Bristol, RI
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 15s
Overall Rank = 29/128
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Met up with my group in lobby of hotel at 5am. Picked-up coffee, water and bagel with peanut butter on way to race site. Checked in and setup transition area. It was friggin' cold! Rained heavily the night before and the morning was clouded over with strong wind gusts coming off the water. I wasn't so excited about jumping in for the swim start. 3-4ft swells were waiting...
Event warmup:

Light jog. Tried to get some blood flowing. Put on the iPod--that did a better job of getting me going than the jog. A few minutes before the start I waded into the water and swam briefly. Ate 1/2 a powerbar and drank some fluids.
Swim
  • 08m 39s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The beach is a real problem at this race. Sharp shells litter the beach. I managed to cut my foot during the exit. Once you get passed the shells, there is a mine field of round rocks that are extremely uncomfortable to walk/run on.

3-4 ft swells going out and across led to swallowing lots of salt water. I kept running into people doing breaststroke (I guess to site). Getting around them took time. Overall, very pleased with my performance. This was my first open water swim in a race. I enjoyed the adventure. The current must of helped me somewhere, because I don't swim that fast.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly start near the front of my wave. Since I consider myself slow in the water, I didn't want to get pummeled by faster swimmers. I ended-up doing most the pummeling.

Work on not swallowing so much water!
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Overall speed was good. I fumbled too much with getting on gloves. Suit came off extremely easy with Glide around ankles. It's a perfect solution.

I wish I felt more comfortable going without gloves. I've had my share of bike crashes and road rash on the hands is not such a good thing...
Bike
  • 33m 22s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

The first lap on the bike I felt really nauseous from all the salt water I had just dined on. I thought for sure I was going to lose it. That slowed me down for sure over the first 3-4 miles. The nausea eventually settled and my pace quickened. I was only passed by one rider--the guy that won the race (and set a new course record). Other people tried to pass, but I reeled them in successfully.

Substitute salt water for Gatorade!

I also needed to drink more while on bike; the nausea kept me from doing so.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Nothing to comment about here. Quick racking of bike and changing of shoes, then off.
Run
  • 23m 40s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off OK, but almost immediately got cramps in both calves. Had to stop and stretch. About 2 minutes into run after stretching, my left shoe felt loose. I stopped to tighten the speed laces and resumed running. Another couple of minutes my left shoe felt loose again. I stopped to tighten the laces, only to discover that the speed laces had exploded. It took another 20 sec to tie the remaining laces tight enough to keep shoe on.

After stretching and fumbling with shoes I slowly managed to get into a decent pace. I was passed by two people--the woman that won the overall women's division (she flew!), and a guy I happened to be at the race with.

Overall satisfied with my run. I just wish I had the minute or so back I burned stretching and lacing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Had bagel, drink and some ice cream.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Of course, I need to train more. This was my second triathlon, so I'm pretty pleased with my performance. I did much better on the swim and run in this race. I expect to keep improving.

Event comments:

The one thing that will keep from doing this race again is the condition of the beach. Although no fault of the race organizers, the natural terrain of the beach is dangerous for running on barefoot. As I mentioned above, I cut my foot during the exit, and so did two other guys that came with me to the race. With so many other races in the area, that's a real disincentive to return. Too bad, because otherwise the race was well organized.

Last updated: 2005-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:39 | 500 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 40/128
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Counterclockwise swim from beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:22 | 11 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Overall: 20/128
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: After lead-out from transition area, consisted of 3 loops in park. Areas of slight down and up-grades. No major hills. Windy, with head and side gusts coming off water.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:40 | 03 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 32/128
Course: One of the loops around park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-10 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Subject: Try the Tri!

2005-07-10 8:56 PM
in reply to: #194310

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Try the Tri!

Nice race...you were smoking!! Even with your shoe problems your run time was terrific.

Excellant bike time...even with that saltwater swallowed during the swim. You must of passed me at some point....I was only passed by men on the bike.

I did the race as well and wore my wetsuit booties I bought for cold water swimming and they helped a lot with the shells and rocks. Last time my feet got cut up as well. They worked like a charm. I did trip and fall over a big rock on the way out of the water. I agree the race is a bit disorganized...I helped in the begining handing out t-shirts since no one was doing it. My hubby helped with the event...that way I raced for free.

If you do it again, check the tide...the swim length varies since they just use the bouys...if it is out it is short, and if it is in much longer. The tide was about half way in this time.

We should have had a BT meeting spot ..there were about 6-8 BTer there..I only found one other.

2005-07-11 12:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
You did a great job! That was a tough swim. I think the current did help me a little too. I was BOP but I got lots of encouragment from the FOP and MOP during the race. It was really great.
Patty
2005-07-11 11:09 AM

Elite Veteran
Congrats on a great race. You really hammered all three legs. I hope your cut heals soon. Ouch.
2005-07-11 11:28 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Great Job!

Those are some great times.
2005-07-11 1:21 PM
in reply to: #194805

Veteran
The Emerald City
Nice race and great report!  Congratulations.

2005-07-11 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Great race!

Did you start with the first timer wave or the age groupers? Looking at my times compared to yours, if you were in the first time group we must've been fairly close to each other up until the run.
2005-07-12 9:08 AM
in reply to: #195450

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

burniect,

I went with my age group. I read your race report. You're right, we had almost identical times.  Have you considered the Cranberry Country Triathlon in Lakeville, MA? That's the next one I'm doing in this area (my next tri is mid August in New York).

2005-07-12 5:27 PM
in reply to: #195768

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
I'm there! Had heard good things about Cranberry Country and assumed I'd be hooked after this past weekend's Try the Tri. Registered a few weeks back. Have 1 more local sprint planned for the 11th of August before making the trip to Lakeville.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try the Tri! Rss Feed