Camp Lutherhaven
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 22m 48s
Overall Rank = 17/133
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Registered and chatted with a couple of people then took off.
Event warmup:

I ran 3.25 miles as a warm up because I had a 7 mile run on the schedule for today. I was very warm when the race began. I wasn't feeling like I wanted to race today. Still sluggish and fatigued from a long week at work.
Run
  • 22m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I intentionally did not run all out for this race. I had had a tough week at work due to storm restoration work that kept me from getting a normal amount of sleep. Another reason I didn't try to get carried away with he race is I have to get on track for my marathon training and recovery weeks right now are not in the plan.
I pushed harder than I wanted to but not all out and this might be called a really hard training run for me. I am very satisfied with the race results and my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Probably shouldn't have ran quite as hard, but it was fun.
Post race
Warm down:

To fill my mileage for the day I ran a very easy mile to get cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue and a desire to get ready for the marathon.

Event comments:

I would rate this race highly based on the challenging aspects of the hills. I will plan on doing this race again next year and maybe see if I can place first in my AG.

Last updated: 2010-06-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:48 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 1/133
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 7:01 Avg. HR 165 Max: 172 Lap 2: 7:59 Avg. HR 169 Max: 173 Lap 3: 7:42 Avg. HR 168 Max: 173 Lap 4: 6:38 Avg. HR 174 Max: 175
Course: This was a very challenging course. There were many hills and narrow trails that wound up and down the trails around the campground. The first mile was on the road with the first large hill around a half mile into the race. The turn around was about .25 miles past the crest of the hill and the course proceeded back the same route until it broke into the trail portion. The trails were easy to navigate through and well marked. Many of the sections of trail provided little room for passing if there was someone to pass. (Luckily for me I only passed 1 person on a wider stretch of trail.) There were plenty of hills here and one of the trail hills was short but very steep and very challenging for a non-trail runner. A very good course to make you work hard.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes