United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 42s
Overall Rank = 34/87
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5:00 a.m. Had breakfast and packed up and left at 5:30 A.M. Got to the race at 6:00 amd racked my bike and got the transition area set up.
Event warmup:

Went on a short jog before the race meeting with Jim and Eric who were also doing the race.
Swim
  • 09m 42s
  • 587 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went pretty well. I was not use to swimming counter clockwise but it was not to much of a problem. With waves of only 25 people going at once it was not very crowded. It did seem like it took forever to get out of the water due to it being so low. I tried to swim to the shore as far as I could but it was still along way to finally get there.
What would you do differently?:

Work on bi-latteral breathing. Also, remember to start my watch, Duh.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Well, I decided to try something different this race and I had cages on my bike instead of cleats, so I just found my bike, slipped on my shoes and helmet and took off. It worked out pretty well.

For the next race, I think I will take the advice of a fellow BTer and use my bike shoes and pedals for the bike portion. I think the cages slowed my performance on the bike a bit. Overall it was one of the fastest transitions I have had.
Bike
  • 39m 1s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

The course had a lot of hills and was challenging but I thought it was a good course. It was an out and back with some flat areas about halfway thru the course.

Like I said earlier. This is where I need to improve the most. I need more hill work. As you can tell from my age group rank I did good on the swim and run but the bike hurt me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

T2 went very fast for me. All I had to do was rack my bike, take off my helmet, grab my hat and race number and take off.

Nothing
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I still can't belive the time I finished in. I have never run that fast before. It sure didn't feel that fast. I have a 5K coming up in a couple of weeks so I will see if I can beat this time.

Do more bricks and need some more hill work.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some walking and lite stretching. Looked for the Fort Wayne crew to see how they did.

Event comments:

This was the first year for this race but I thought it went very well. It was nice to get to meet some fellow BTers at the race and talk. I will definitly do this one again next year.

The pictures below are of me crossing the finish line and the other is a picture with fellow BTers, Rio and Egates656.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:42 | 587 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 28/87
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: The swim went in waves of 25 people every 2 minutes. It was a run into the water until it was deep enough to start swimming. The actual swim was a modified "v" shape. It went around a boat dock and thru some boats.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:01 | 12.2 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Overall: 47/87
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: It was an out and back with some good size hills starting out and finishing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:30 | 03.1 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 25/87
Performance: Good
Course: It was a mostly grassy course running all over the Culver Academy grounds. It had some killer hills to start out and then was pretty flat for the rest. The finish was along the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes