YMCA Camp St. Croix
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 38/87
Age Group = Women 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15, oatmeal with peanut butter and brown sugar, out the door by 5:15. Matt drove, and we got there and unpacked just as transition and packet pick-up were opening at 6. Matt volunteered, so I didn't get to see him too much, but I think he had more fun than just spectating.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little bit, light stretching. Ate cookie (oatmeal raisin walnut), hydrated, sunscreened (though not well enough).
Swim
  • 15m 33s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

More concerned about band-aids on elbow and shoulder coming off than worrying about nasty water - good. Didn't settle into a good rhythm until about 1/3 of the way through. Stopped at kayak at first turn to give her my nasty elbow band-aid so I didn't leave it in the river. Second turn was a bit wide. Still horribly slow, but that's ok. 100 yd run-- 3:32, beach path was tough-- 5:19 (rank 9 in AG, 67 of women).
What would you do differently?:

Still need more OWS practice and to get used to nasty water and not freaking out. Practice, practice, practice.
Transition 1
  • 07m 18s
Comments:

Time seems long, but I guess I was pretty beat after the beach path? Took wetsuit off at water's edge and had trouble. Ate 2 Gu chomps because I felt really drained after the beach path. First tri with clipless pedals, and I think I did OK with them.

Learn to do running mounts, have shoes already clipped to pedals.
Bike
  • 51m 1s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs felt a bit heavy at the start, so I tried to spin to get them loosened up. Eventually got going ok and got to pass a few people (and be passed, too). Was good to see Matt at 2 pts in the course - gave me an extra boost. Probably could have drunk a bit more, and I still feel a little timid due to my crash 2 weeks ago. Still pretty pleased with my bike performance, though.

Learn some better bike handling so that I can feel more comfortable going fast, and drinking while going faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Fingers were a little shaky trying to tie my right shoe (left shoe has elastic laces, rt. foot is smaller, so elastic laces don't keep the shoe on tight enough).

Learn faster techniques -- riding with feet on top of shoes, jumping off moving bike, etc. Practice.
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I think something is goofy with the time or distance - I don't do 8:29 miles in a stand-alone 5k. Lead legs, tried to keep turnover up. Form was probably pretty ugly. Seemed to take forever to get to halfway pt. Had some nasty side cramps - due to poor form, breathing, dehydration? That ravine sucked. Tough run, but fairly pleased with myself for only walking a little bit (I wanted to walk a lot more).

Work on strength and core to keep form nice, prevent (?) side cramps. Need to learn to drink faster and not wait around the water stop to finish my water.
Post race
Warm down:

walked a little bit, sat in grass in shade and ate orange and drank water and talked to Mike, Katie, and Matt (when he got there)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Humidity, need to practice OWS and some other things a bit more, didn't really train the past two weeks due to bike injury.

Event comments:

Fun race - more for fun than super competitiveness. Challenging, but not impossible course.

Last updated: 2010-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:33 | 600 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 52/87
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: St. Croix River, low current. Dark water, but not muddy. Sand beach, no noticeable weeds (thank goodness). Out, turn, and back (rectangle).
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 07:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:01 | 15 miles | 17.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 33/87
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Country roads, lightly traveled (except maybe for MM, but that has good shoulders). Course got cleaned up nicely after last night's storms.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:27 | 03 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 42/87
Performance: Average
Course: Trails -- grass, mud, gravel, mulch, mud with mulch on top, and a little bit of asphalt. Huge (to me) ravine at the beginning and end - ouch. More exposed (sunny) than I expected.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes