General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High heat/humidity and running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-05 6:43 PM

Veteran
Subject: High heat/humidity and running
It seems quite a bit of the country is hot these days. I've found it to be a tad discouraging to try progressing in distance only to be thwarted by the near 90 degree temps with 70-90% humidity levels. Several long bricks have been shortened because of it. 3-4 hour bike rides go fine but the run is cut in half. I'm going to try increasing my fluid intake during the bike figuring my pre and post workout weight points to dehydration. Anyone else have similar issues and how have you dealt with it?

2010-07-05 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2962181

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: High heat/humidity and running
Run early morning (1st choice) or in the evening (2nd choice).

Drink.  Lots.  Stash bottles on the run if necessary.

Taking a short break each mile helps some people.

Run in the shade.  In a heavily wooded area is good.

Where a visor and sunglasses.

Wear as little clothing as you can get away with or are comfortable with.

Acknowledge that you will be slower.  Don't try to run the pace you would in 50 degrees.

Unless you are feeling the symptoms of heat exhaustion, suck it up and go.
2010-07-05 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2962233

Veteran
I've done all that except for running early morning. Part of my reasoning is that you can't choose the weather race day. I'll be starting the run portion of my IM Wisconsin arouind 3pm when, traditionally it's been hot and humid, much like we're currently experiencing here in Indiana. So how else can I acclimate to those conditions unless I'm in them? Kinda like acclimating to altitude.  Unless these are conditions in which one really can't get acclimated.
2010-07-05 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Definitely take in ALOT of fluids. I just ended up with a severe case of heat exhaustion and wound up on oxygen and in the ER with an IV. This all took place right as I crossed the finish line of a sprint down here last weekend. It was 90 with very high humidity, and what really did me in was
1. pushing the pace and 2. the course was extremely hilly
I felt pretty good until the run and that is what did it, the steep hills.

Looking back, I should have hydrated more, but more importantly, listened to my body. I am very competitive, so that is hard for me.

Like was already stated, you may need to cut back your pace(s) to be safe. There is no getting used to high humidity.

Good luck.
2010-07-05 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
2010-07-05 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2962287

Veteran
Glad you're ok DJS, must have been a scary experience.  I guess between you two I guess the answer is more fluids and a slower pace. Thanks guys-good luck this year!

2010-07-05 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2962287

User image

Expert
DJS - 2010-07-05 9:24 PM Definitely take in ALOT of fluids. I just ended up with a severe case of heat exhaustion and wound up on oxygen and in the ER with an IV. This all took place right as I crossed the finish line of a sprint down here last weekend. It was 90 with very high humidity, and what really did me in was

Looking back, I should have hydrated more, but more importantly, listened to my body. I am very competitive, so that is hard for me.

Like was already stated, you may need to cut back your pace(s) to be safe. There is no getting used to high humidity.

Good luck.

How were you able to tell when you finished? did it feel different than bonking? ive thought about this myself to try and be careful of signs but  im not sure what the signs are exactly.
2010-07-05 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2962295

Veteran
Thanks isselle. I have neglected electrolyte balance for sure. The articles will help. Thanks much!
2010-07-05 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2962295

User image

Expert

wow x2 on those articles really good stuff
2010-07-05 9:47 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
imim - 2010-07-05 6:43 PM

It seems quite a bit of the country is hot these days. I've found it to be a tad discouraging to try progressing in distance only to be thwarted by the near 90 degree temps with 70-90% humidity levels. Several long bricks have been shortened because of it. 3-4 hour bike rides go fine but the run is cut in half. I'm going to try increasing my fluid intake during the bike figuring my pre and post workout weight points to dehydration. Anyone else have similar issues and how have you dealt with it?

Ugh... my running pace has gone down the toilet with the heat and humidity. It's so... discouraging. I do pretty good for 3 miles, then I just start to break down.

I use to keep a 9:30 mm pace pretty easy. Now I struggle with keep around a 10:40 mm.. thanks to all the walking.

I carry a 20 oz handheld water bottle and stop at stores along the way to refill. Or I plan a route where I can get back to my car.

2010-07-05 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
When it is really hot and humid, I will still do my normal routine of running in the middle of the day (I can only run at lunch) but I will do a few things different. 1) I will slow down about 1 min/mile for the first several days until I start to acclimate to the humidity. 2) I will carry a bottle of EFS with my on my run even if it is a short 4-5 miler. EFS (First Endurance) had a ton of electrolytes which helps. What ever you use drink often and early. A Fuel Belt would also be a good investment if you are not comfortable carrying a water bottle in your hands. 3) Ensure you are well hydrated before you head out on a hot humid day.

2010-07-06 12:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Manly
i can loose a large large large amount of sweat when doing a fast ride or running sometimes 3kg.... it is actually quite hard to keep up the hydration but will try based on those articles.
2010-07-06 9:14 AM

Slow down. Drink early & often. I'm not affected by the heat that much, but I also (even when its not hot) start very slowly. My body doesn't heat up until after I've been out there for a while & its easier to manage. I also drink very frequently, small sips of ice water (insulated bottle). I run with someone who does NOT handle the hit well & IMO, one of his biggest problems is that he starts REALLY fast. And even if you're only going 3/4 miles, when its really humid you need water early. Remember, when you *feel* thirsty, is when you're already dehydrated.
2010-07-06 10:03 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Those of you who say it's difficult to stay hydrated, are you hydrating through out every day? The best way I find to battle dehydration on a run is to go in very hydrated to start with.  It's far easier to keep up with a heavy sweat rate (which I have) if I'm starting fully topped off.  When I run in the afternoon I make sure I've had 2-3 liters of water prior to starting the run. 
2010-07-06 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2962320

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
mkarr0110 - 2010-07-05 8:46 PM
DJS - 2010-07-05 9:24 PM Definitely take in ALOT of fluids. I just ended up with a severe case of heat exhaustion and wound up on oxygen and in the ER with an IV. This all took place right as I crossed the finish line of a sprint down here last weekend. It was 90 with very high humidity, and what really did me in was

Good luck.

How were you able to tell when you finished? did it feel different than bonking? ive thought about this myself to try and be careful of signs but  im not sure what the signs are exactly.

I really didn't know it was coming on but I just didn't feel right the last 1-1.25mi of the run. I would be doing relatively ok until I had to climb yet another hill and then I would start getting light-headed again. The big problem was the last 3 blocks of the run was up a steep hill. I sprinted (the best I could) that part and when I hit the finish line, it was game over.
Looking back, I should have walked some of the hills like others were doing, but my competitive nature(and my mind) said to not be a pu$$y, suck it up and keep moving. To me, if I had to walk, then I failed, and that I can't live with.
With that said, I won't push that hard in those same circumstances again as it isn't worth dying for a triathlon.
Funny thing is, as I sat there with the oxygen on, trying to breath, I was hoping all would work out and I wouldn't be a "topic" on the BT forum about the guy who had a heat stroke and died. it is very odd the things that go through your mind when you are "out of it".
I definitely learned alot that day and that I still have alot to learn about proper hydration, slowing down, etc. when conditions are like that.
2010-07-07 6:51 AM

Veteran
Hydration and electrolyte balance I think is the issue for me. While I am well hydrated before a workout, my sweat rate must be much higher than I think. Yesterday morning, after emptying a full bladder (clear, slightly yellow) my run was 5 miles/45 min, in Z1 yet I lost almost 2 pounds in that short time (nearly a fourth of a gallon!!). I drank 20 ounces from a hip pack while on the run. If I had added a multi-hour ride beforehand, the loss would've been greater.

I too have experienced the symptoms of hyperthermia including lightheadedness/dizziness and have immediately stopped running and walked it off. When the symptoms appear my workout is over as the damage has been done. It's as disappointing as an injury. I must have been spoiled by the cooler temps in northern Wisconsin from where I recently moved-hydration was an issue there too but not nearly to level as here in Indiana!

Good comments everybody!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High heat/humidity and running Rss Feed