Munroe Falls, Ohio
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 22s
Overall Rank = 57/200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first tri. I got up around 5:00, made sure I had everything ready to go and loaded up the car. Packet pick-up was race day morning so I wanted to get there right around 6:00 when they opened up. Got there waited in a small line and got my race packet. I then racked my bike and set up my transition area.
Event warmup:

Hadn't done an open water swim in quite a while so I got in early and swam around a little bit. Water was warm and I had no real concerns about the swim.
Swim
  • 06m 48s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt good. The water was about pool warm here in NE OH. I have never done an open water mass start so this was something new for me. I had a couple people swim up the back of me a little but got out of their way easy enough. I thought I sighted well and picked good spots to pass. It was a simple out and back along the lakes swim boundary. The swim waves were limited to 60 people I think so it really wasn't too bad. I felt very good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Get more open water swimming in. I also feel like a stood up and started walking too early, but was following what the rest of the people were doing. I would swim it all the way in next time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Being my first tri, I wasn't sure what to expect from transition. I didn't really practice this part at all. I should have. In the end both transitions probably cost me several places and I might have been able to go under 1:10 with better transitions. I was 136th out of 200 in this first transition. Oh well, I was looking at this as a training day anyway.

Run, as soon as I got out of the water I should have been running to my bike. I might see about riding sockless too. Maybe I'll start triyng that here soon. Not really sure about any other specifics, I just know that I was too slow. Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 36m 41s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was what I would consider my weakest link right now. I wasn't quite sure how I would do. I drove the course the previous weekend and was a little surprised at the little hills that were there. Those would prove to be no real problem though. One thing I was a little worried about was the bike start, let's just say that I'm not the most graceful and have had a little trouble with the clip-less pedals. I have had some trouble clipping in without holding onto to anything and almost decided to just ride in my running shoes. I did some more practicing on Saturday and decided to just give it a go. Turns out clipping in was no problem and I was off for the ride. I made a rookie mistake for the ride however, my water bottle was one with a cap you had to unscrew. As soon as I was riding I knew that I wouldn't be able to drink while riding (I got a new bottle after the race) being only a 12 mile ride it wasn't going to be a huge problem. Nothing really exciting to report on the ride, I was happy with time on the bike. I had a very outside goal of under 36 minutes there and came up just short.

Obviously a different bottle, that's already fixed for next time though. I need to practice holding my speed through turns a little more. That will come with an increase in my riding I suppose. I just need to ride more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again this was slow. Not exactly sure on the time, it was just lumped in with my run time. I had an issue with my right shoe. Felt like something was under the insole so I took it off and pulled it out to check. Nothing there. The other thing was the race number, I need to get a race belt to attach the number to. It was a PITA trying to pin that to me while running out of transition.

Race belt, and some sort of speed lace system, yankz, lock laces, etc. Practice, practice, practice.
Run
  • 25m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

T2 was lumped into the run time, I'm not exactly sure what the exact time was. The run was ok. I thought I could probably go a little better, I was hoping for somewhere right around 22 min, hard to say if I was there or not, my T2 might actually have been 2:34. I think I needed to a little better hydrated to run my best. Coming out of transition I should have grabbed some water that they were offering. I did get some to start lap 2, I even stopped so I could drink the full dixie cup. That seemed to help a little. I was able to run hard through the finish.

Taken water on that first lap.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and a few snacks. Walked around a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not drinking enough on the course

Event comments:

Good race for a first tri. I will probably do it again next year. I was happy with my first race. I think the newness of it all took a little away from my actual performance. I really don't like to do any of these races to just do them, I actually want to and try to race them. It was fun and I can't wait for August 8th to do my next.

Last updated: 2010-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:48 | 400 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 39/200
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:41 | 12 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 60/
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: About a mile from the park entrance to the main roads, then two laps on a 5 mile rectangle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:34 | 03.1 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 57/200
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops around driveways of park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?