General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tape or Glue? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-02 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Tape or Glue?
Ok Kids,

I'm just about to pull the pin and buy some new area wheels These will be my first set of Tubular wheels as I've only ever run clinchers before. While I've been doing my research on them I've got a few questions over how you attach them.

First, pre-strech the tyre.
Is this purely by doing a dry fit of the tyre, inflate and leave for 24hrs?

Now for the big question.

Glue:
I've read that it takes a few days to do properly, 2 coats on Rim and 1 coat on tyre, leave 24hrs between each coat then final coat on rim and fit tyre while still wet to allow you to seat it properly? So that's at least 3 days to fit a new tyre?

Tape:
Pretty much put tape on, fit tyre and inflate?

What do you guys do? I presume if I Glue, then fitting a replacement mid race would have to be pre-glued too? do you have to re-fit after race to make sure it's all ok? Presume you have to clean the old glue off when re-fitting a new tyre properly?

How does the tape work when changing tyres? Is it new tape every time?

2010-07-03 5:31 AM
in reply to: #2957521

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: Tape or Glue?
I glue and have had no issues but I will be watching the responses as I have a friend who uses tape. I may switch based upon responses.
2010-07-03 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I wasn't able to find data (but it is out there) that shows that taping a tubular results in a slower tyre than gluing one.  Further, Al Morrison's data indicates that the best gluing method is three coats on the rim and two on the tire; however, in this case the only way that you are going to remove your tire on race day is with a razor blade.

When I raced with tubulars I carried a can of Vittoria Pitstop and my plan was to hit the tire with that and if it worked then I would finish.  If it didn't, then my plan was to DNF the race as I didn't carry a spare tubular and razor blade (this was short course racing).  If I was racing long course, I would carry the Pitstop but also a prestreched and preglued (actually just a tubular from a couple of season before) and a razor blade.  If the Pitstop didn't work, cut the tire across the bead, stick my thumb in the tire and peel it off.  Put the spare on, inflate and go.

You would definitely want to properly glue the spare after the race but you don't need to clean the rim of all glue.  If you pick off any big chunks of old dry glue you will be fine when you install the new tire.

Curious as to why have you decided to go with tubulars?

Shane
2010-07-03 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I'd strongly suggest you reconsider and get clincher instead.

Tubulars are a pain and with new clincher if there is a difference is is small. When you get a flat on a tubular it costs $50-100 to change, with clinchers just a tube $5. Plus others have tubes so you aren't stuck as often as with tubulars. Many shops won't touch them anymore so it means doing the work yourself.

Last year I got flats before races twice so I was in a bind to get it fixed asap which means paying someone to do it so I think I spent over $200..with clinchers $10 and I can do it easily myself.

I had Zipp 404s tubulars and sold them and got clincher 404s and even though it cost me money in long run less worry, less expensive when flats, and I'm glad I made the switch. I wish someone had encouraged me to go with clinchers first time.

2010-07-03 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2959463

User image

Regular

Curious as to why have you decided to go with tubulars?

Shane

I'm getting some Planet X wheels for next to nothing really and they come as Tubulars.  I've got them to fit them for me for a few £'s but I'll get into changing them myself.

I'm pretty handy when it comes down to the mechanical stuff so it's no great shakes really, I'm sure the first time will be a right b1tch though. I've ordered some Tufo tape as a backup I chicken out or have a real emergency.

I've also ordered a can of pitstop, and will geta  spare tube pre-glued as a spare. At the mo I'm only racing myself and moving up from BOP to MOP (heading for back of FOP if I can get my running to improve), so I'd rather fix it that DNF even if takes me 20 mins!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tape or Glue? Rss Feed