United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 9s
Overall Rank = 36/180
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Ate leftover spaghetti at 4am. Had to leave real early for 7am start time with an hour and half drive in front of us. Eric (egates656), TJ (sharkey12) and I all went for a 1/2 mile jog or so. Mark was with us for his first Tri as well.
Event warmup:

Went for a jog of about 1/2 mile. Wanted to swim but by the time we got to the water there wasn't time.
Swim
  • 11m 36s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is what I am always most worried about and this one was the first one without a wetsuit and also my second one going counter clockwise. My first counter clockwise race didn't go so well since I mainly breathe on my right side but I didn't have too much trouble with that this time. I got tired on the way back in. Plus I had some person swimming on their back parallel to shore and perpendicular to me cross my path and cause me to hold up. I have no idea where they were going.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously it is easy to say swim more but it really is more than that. I need to actually not worry so much about distance as speed. My pool swims are usually just doing the yards at an pretty easy pace. However in the race I am swimming faster, or trying too, and it just makes it hard. A little disappointed in the swim time. I say average because it is only a little quicker than I would do in a pool but I should practice like I race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I have no idea what I did in transition for 2 min's. I didn't have a wetsuit, I already had on my shirt. It was grab the helmet, put on socks and shoes and go. It seemed quicker but these two minutes are very important.

Just be quicker, especially without a wetsuit.
Bike
  • 35m 37s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 20.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Right after you get on the bike and on to the road you are met with a hill that just burns since you haven't really gotten your legs just yet. It is also at this time that I realize I have the large chainring only. Last night everything was fine, today no smaller ring. It was a tough course for sure and it was also very fun. Traded positions with a girl on a lightspeed bike throughout. She caught me on the straights and I passed her on the hills. It was fun to be pushed.

Hill training. Looking at the course beforehand if possible. Ride the course and maybe check the gears the day of the race. More miles on the bike. But for this day I feel very very good.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

This is more like what my transitions should be. Still longer than I probably could of done but really maybe only 20 sec's quicker but the seconds do add in to total time.

Nothing really. Run faster with bike and out of transition area.
Run
  • 20m 23s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I was going to die on the first hill. It was straight up and right after the bike. I felt good though after getting off the golf course and onto the school grounds. It seems like a lot of down hill running. I didn't feel as fast as my time but I did feel fast. I didn't get passed on the run and passed a few so that felt good. I knew my finish was going to be pretty decent since the course wound around and I could see people in front of me. It kept me going for sure.

Nothing. This is a new PB 5K time. My PB time also was just a 5K run so here I am feeling pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Water. Very thirsty at the end even though I had plenty of water on the course. It was getting hot and fast. Sat in the shade and waited for my buddies to finish. We waited around for the trophy presentation and to see the last guy finish. He happened to be 80 and a General so that was pretty cool. As we were standing around telling war stories I hear my name called. I knew I had finished 36th and that was very cool. Sharkey12 finished 2 places higher I think. But they actually were telling me I finished 3rd in my age group. I have hardware. I am completely shocked. I am also on cloud nine. It is a Gold horses shoe with a black plate inscription. Very very cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training for sure, I have been so inconsistant to start the season but then to place in my first race of the season isn't so bad either. Lack of sleep the two nights before and basically no sleep last night....2 1/2 hours. Plus the slow T1. Why that is important is that the winner in my age group was 1 min faster....1 minute!

Event comments:

This was the first year for this race and they didn't expect the turnout to be what it was. They ran out of shirts and only had mediums and 2XL's. I took the bigger one since a medium would be handed down to my wife or son. It started 30 min's late waiting on finding 2 replacement lifeguards you didn't show but it was really no big deal. Although having an extra 30 min's sleep would of been nice and leaving at 5am instead of 4:30 would of been nice. Great fun and I will definately go back next year to improve upon my 3rd place. I do not know age group ranks yet and will edit when I get the results.

Last updated: 2005-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:36 | 600 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 55/180
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Kind of a U or V shape. We went from shore out to a bouy and then around the dock of boats back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:37 | 12.2 miles | 20.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 31/180
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Hilly and longer and more hills than I ever get to train on. It was pretty much an out and back although we entered the grounds at a different point than we exited.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:23 | 02.8 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 34/180
Performance: Good
Course: Culver Academy's cross country course around the grounds. Maybe 10 percent of it was on pavement and the rest on grass. Tough course again though because the first hill on the course again was part of the bike course hill and an escalator would of been nice. I bet it was 10 degrees or greater. Then onto a golf course and up 2 more of the same type hills and some steep downhills. The rest was pretty flat with the occassional hill but nothing like the first 3/4 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-10 3:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Culvers Fitness Center Triathlon

2005-07-10 5:16 PM
in reply to: #194214

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Culvers Fitness Center Triathlon
Amazing!! Great job overall and congrats on the third place finish. You are FAST!
Jessica
2005-07-10 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
smoking hot!!! congrats on the hardware.

ken
2005-07-11 7:27 AM

Veteran
WOW! Impressive! Nice race. I'll need to train harder if I have a chance to beat you this fall at the Boilerman. Keep it up!
2005-07-11 12:20 PM

User image

West Lafayette, Indiana
Nice job on the race yesterday.  It was nice to hang out with you and your friends for a while.  I am still impressed that you did the whole bike on the big chain ring and lived to tell about it.  Those were some big hills.  Also, nice job placing in your age group.  You were very close to first place.  And that is the coolest hardware I have seen at any event.
2005-07-12 7:43 AM
in reply to: #194870

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Man, you are just awesome Jim! Congrats on the award! You must have that Lance high LT :-) Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culvers Fitness Center Triathlon Rss Feed