Premier Event Management
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 59s
Overall Rank = 1301/1342
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 139/140
Pre-race routine:

And so the adventure starts.

I slept a little longer than I should have. Partly my fault, partly by suggestion of another party. Well, it turned out I should have stuck with my original alarm clock time.

I drove to the wrong school to catch a bus. I totally forgot that there were TWO highschools involved in the logistics, and I chose poorly.

I was already behind schedule and THEN I had to figure out where the other school was, without handy notes or a map. Luckily I could see steady bus traffic to follow. I pull into the lot and mention running way late and the volunteer says something to the effect of "Then you're really going to be happy when you find out they shortened the race..."

?!?!?

I sit on the bus for an agonizing period, wondering if I just wasted ~$250 only to not get to race and we finally hit the road. Then stop... The buses came to full stops at every railroad crossing on the way and there were 3 or 4 of them.

We finally get to the race site and I am completely freaking out that I missed my wave already, not to mention transition being closed. Oh my.

I find a couple other late arrivals talking to a volunteer and we walk to 3 different places in search of our timing chips.

I get the chip and head towards the beach and up to the announcer and the clipboard of doom. Yes I've missed my wave, and he tells me to go drop my stuff in transition and head back over.

Nobody says boo to me on the way into transition, so I find my bike, shed some clothes, grab my goggles, cap and earplugs and head back to swim start.

The announcer has me change caps and get in line with another age group. Whew, what a relief. (And I would have been happy at this point just to get in the water with a ridiculously inflated swim time.)

Turns out everything was time trial start, single file, so I didn't end up with extra time anyway. While waiting for my new group to go, I realized that I completely would have had time to set up in transition. Oh well, not gonna chance it now.

So, off to a great start!
Event warmup:

This was my second race, and (as of writing I've done 3) I've never bothered with any type of warmup, but I definitely got one this time with all the scrambling!
Swim
  • 12h 39m
  • 400 meters
  • 3h 09m 45s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

Show up on time.

I WOULD have swim in a bright pink cap that matched my weird fingernail polish too if I hadn't had to change groups.

Oh well.
Transition 1
  • 04m 38s
Comments:

As bad as this transition was without being set up at all and fishing through my bag, I STILL did better than T1 at my first race a couple of weeks prior. (5:46)

Show up when I should be there and set up.

Also, given the weather I should have bagged more items and sealed them in transition at some point. Such as my extra shoes and my CELL PHONE which got ruined later....
Bike
  • 47h 40m
  • 12.4 miles
  • 0.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Not too hilly. Flat and mostly climbs out, so flat and mostly downhill back.

I used my Camelbak after realizing at race1 that reaching for the bottle slowed my pacing down every time. So much easier and steadier on my speed.

Um, try going sockless and clipped in mount / flying dismount?
Transition 2
  • 04m 17s

This is REALLY when I should have bagged/sealed my other stuff. Storm was imminent.

Live and learn.
Run
  • 35h 47m
  • 5 kms
  • 7h 09m 24s  min/km
Comments:

1 mile in the sky opened up. Yay.

I don't like running as it is, and I hate squishy shoes, so, you know, good times....

Not much I could do really.

My 5k time average in general is right at 38 minutes, so I can't complain except my left knee started hurting.

Pretty good overall, looks like a PR for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Um, raining pretty hard so no need to cool off actively.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wet shoes and knee pain. (So that equals somehow preventing rain, and running more in training then.)

Event comments:

The post race stuff not being great was pretty much because of the weather. Still got to eat and load up on bags of freebies though.

You couldn't possibly throw a stick without hitting a stick or volunteer, at least back at the site.

Well done in spite of the water above and below.

I was looking forward to an Oly, but given my late arrival and my knee pain later I think it worked out in my favor that this became a spring.

Last updated: 2010-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
12:39:00 | 400 meters | 3h 09m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/140
Overall: 0/1342
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts only
Course: Course may or may not have been 400m. I didn't really care.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:38
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
47:40:00 | 12.4 miles | 0.26 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Not sure if the bike was actually 20k. Might have been closer to ten miles. Again, don't care, this was only my second race and I have bugs to work out of my system.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
35:47:00 | 05 kms | 7h 09m 24s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: Kinda cool that we ran though the grandstands on the way out as well as the finish. Would have been cooler if the stands had crowds....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes