Village of Pleasant Prairie, RecPlex
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 49m 33s
Overall Rank = 223/416
Age Group = Don't know
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up @ 4:15 AM ate a clif bar, got all my stuff into the car and drove out to the race.
Event warmup:

Had to park in the remote lot. Had checked my bike in on Sat. Hopped on the bus there was no wait.

As soon as I got there, I set up my transition area. Chatted it up a bit with a few rack neighbors. Then the sky darkened and heard thunder. It started to rain and I went inside the recplex. Went to the bathroom and put my wetsuit on half way. They announced that the weather was improving and to get into "the bullpen" So that's what I did.

Swim
  • 39m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even though I had gone to the bathroom shortly before the start, I had to go AGAIN! My plan was to go in the suit. I just could not do this and ended up holding it till the race was over.

The water was excellent for swimming. I took my place at the back of the wave as I'm a slow swimmer. I tried to draft as much as possible and not overwork. Had some success with this. I actually was swimming rather well FOR ME! but had major siting issues. I was all over the place as per usual.

I finished the first side of the triangle fairly quickly to me. I was like HA! "I'll make sure to round the buoy as close as I can. Save some distance. Well I did that and feeling good I just kept on going. trouble is I rounded the buoy a little TOO much as if it was an out and back. I found myself literally going back towards the start with the next wave (or two?) coming towards me. lol ok Dave better go right and get back on course.

So the second leg of the triangle course did not start off well. Kept siting more to make sure THAT didn't happen again. But of course I zig zagged back and forth till I saw the next turn.

made the turn for home, and proceded to zig zag all the way back as efficiently as possible. (not so efficient)

Found myself at the end of the swim hurrah!
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim :)

Learn how to sight!

Um practice more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I put up my goggles, unzipped the top of my suit, while shuffling towards my bike. I did not take off the cap and goggles just yet as I remembered that it would take up a hand to carry them and slow down the rest of the suit removal. Despite practicing taking my suit off, it still took longer than it should have. un-racked the bike and clopped off shuffling with bike while wearing cycling shoes.

I need to practice with the shoes already being clipped to the bike. I know this will save time, but never tried it so did not try it in the race.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

We were very lucky that the course was dry and that it did not rain on us as it EASILY could have

Well I was trying to make this ride be the best segment. It was but wanted this to go better.

I probably started off too slowly and did not ride aggressive enough. Lots of people were riding two/three abreast and were blocking. i was not going to pass on the right and they took too long getting out of the way. perhaps I could have made it a little more urgent for them to move faster.

Found someone who was riding at a similar pace and we rode most of the course at the same speed. (No drafting...)

At one point I was passing while on a turn and a woman rider was on my right and went wide on the same turn, I had to take evasive action. She cussed me out! I was like uh hold your line? WTF?

I noticed that somehow or another I had stopped the bike computer. Probably as I was trying to tighten the mount that its on. It had come loose and I tried my best to tighten it while riding. from the handling of it I'm sure I stopped it. So after a while I realized it was not on, and re-started it.

"chain-dropper" began to live up to its name by dropping the chain half/way, I heard that tell tale sound and looked down to confirm my fear. I was able to get the chain back in position w/o dismounting, but it did slow me for a bit.

Eventually the course re-joined the sprint course, then there was mucho peeps in the way. mental note: try to go faster in the first half of course as there are less riders to get around.

Around this time, my puter mount got horribly loose. my garmin just spin around and i could not get it to seat right any longer. So I stopped using it. No longer knowing how fast I was riding, SUCKED but what can I do.

Shortly after this, my calf cramped up. I had been to summerfest on Friday and did my share of drinking. So no doubt was becoming a factor. I stretched it out on the bike, and slowed the pace down a bit. this did the trick.

Did the best I could on the rest of the course.

Not go on a bender same weekend as a Triathlon? hmmmm it was fun though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Had a pretty quick transition here. No complaints.

get my feet out of the cycling shoes while heading into T2
Run
  • 54m 59s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

My Garmin 405 is TOAST had no idea how fast/slow I was running.

Had cramps in both calves during mile 1 but after the first mile and the pace I was going at they calmed down.

After mile 2 the rain/storm came..... Drip drip, drop drop, BOOM! thunder and all of a sudden it was a heavy downpour. keeping cool was not a problem :) Splish/splash through puddles. a couple of miles later, We are rounding the lake nearest the power plant. Then a huge lightning bolt shot out. A woman that was running behind me then shouted "THIS RACE NEEDS TO BE OVER!" in a very scared shriek. I chuckled to myself as while I understood why she was scared, what can we do? She then shot passed me in a panic Guess that worked for here as she left me in the dust.

Two more woman were shouting back and forth "THEY SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!" meaning the issue with the thunderstorm. Ummm what can they do? try and enjoy it which I then did. I splished and splashed the rest of the way not knowing how fast I was going till I crossed the finish

Run faster? Bring soap?
Post race
Warm down:

Not long after I finished, I ran into AngieF02

We had an enjoyable chat in the rain. :)

Cold and wet walked to the bike transition to collect my stuff. Rode the mile or whatever to the remote parking lot, shivered, then got in the car and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, summerfest was a big factor. This being said, I would do the same all over again given the same choice. Have to live life too!

Last updated: 2010-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:04 | 1640 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 362/416
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Volt-sleeveless
Course: Triangle course in Lake Andrea. We swam counter-clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:49 | 24.85 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
Overall: 92/416
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Generally flat I guess as thats what most peeps say. I say it has a decent amount of rollers etc
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:59 | 06.2 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 269/416
Performance: Below average
Course: Head back out on 165 towards the outlet malls, then back and then around Lake Andrea
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-27 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon

2010-06-27 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2946549

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon
I forgot to add the part when while swimming    I literally swam into one of the buoys!   lol  I am such a crappy swimmer.  But that made me laugh while I was struggling out there.
2010-06-29 8:28 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Umm.. I pee in my wetsuit all the time when Im just standing there  heh

Nice job out there!

2010-06-29 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
AWESOME job on the race!!! Hey, if  it makes you feel any better about your swim, I had very close to the same swim time as you and mine was for the sprint!! :p Now who sucks at swimming??? :-) haha! Great to meet you and see you at Racine!!!
2010-06-30 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
SC
It's just pee!  Let er rip!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Rss Feed