Canada
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m 36s
Overall Rank = 204/545
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/84
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 2:30 and consumed 700 calories then back to bed until 6o'clock. Went for bagel with peanut butter and coffee with a banana. Sipped on sports drink up until swim.
Event warmup:

Take a gel then do a quick swim a few minutes prior to race.
Swim
  • 38m 58s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

My favorite swim goggles broke the day before. I bought the exact same pair. When I went in for my warm up, my gogles leaked on one eye. I wear contacts so this is a problem. I had to keep surfacing and letting the water out of my eye. After a while I decided to keep my one eye shut and do minimum sighting. It wasn't perfect but it did work. Got out of the swim took off my gogles and my contact was somewhere in my eyeball but not were it was suppose to be. I can know see large objects everything else is very fuzzy.
What would you do differently?:

Have a backup pair of goggles.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

This was my day to experiment with everything that I had been planning. It was not to race but to have a good planned training session. I already had my race belt and number under my wetsuit, trisuit was on with the top undone, oherwise it rubbs on my shoulder while swimming. Put on heart rate monitor, grabbed my peanut butter and jam sandwich, put on bike gloves and off I go.

Speed up this process
Bike
  • 2h 59m 40s
  • 90 kms
  • 30.06 km/hr
Comments:

Nutrition and Hydration was just perfect on the bike, very pleased about the way that went. I'm embarrassed to say it but I did pee on the bike 2 times. A big downward hill with great speed helped with this situation. I also got a drafting penalty were I had to get off my bike and hold it up and then resume riding. I was going up this huge hill and this girl was in fron of me. We were both grinding with all our might to get up, there is no way I had enough steam to pass here. A motorcycle pulled up and gave me the penalty. I didn't think it was fair but I was in no situation to argue. The hard part was to get my bike started halfway up a hill from a dead start, without interfering with other riders coming up the hill. I almost fell off before I could get the bike moving again.

Practise riding on hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Took my time again and tried to think off everything. My contact finally foundits way back into the centre of my eyeball so everything looks alot better know. Put my GPS on and away I went.

Bring onother pair of socks. Mine were soaking wet from peeing in them. Gross. Bring a hat, 90 degree weather and no shade is hard to handle.
Run
  • 1h 56m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

All my planning and experimenting went well all day until I go to the run. With the heat and the hills it was impossible to maintain my pace. I found myself running my pace for about 4 to 5 minutes then walking for a while, then doing this all over again. I couldn't seem to settle into a slow constant pace. I was really dissapointed about this situation. I was well hydrated and well fed, I did manage to find a slower manageable pace toward the least quarter of the race, it was far from perfect.

I have to learn to run at different pace levels. For some reason, I seem to think its fast or nothing. That really does well for shorter flatter courses.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a short time, then went under a cold shower at the race site.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, ability to alter my pace, don't run in pee soaked socks, and don't allow your shoes to get full of water from the aid stations. Pour water on head not on shoes.

Event comments:

Demanding race with lots of challenges, definetely one I will continue to do.

Last updated: 2005-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:58 | 2000 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 282/545
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Double loop course with a short run on the beach to continue the 2nd loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:59:40 | 90 kms | 30.06 km/hr
Overall: 295/545
Wind: Headwind
Course: The website kept mentioning that a large portion off the bike course will be repaved next year, not something you want to hear about this year. Very hilly course with hills that are compounded by more hills. Headwing on the way back. The biggest hills in my area are overpasses.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:56:44 | 13.1 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 136/545
Performance: Bad
Course: Very hilly course with good amount of water stations. Poorly paved highway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes