United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Not much. Ran around for a bit just to get blood flowing. Lots of time for suffering later.
Run
  • 1h 14m 5s
  • 8.2 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a fairly simple race. 3.8 miles up to Peavine Falls. 4.4 miles back down. 1130 total feet of climbing.

Coming into this is was significantly undertrained. The weather has been brutal. The goal was to just get to the top and let the downhill part take care of itself. I anticipated running 10:30-11 minute miles on the way up and 8s on the way down.

Splits:

Mile 1: 8:24
Mile 2: 9:46
Mile 3: 9:44
Mile 4: 8:48
Mile 5: 8:49
Mile 6: 7:54
Mile 7: 9:09
Mile 8: 9:43

Surprisingly good ascent (miles 2 and 3 are the big uphill parts). I was slower coming down than I wanted, but my legs were pretty toasty at that point. The last mile was on singletrack and was rolling terrain, so not as bad as it looked. Once on the singletrack I had a conga line of 10 runners behind me, but noone wanted to pass. I was really suffering trying to stay at a decent pace. Not a quarter mile from the end I did manage to take a tumble on the singletrack - I think the root reach up and grabbed me. Luckily managed to do a one point landing on my shoulder and rolled over. Lost a bit of time there, but I looked a lot better than other folks in the medical tent (a number of folks went down).
What would you do differently?:

Manage to train more. I'm not broken up over it, though.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just general running fitness. I had done basically no hill running that I had planned. I couldn't even complete normal runs in the weather we had. Very lucky that the weather was so nice this morning.

Overall a good effort. I was expecting a significantly slower result.

Event comments:

Overall a good race. For the $5 entry fee you get a nice, well run race. Not much in the way of frills, but no need for any. The terrain is all the excitement you need.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:05 | 08.2 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Course profile attached.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good