General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Foot Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-25 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Big Foot Triathlon : Official Thread
Picked up my packet today, and there was nothing about how the race is being timed, no timing chip/band, and no information about body marking. Actually, no information whatsoever; just a cap, bike jersey, bib, and bike number...Does anyone have any information on this?

2010-06-25 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2944872

Subject: RE: Big Foot Triathlon : Official Thread
tpero - 2010-06-25 6:23 PM Picked up my packet today, and there was nothing about how the race is being timed, no timing chip/band, and no information about body marking. Actually, no information whatsoever; just a cap, bike jersey, bib, and bike number...Does anyone have any information on this?

I was confused about this as well.  I called and they said that we'll get the timing chip on race day.  Body marking happens then too.

Edited by mnardulli 2010-06-25 6:28 PM
2010-06-25 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2944875

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Thanks! I guess I've learned, though: always check your packet before leaving, and ask questions then.
2010-06-25 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Have fun, race hard race safe...this is one of my favorite races. (out on injury or would be racing!)
2010-06-27 4:42 PM

User image

Finished the race today, not the greatest conditions, but finished and made for an interesting run.  Overall enjoyed the race.  the shallow start to the race is a little odd, the bike loop was great, a person directing at every single turn (I think, sure seemed that way), and the trail run would have been fine except 2 stops got horribly muddy, (later finishers basically had to walk through them to avoid slipping) with some rain.  

Here's my big thought onthe race, and could be applied to all races.  How come peopel don't seem to take any responsibility for things themselves.  I'll explain.   The sprint run course is a 5k loop on the trail. The Olympic run is the same loop, only done twice.  100 yards or so before the finish, the path forks, finish line to the left, 2nd loop if you go right, if you are doing the Olympic, you run by the finish line once then go left to the finish line when you see it again.  Apparently that is too hard for a lot of people to figure out, as there were lots of people who didn't know where to got and seemed to get frustrated witht the volunteer who was standing at the fork for 90 minutes yelling " finish line to the left, 2nd loop to the right"     Just saying, read the course map and know where you need to go, the volunteers aren't there to hold your hand.

Minus the muddy sections of the run , i had a very enjoyable time.

2010-06-27 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2946669

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Shooter40 - 2010-06-27 4:42 PM Finished the race today, not the greatest conditions, but finished and made for an interesting run.  Overall enjoyed the race.  the shallow start to the race is a little odd, the bike loop was great, a person directing at every single turn (I think, sure seemed that way), and the trail run would have been fine except 2 stops got horribly muddy, (later finishers basically had to walk through them to avoid slipping) with some rain.  

Here's my big thought onthe race, and could be applied to all races.  How come peopel don't seem to take any responsibility for things themselves.  I'll explain.   The sprint run course is a 5k loop on the trail. The Olympic run is the same loop, only done twice.  100 yards or so before the finish, the path forks, finish line to the left, 2nd loop if you go right, if you are doing the Olympic, you run by the finish line once then go left to the finish line when you see it again.  Apparently that is too hard for a lot of people to figure out, as there were lots of people who didn't know where to got and seemed to get frustrated witht the volunteer who was standing at the fork for 90 minutes yelling " finish line to the left, 2nd loop to the right"     Just saying, read the course map and know where you need to go, the volunteers aren't there to hold your hand.

Minus the muddy sections of the run , i had a very enjoyable time.

I agree with that assessment.  If people can read there were big signs that said Sprint to the left, Olymbic stay right or something to that effect.  I don't see how people could have missed that.  Good volunteers directing on the bike course and well marked run course.  My only complaint was that they didn't tell us before hand that going into the transition area we would have to go all the way down the length of the first row.  I se up my area on the end that we came in on so I had to run all the way down one row and then back down the next to get to my spot.  Had they told us how traffic would be directed in transition I would have chosen a different spot.  Good race though.

Any idea when we will see the official results on-line?

2010-06-27 8:52 PM

User image

Did anybody get a Garmin distance on the Oly swim? It felt short and my time reflects that.
2010-06-28 10:26 AM

User image

Regular
Mankato
- swim was short, I have no doubt about that... (I was sub 17 mins, and I usually swim 18 low)

- big signs? oh wow I really missed those, also I missed the pace car for the race leader (spray paint on the road? really?) I dunno you, but I like to look ahead when I'm riding 30 mph, kind of a safety issue. 

- I even saw one person with no helmet, yeah no helmet.... USAT sanctioned race? oh boy, so many abandoned equipment violations, and yet no penalties (where was the race marshal?) so many people going by the dismount line (where is the penalty for that?)

- once again USAT race with no race marshal, I just don't understand it.

- a lot of details to work on thats for sure.

- What about a course map? go and look it up online, yeah thats not what I was looking for an answer.

2010-06-28 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Signs were right at the split to go left or right.

Agree with everything else you said though.  I saw some vehicles on the road that might have been sag vehicles, but I doubt any marshals were there.  I saw a lot of drafting so since there was not one penalty assessed to anyone, I would say no marshalls.
2010-06-28 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2947997

User image

Expert
No offense dude - but you are on beginnertriathlete.com complaining about not having a pace car for the leader.  I wouldn't even know what a pace car would look like - but then again that is why I am on beginnertriathlete.com. 

I didn't have any issues with the signs on course - yeah agree they should have provided a better bike race course map.  But each turn and intersection were well staffed and informative.

The helmet thing I just don't understand.  My wife was by the transition area and said she say several people leave without helmets.  She said one guy even left transition area with his swim cap still on -lol.   Supposedly they took thier bib numbers but like someone else mentioned there were no penalties issued.

Overall I think it was a good race and fairly well organized for the conditions.  I will do it again next year.

rosalestri - 2010-06-28 10:26 AM - swim was short, I have no doubt about that... (I was sub 17 mins, and I usually swim 18 low)

- big signs? oh wow I really missed those, also I missed the pace car for the race leader (spray paint on the road? really?) I dunno you, but I like to look ahead when I'm riding 30 mph, kind of a safety issue. 

- I even saw one person with no helmet, yeah no helmet.... USAT sanctioned race? oh boy, so many abandoned equipment violations, and yet no penalties (where was the race marshal?) so many people going by the dismount line (where is the penalty for that?)

- What about a course map? go and look it up online, yeah thats not what I was looking for an answer.

2010-06-28 5:28 PM

User image

Buffalo Grove
Overall I didn't think it was terrible.  I definetly agree with you about the drafting.  I ran into several situations out on the road where cars were coming dangerously close to riders.  I even had one stretch where I rode along side a car that had no interest in getting past me. This made it real hard to pass other cyclists but I managed.  The signes weren't great but I thought the volunteers did a good job of keeping everything in order.

I definetly plan to do it again next year!

2010-06-28 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2949228

User image

Regular
Mankato
Well things have changed a bit since I joined BT, I guess I got faster on the bike (was a college swimmer so I had an idea of what the pace car was since I was out of the water 1st most of times but got smoked on the bike by mile 0.5 lol)

my side of the story is... I was up front, alone nobody chasing and I had a volunteer pointing to turn right, which I did. No question I was the first person who got there (maybe they realized what happened there and decided to give better directions to the rest

The arrows on the road I saw most of them, but yeah there was a point in time that looking down going almost 30 mph wasn't an option. (I'm just pointing out what can be change to make the race better thats it) bottom line it was part my fault, but more blame to the race director (notice, not the volunteers they did a great job and  even the ones at transition felt horrible about the whole situation

I'm just saying, for $110 and a USAT sanctioned event I expected more. But I still had a great time, camping was awesome and meet some great people so I'm happy.

tmoran80 - 2010-06-28 5:19 PM No offense dude - but you are on beginnertriathlete.com complaining about not having a pace car for the leader.  I wouldn't even know what a pace car would look like - but then again that is why I am on beginnertriathlete.com. 

I didn't have any issues with the signs on course - yeah agree they should have provided a better bike race course map.  But each turn and intersection were well staffed and informative.

The helmet thing I just don't understand.  My wife was by the transition area and said she say several people leave without helmets.  She said one guy even left transition area with his swim cap still on -lol.   Supposedly they took thier bib numbers but like someone else mentioned there were no penalties issued.

Overall I think it was a good race and fairly well organized for the conditions.  I will do it again next year.

rosalestri - 2010-06-28 10:26 AM - swim was short, I have no doubt about that... (I was sub 17 mins, and I usually swim 18 low)

2010-06-29 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Just not used to seeing people on this website who actually win races-lol  Anyways it is actually interesting to see your perspective since you probably gauge a race way different then I would.  Like I said overall I was pretty happy with it minus the mud  - I was also wondering about the swim being short too - I usually pace around 1:32/100Y and was 1:27.  Even on the turnaround one guy made the comment "too short!".

Checked out your blog too - congrats on the wins this year.  Good luck with the rest of the season.
2010-06-29 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2950815

User image

Regular
Mankato
Thanks, 

yeah I'm pretty sure the swim was short (I was dragging a little bit and still went 17 mins low) I'm sure all the little details I mentioned will be fixed for next year, it is an amazing course don't get me wrong and the swim along the shore makes it very fast.

best of luck to you too =) I'll be back in WI for Racine 70.3, can't wait for that one!

Cheers,
Jose

tmoran80 - 2010-06-29 12:05 PM Just not used to seeing people on this website who actually win races-lol  Anyways it is actually interesting to see your perspective since you probably gauge a race way different then I would.  Like I said overall I was pretty happy with it minus the mud  - I was also wondering about the swim being short too - I usually pace around 1:32/100Y and was 1:27.  Even on the turnaround one guy made the comment "too short!".

Checked out your blog too - congrats on the wins this year.  Good luck with the rest of the season.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Foot Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed