View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. George, Utah
United States
Total Time = 3h 05m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Had a bowl of oatmeal and granola bar. Got to transition at 5:45 and waited till it opened. Transition was open to first come, first served. Got prime real estate end rack close to exit.
Event warmup:

I swam the course on Wednesday and had forgotten to put bodyglide on, so I had a bad burn on my neck. I put extra bodyglide on and had a gel shot 1/2 hour before race started. Talked with some of my neighbors and club members. Got my suit on and waited on the beach to start (I had decided to not do any warm ups.)
Swim
  • 19m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my very first Olympic Distance and my goal was to finish with a smile. I didn't go out fast and die like I always do in the Sprint Distance. I paced it perfectly and even paced faster than my last sprint tri. The second half of the swim, I felt strong and I was passing a lot of swimmers. I was glad that we had to pass the bouy on our left as I breath on that side. It made siting easy. I ended up finishing in the top 10 in the swim for the men.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more. Swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

I felt strong going into T1, I just made sure I had everything before I left for my bike ride.

get faster
Bike
  • 1h 32m 21s
  • 25 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and told myself "spin to win". I had a lot of riders passing me and I tell myself "One day that will be me passing people" until than "spin to win". Again I wanted to come off the bike with strong legs to run. We had one major hill (it was fun going down that at 43 mph!), rollers, & flats. I had two bottles with me (water & hammer peretuem) and I almost finish both by the end of the ride. I also took 4 endurolytes around the 18 mile mark. At the end it started to get hot. Got to transition - a little tired, but still smiling. My average pace is getting faster.

Ride and ride more. Get stronger.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Enjoyed coming in. Changed shoes, took one last slip of pereteum & water, grabbed race belt, watch, & visor and I left transition knowing I had 6 miles to go.

Get faster.
Run
  • 1h 08m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I got on the run and I knew I was going to finish. I was so happy about finishing that I ran for 1/4 mile before I realized that I had my race belt, watch & visor in my hand. Got them on and get into a nice groove. Told myself the race doesn't start till the last two miles. I walked through every aid station. I got passed a lot and it was hot. About mile 2 and 3, I started thinking about if I was DFL then I didn't want to look back to see if I was. I got to the turn around I took a gel shot, about 300 - 800 yards I saw 4 guys behind me. I didn't want to get passed any more, so I pick up the pace a little. At mile 4 I saw two guys about 1/4 mile a head of me that had blew passed me at mile 1 and it looked like I was gaining on them. At the 5 1/2 mile mark I passed one of them, but the other one pick up the pace the last 1/4 mile and I never did catch up to him.

Train more. Loss more weight. Get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water & fruit juice. I wish I had eaten some oranges & a banana because I was cramping up on the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was my first Olympic Triathlon. Lack of experience, pacing & conditioning. This will come together as I do more Triathlon events.

Event comments:

Very well organized, volunteer are great. I just wish the drinks at the aid station were colder.

Last updated: 2010-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:49 | 1640 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Last year it was a 2 loop swim. This year they made it a point to point swim. From the dock to transition pavement is pretty rough. So I placed my flip-flops at the swim exit to use as I'm running to transition. the funny thing was that they roped off where I had put them and couldn't get to them.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:32:21 | 25 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: It was a out and back course in a local neighborhood. I'm just glad I knew the course. There was one mistake (at least I noticied it) in the neighborhood area, where the direction arrow pointed back into the neighhorhood, which would have sent us doing a loop around the block forever. I noticed a couple of riders turning around after realizing they were passing the same hill & house they had just passed.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:58 | 06.2 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Course: Out and back run. The exact course same course as the bike.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-22 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Utah Summer Games

2010-06-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2937786

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Utah Summer Games
Congrats! Sounds like a very nice olympic distance debut!
2010-06-23 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

That was an INCREDIBLE first Olympic - great job!!  Your swim split was super fast - solid transitions and great efforts on the bike and run.  All in all, an excellent race, and you'll only get better from here.  I imagine for your next one, you'll be targeting sub 3:00 - you were so close.  CONGRATULATIONS!!! 

2010-06-23 8:48 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Awesome swim!!!!!, i as well forgot body glide and am still paying the price. sounds like you had a great race, and like me found a lot of things to work on for the future. Keep up the hard work, and keep smiling!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Utah Summer Games Rss Feed