Nicely done big guy!
I've apparently missed something......."foster kids"? Send me a pm and tell me the story! You know I can take part ownership of those kids since my last name is Foster!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cornhusker State Games Triathlon Rss Feed