World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 26m 31s
Overall Rank = 627/
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 80/
Pre-race routine:

Just making sure that I had my meal 2-3 hours before and trying to make sure I had everything.
Event warmup:

Should've drank a little more water before race, it was hot and we were standing there a long time.
Swim
  • 44m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was the most nervous about the swim for months leading up to the race, but I few days before I mentally overcame that and was surprisingly calm right up to the gun. The swim was so much better than I anticipated. I didn't get run over, or hit in the head, the water was not too cold. I really enjoyed myself in the swim, and I ended up swimming about 4 minutes faster than I set as my goal. Way excited!
What would you do differently?:

I would not do anything differently in the swim, but maybe a little less conservative I think I had more in me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

I told myself that I would come into T1 and take my time. Being my first time I wanted to make sure that I had everything i needed before I took off. Nothing went wrong, I just took too much time.

I would have rushed out of the transition, hind sight was that I had everything that I needed I just needed to trust that and go for it, there was a lot of lost time in this particular transition that did not need to take place.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Hardest thing I ever did, I was hoping and had trained to go about 19 - 20 mph, but the wind was way to strong for too much of the course. I stayed positive for the whole duration, but it didn't make we go faster. I started to cramp up a little around mile 20 and noticed that my drinking 2-3 ounces of fluid every 8 minutes would not be sufficient, so I changed to every 4 minutes and was able to pull myself out of the cramping up. I was glad to get off that bike.

I think I would have taken more of an aggressive approach on the bike, maybe not try to conserve anything for the run. A 10 minute mile is worse case scenario for me and it's what I ended up doing anyway.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Came in strong, than I couldn't get my socks on with all the cramping with the hip flexors, I ended up punching them out to get socks and shoes on.

Again I would have practiced without socks and had the proper laces on to be quicker. I was way to slow.
Run
  • 2h 12m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was way to conservative again, I only went hard with 3 miles left. I was afraid of not finishing the event so much I didn't want to run like it was a race. The jersey I had on was driving crazy, not soft enough and I was starting to get raw from it.

I wished I would have treated it more like an interval, and give it all I had for 3-3 miles and nail the aid stations every third and taking my time to get it all in.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

inability to be aggressive enough, not like sprinting but like how I trained.

Last updated: 2010-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:45 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 104/
Overall: 904/
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction full body
Course: There was a course change the day before, but that didn't bother me. The bouys were not as big as I thought they would be initially, but once I got into the water they were good enough.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
03:18:41 | 56 miles | 16.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 89/
Overall: 666/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course was brutal that day, everywhere we rode was either one of three things headwind, crosswind or a hill. I do not remember more than 4 miles being solid or the wind at the back or no wind at all. It was challenging and I really pushed my mental capacity and I think I did a great job not letting it get to me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:12:38 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 65/
Overall: 552/
Performance: Below average
Course: Two laps on the green belt, the second loop started right with the finish line crowd. That was awesome to get the energy to go another round.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-20 10:26 PM

New user

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2010-06-20 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2933311

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
 Nice race!  Now you know you have this distance in you, next time you'll have it to push.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed