Effingham, Illinois
United States
Cutting Edge Events
Total Time = 7h 25m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

In an effort to learn as much as possible and look back at the many decisions that went into this race, I will start on the Friday night before the Sunday race. No excuses, I did not execute a good race plan on Sunday and that is that. I will learn from this and come back stronger. (working on my Tebow speech...)
Friday - didn't get any training in. Had a cookout for the girls (they are going to summer camp for 8 weeks). Ate 3 hotdogs and other stuff that I should not have.
Got up Saturday morning and packed the van for the wife and kids. Again they will be gone for months and the van was fully packed. Drove to Effingham and checked into the hotel. Went with Pat, James, and Bob to drive the bike course. Our general consensus was that the course had a couple of hilly sections, but plenty of flats to recover/hammer :). Back to hotel, then to race sight. Got in a nice, short practice swim. Water was 81 degrees so wetsuits were not needed. The water was high and there was growth underwater, like little trees. Close to shore it was like swimming through the top of a jungle. Picked up packets, back to hotel, then out for some really good pasta at Joe's Pizza.

Event warmup:

First one's to race site as usual, after stopping at the closed gas station where Pat successfully begged for coffee.
No warmup other than setting everything up. Saw the Pro, Eric Bean, get to transition a little late and get stuck with a not so great spot.
Swim
  • 42m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really thought i was faster. The first lap I stayed in the mix until the first buoy. Then i thought I was going straight and sighting on the last buoy, but I must have taken the first turn buoy way wide as I was swimming all by myself. Thought maybe the buoys were not straight and I had found a "short cut." lol. Instead of heading back to the line everyone else was swimming, I stayed wide and just headed towards the last turn buoy. Hit that and headed in. Swam through the jungle and ran around the buoy, where Bob yelled "20:30"
20:30?? Really? Must not have been a short cut. Decided to stick closer to the buoys this time around. Swam next to the same 3 people all the way around. The buoys looked straight and I stuck closer to them. Really picked up the pace the last 300 yards or so (at least increased the effort, not sure about the pace). Up on shore and around the buoy where i heard Bob say 42:xx. Wow, 2nd lap was slower than first?
What would you do differently?:

Relax and not worry about pushing, this may allow me to breathe bilaterally, which I'm faster at. I swam most of this breathing just to the right side.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

The best thing I did all day. About :30 faster than my goal time. WooHoo!! (no other part of this report I can say that about :))

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 46m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

A tale of 2 rides. Heading out, I felt great. I was passing people as usual. Hitting the hills very well. Gear changes were smooth and I would push the downhills to make it up the next hill. Some of these hills were ALOT steeper than they seemed while driving the course the day before. I focused on not pushing hard, this was not a TT and I tried to ride smart. Passing people and offering encouragement. (passed a P4 :p) Finished the first hour and first bottle of Infinit pretty much on schedule. The family passed, ringing bells and all was well. They stopped up ahead and I saw them just before the turnaround. I mixed my 2nd hour of Infinit at about 1:10. I was thinking, "ok, not a great swim, but if I nail the rest of this bike, then I'll be set up to have a good run and good finish time." I was also thinking that I was riding into a slight headwind, not much, but enough that would make the ride back enjoyable.
Hit the turnaround, took a little water and headed back. Noticed pretty quick that I had not been riding into a headwind on the way out and that, in fact, I would be riding into a little wind on the way back. Passed the family bell ringers again and was still feeling pretty good. It wasn't long after this that I really hit a lull. I just couldn't seem to "go". The hills were tough, I pushed my helmet up and a river of sweat streamed down. I noticed that it was pretty warm out and I was sweating alot. I couldn't keep my speed up. I was thinking "I don't remember the out leg being all downhill." I stopped the bike twice, checking my tires and brakes, convinced something was rubbing and slowing me down. Didn't find anything, but open the brakes up all the way anyway. I was waiting for people to start passing me. I played leap frog with a guy on a a red Cervelo a few times and a guy on a gray Cevelo that I had passed earlier, caught and passed me not far from the finish. Noticed that my belly felt full. I was having trouble pushing the big ring towards the end, so shifted down and tried to spin for awhile in the small ring. The last 2 miles went well and I felt better.

Wow, not sure other than order different Infinit and not put Nunn in Bike bottles (see below)
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Heading into T2, I was wondering how the world I was going to complete 13.1 miles. Honestly, didn't want to go out for the run. As soon as I got off the bike, I noticed how hot it was. I knew right away this was going to be ugly.
Just tried to blank my mind and get through transition. I changed out of my tri-jersey into my running jersey. Put suntan lotion on my arms and shoulders. I went to put some vasoline on my feet, but it had all melted and was in a puddle on my towel. I scooped up what I could and got my shoes on and headed out with my water bottle filled with water, Nunn, and caffeine and holding gels. I took a drink of my other bottle that just had water in it and the water was so warm I spit it out.
I told my family "This is going to be a Nick kind of transition." lol

Stop right here, the day is not going to get any better, lol. No, this was actually faster than I though it was.
Run
  • 3h 51m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 17m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Let's see what I can remember. Heading out, I see James coming in off the bike and know he had a good bike ride. Then i see Pat come in think "Holy Cow, they are right behind me." I started the run planning on a 10 minute jog 2 minute jog plan. It was hotter than Chicago 07 and Louisville 08, so I knew there would be walking to do.
I took a drink from my water bottle and dumped the rest out. The water was too hot to drink. So there went my electrolytes. I made it to the first aid station and was burning up. Had them fill up my water bottle. I headed out doing a little jogging and a little walking. Made the turn onto the gravel road noticed there was not much shade up ahead. Made it to the first aid station and continued on. James caught me and we walked together for a very little while, he was having a good day and felt pretty good. I started jogging with him, but soon fell behind and had to take a walk break. My stomach still felt full and I couldn't drink much water. Most of it was spent dribbling it on my head, shoulders and arms in an attempt to cool them down. Saw the right hand turn up ahead and noticed there was a treeline. I hoped that meant shade. Made the turn and saw....no shade, demoralizing. Continued on to the turnaround. They had cold sponges and they felt great for a little while.
Headed back wondering how the world I was going to make another 10 miles. More of the same, lots of walking with a little "jogging." Filled the water bottle at each aid station. I felt guilty asking for a whole bottle of water, but they seemed to have plenty and didn't hesitate at all. At the last aid station before the 1/2 way turnaround, I saw Pat coming behind me, I waited and he caught up. We walked into the park together. I knew I'd see my family up here and it would be dicey whether they would want me to go back out. I wasn't sure I wanted to go back out. Hell, I wasn't sure I was going to go back out or if I did, that I would make it back. I had spent the last 20 minutes or so trying to figure out if a 7:30 1/2 IM was very much better than a dnf. Was this worth it? Would it be smarter to just call it a day? Pat had to take care of a little business while we were by transition so I stood in the shade and talked to my family.
I got the usual, "no shame in stopping." "be smart" "are you ok?" Didn't feel great, I had just done 6+ miles in like 1:30+ and had not been able to take in any calories and just 2 endurolytes. Pat got done and told me to stay there. I just couldn't do it. So I headed out with Pat.
We walked just a little and then he decided to jog, I needed to walk a little more and stop at the aid station. Got a full bottle of water and was able to drink a little gatorade. Bob and Megan ran over to cheer. I dumped some water on my face and head. The water was very cold and with my eyes closed, I weaved a little. Bob jumped the fence, told me to stop because I was stumbling. I told him to let me dump some of this cold water on his face and see if he didn't stumble.
Actually did a little jogging on the way back out, but that didn't last long. Lots of memories of Chicago and Louisville. Lots of people walking and suffering, but still moving. I kept thinking back to the pro we saw walk it in at IMWI last year. I was thinking about Becca and Megan's first 5k's and how I pushed them and wouldn't let them quit. The sun was relentless and I was roasted. I don't know if I've ever felt hotter.
Made it to the turnaround and reached down into the bucket to get some sponges and got a little light headed when I straightened back up. I stopped at each aid station and borrowed some of their shade. Time no longer mattered.
Headed back in counting down the miles. You have no idea how demoralizing it is to be excited to only have 2 miles to go, but then to realize that at your current pace it means you still have 40 minutes to go. Legs started getting crampy and just concentrated on moving forward. I was still carrying the same gels I started with. My belly was just done.
Topped the hill by the highway and Megan and Bob were there. They walked me back into the park. I wanted to jog it in, but crampy legs and it just seemed ridiculous and hypocritical to walk so much and then "run" at the end. Walked the entire finish.

I was in trouble before the run began. Maybe I should have tried to force some gel into my belly. May have helped, not sure. Just didn't seem possible at the time. I felt bloated.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some SHADE and sat for awhile. Packed everything up and we hit the road headed for PA and summer camp. (Monica drove :))

I have to thank my family for coming down to watch and encourage. I can't help but feel bad about my performance and will do better in the future.
Also, my teamates Pat and James, who handled the conditions well and put in great efforts, good race plans, and great results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was as close as I've ever come to a dnf. Very, very close.
Ok, this is not a list of excuses. These are things to learn from and the things I did wrong.
1) Not a great week of nutrition or training leading up to race
2) Took race and distance to lightly
3) Used the rest of my short course Infinit instead of ordering new and right Infinit
4) Infinit has plenty of electrolytes in it, why did I put Nunn in my bike bottles? James even questioned me on this pre race and I thought about changing my "plan", but didn't. I think I took in too many electrolytes on the bike causing the ration in my belly of electrolytes and water to be out of balance and my belly to shut down. I JUST re-read about this last week and still got it wrong. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!
5) Once my stomach quit digesting, i couldn't take in water or calories and I bonked hard.

