Running Fit
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 29s
Overall Rank = 301/438
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/22
Pre-race routine:

The predicted storm situation did not look good at all in the morning and the night before! Was very nervous that the race might not happen. But weather is silly, it was sunny the whole time!

I think I ate less throughout the day than I usually do. Last time I ate was around 3p for a 6p race start. Drank G2, green tea, water leading up to the start. Hammer gel 20-30 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Just as I was about to take a quick swim in the water 10-15 minutes before the start, there was an announcement for everyone to get out of the water... so didn't really do anything as a warm up. I will take note of this to make sure to get in the water in earlier next time!
Swim
  • 19m 52s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

So, I started out in the front and to the outside. At first I was looking up nearly every other stroke to make sure I was going in the right direction. I was pretty much swimming alone the whole time because it turns out I was swimming wide for most of the swim. It was actually kinda funny because I'd look around a few times and there was no one around me, everyone was way to my left. I usually swim bilaterally in the pool, and during the race, I wouldn't have been able to do that, an indication that I was putting in a good amount of effort. Can't really say I regret swimming wide, because there was really no one to bump into! Although I would have liked to see a better time, I am happy with my effort... but this also could have been part of the problem for the rest of the race...
What would you do differently?:

I guess I should try to swim more tightly rather than to the outside... not be afraid of bumping into people!
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I was so frazzled when I got out of the water, I was not thinking clearly and I almost couldn't remember what to do. As I was putting on my shoes I remembered that my swim cap and goggles were still on, and I thought I might forget to take them off. Luckily I didn't. I guess I would have realized they were on when I went to put on my helmet anyway. Which I also intially forgot about, but that would be difficult to forget since it was on my bike. But when I saw my helmet, I was definitely like "oh, my helmet." As I was running away from my spot, I was wondering if I forgot anything.

Also, I didn't really like my transition spot. I had to run a bit more than those who had higher bib numbers. Shouldn't we be rewarded for being among the first to sign up with better transition spots? ;)

I honestly can't really think of much. Maybe take my swim cap and goggles off as I'm running towards my spot. Put on helmet first? But given the circumstances, I think I moved along as much as I could. Of course there's always the possibility of moving just a wee bit quicker. ;)
Bike
  • 43m 35s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off really tired from the swim. I could not get up to speed. It took me a couple of miles. From there I tried to make little goals for myself throughout, like try to stay above 17mph, or if a girl my age came along and passed me try to keep her within sight. Well, that worked for a little bit each time.

It was during the bike ride that I could start to feel a side stitch come on and started to get worried that it would be a factor during the run. So I tried to stretch out my abs a few times... In wondering if it's a pacing issue, I really didn't think I was going that hard during the bike portion...

Throughout the ride, I took sips of water here and there.

I need to increase my mental stamina. There were times that I think I could have tried a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

First, I had trouble racking my bike. That cost me a few seconds. I also don't think I racked it in the right direction. (Does that matter?) Second, I messed up getting my shorts on the first time. (I don't have a race belt so I pin my bib number to shorts to pull on during T2.) That also cost me a few seconds.

Practice racking the bike before the race.
Put shorts on the proper way the first time.
Run
  • 30m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was just awful. It was the longest 3 miles ever. The side stitch I was worried about during the bike? Ummm yeah. It was there pretty much from the start of the run. There was water at the start of the run so I grabbed a cup... I almost want to say that was a mistake. (Think it made the side stitch worse.) During the run I actually walked like 15-20 times, 20-30 right foot steps at a time, to try to walk it off, but every time I started running again it seemed not to have helped. But at least I continually kept moving... Within the last mile I wanted to just HTFU and finish off the last mile strong but that didn't happen... I was half hoping a girl in my age group would come along and pass me so I could just try to keep up with her as an excuse to pick it up, but no one ever came. (I say "half" because I'm not actually sure how I would have felt to pick up speed...) This was a very disappointing run.

I don't know... the problem started before the run and I'm not exactly sure what the reason was... And I'm sure it didn't help that this was the first time I had run in 2.5 weeks... (bum foot... as a result ran on my left foot's toes... but the foot itself had little to do with my poor performance.)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with disappointment...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not completely sure what caused the side stitch, so I need to figure that out. This is the second tri (out of 2!) that this has occurred. But this was far worse. I believe it started during the swim. Perhaps it is a pacing issue.
My mental stamina needs to be upped.

Last updated: 2010-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:52 | 880 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/22
Overall: 260/438
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Basically a counter-clockwise loop. With some dinosaur buoys sprinkled in. :)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:35 | 12.4 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Overall: 347/438
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: gently rolling hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:55 | 03.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 302/438
Performance: Bad
Course: paved run, pretty flat... although there were a few gradual inclines.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-24 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: Triceratops Tri

2010-06-24 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2940780

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Triceratops Tri
Congratulations Samantha.  You did a great job with battling through the race and the bottom line is you finished which is awesome!  A lot of people that had these problems would haven given up so be proud of yourself for getting through it.

Ok, now for our discussion to figure what exactly went wrong and how to improve it.  First off, what did eat you all day?  This race is a lot different nutrition wise because it was not first thing in the morning like most races.  So that definitely could have been a factor.

It definitely sounds like you went too hard during the swim.  As a result, it set you up for some real challenges throughout the rest of the race.  This became quite apparent to me when you said you had a hard time in T1 and getting up to speed on this bike and that is not a good sign.  I'd definitely recommend taking it a bit easier on the swim next time.

As for the run, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.  1, you have the serious foot injury you're battling through.  You didn't mention it at all in your report so I guess that's a good thing. 

I'd chalk this one up as a great learning experience.  You've learned a few mistakes that you really need to avoid during your next race.  Let's just be thankful that you're figuring this stuff out now and not during your HIM because you need to avoid these issues during a race that long.

Stay positive and congrats on completing another triathlon Smile 
2010-06-24 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hats off for finishing the race, I agree with Colin on that I feel that you went to hard on the swim, as far as the hammer gel I have used it for my races and have no issues, but I also use it in my training regiment, sometime during your training try oatmeal and about 32 ounces of water 2 hours prior, then take a hammer about 15 minutes prior just to see if the complex carbs will help or if it cause you problems.. good luck with the foot hope it gets well soon!!Wink

Tim
2011-07-05 12:27 PM

You have posted copyrighted photos on the internet...this is ILLEGAL requiring to remove them immediately. When you PURCHASE the files, you are granted license allowing you to post, share etc. Until then, this is illegal. GS Photo works VERY hard offering great memories of various events at extremely reasonable rates! We are a very small Michigan company and I'm sure you can appreciate with the economy issues we are especially sensitive. Thank you for your attention in to this issue.

Greg Sadler

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triceratops Tri Rss Feed