Event comments:

Tough race especially with the weather. Bike course is deceptively challeging and a little rough. The run course is at least 1/2 gravel and has very, very little shade. On sunny, hot, humid days it is brutal. The volunteers were GREAT and the aid stations were VERY WELL stocked.

Last updated: 2010-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Lap 1: 20:30 Lap 2: 22:??
Suit:
Course: Clockwise out to a buoy, then parallel to shore passed start to a buoy, back to start, up on shore, run around buoy and do another lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:37 | 56 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Performance: Average
5 mile splits: 14:23 (20.9) 13:29 (22.2) 14:25 (20.8) 12:18 (24.4) 13:58 (21.5) 13:38 (22) 14:39 (20.5) 15:41 (19.1) 16:44 (17.9) 16:31 (18.2) 16:49 (17.8) Last 1.15miles (18.1)
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the park, turn East for a quick 1/2 mile switchback, then head West for around 24 miles, turnaround and go back. Roads were a little rough and deceptively hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:51:50 | 13.1 miles | 17m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Miles: (10:25)(15:05)(13:57)(17:23)(16:28)(20:50)(21:49)(15:59)(18:25)(23:11)(22:02)(21:36)(15:55(.79miles))
Course: Double out and back. Very, very little shade. Mostly gravel road. Some decent hills.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: Cutting Edge Half Classic

2010-06-21 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2935553

User image

New user

Central Illinois
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic
Love the Tebow reference  ! He only lost one more game in college I believe which was a great run.  I know you will learn from this and be stronger for it. We are proud of you on good days and bad.  We support you because we love you but we enjoy supporting you because of your attitude, preparation and performance. Forget yesterdays performance but learn from yesterdays mistakes.
2010-06-21 8:58 PM

User image

This had to be one of the most difficult race reports for me to read - honestly, I didn't want to read it, but forced myself too. Yesterday was not just a learning experience for you, it was a reality check for all of us. We have read about it and even experienced some of it on a smaller scale - nutrition, balance, nutrition, balance..............finding that right mix is so so key to a successful raceday. We know it, you know it.............we just have to live it and respect it. I told myself before the race and will do this moving forward, including Sept 12th. Execute the nutrition before anything else, and the rest will take care of itself.

A couple quotes for you brother:

"Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic."
- Tim Noakes

"The only way to define your limits is by going beyond them."
- Arthur Clarke

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
- T.S. Eliot

"You can quit if you want, but no one will care and you'll always know."
- John Collins (Ironman co-founder)

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."
- George Sheehan

You have heard and/or read these before, and I am positive some may have crossed your mind yesterday, but want you to know they crossed mine at times as well. I was with you in spirit the entire time and want you to know that your mentoring, coaching, teaching, drive and work ethic help me execute my plan. So while you feel like you may have disappointed yourself and others, it was your teaching and guidance that helped me dig down deep and finish strong!

Thanks man..............enjoy your time this week with them girls, leave this one in PA, and come back and kick our arse starting next weekend................and put that 25 spot on the board next Saturday!

James
2010-06-22 3:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tough race!!  Way to hang in there and finish.  :-)
2010-06-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2935884

User image

over a barrier
I did this race last year and still have the shoes that have melted tar all over them. Its such a hot race. I too was too stupid to quit last year. :-)

Great job gutting it out!!!
2010-06-22 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Wow... what a tough day! I am impressed that you finished. WTG!!!

I had planned on doing Cutting Edge, but thankfully my husband pulled the Father's Day trump card and went golfing with his dad. I know I would have DNF'd.

You showed you definitely are an IM... you finished an extremely tough race in hazardous conditions. The mind is a hard thing to conquer and you did it. Give yourself a good pat on the back!

2010-06-22 6:42 PM

User image

New user

Mackinaw, Illinois
Good reflection. Don't worry about it. It sounds like you learned from it. I really like the determination to finish. You pushed yourself during a time when you could have easily given up. If your life/health is not in jeopardy, pushing through only makes you stronger and smarter. You did the right thing. This is likely one of your most important races in your career now as it is going to have a profound impact on defining your future plans. Good work man! Keep it up.
2010-06-23 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
I was there and I know of the horror you speak. My third year doing this race and I can't decide which of the last two years was worse. (Only a 2:20 difference in finishing time - this year was "faster") The heat was unreal - way to stick it out!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Half Classic Rss Feed