General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle Pain and the Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-14 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: Ankle Pain and the Bike
Ive had a pretty persistant (about two week) pain in the back of my ankles such that my running shoes which are snug to the ankle (my preferred fit) are causing alot of discomfort. I originally thought this pain was a result of the snug fit of my shoes and longer running but on the bike last night I realized the injury/pain is a result of my bike rides as the discomfort level was about a 6-7 on a 10 scale. Hindsight being 20/20 I realized this began the day after I had a 3 hour 42 mile ride. I dont have a fantastic bike set up im using my wifes MTB I have no bike specific shoes/pedals I just use my running shoes. Is this a result of my pedaling motion or is it mechanical error as in I need a different setup? I keep the seat pretty high such that my leg is near fully extened while riding so Im not sitting too low. I have a ZERO new bike budget however a different pedal setup is feasible. Any advice or similar experiences?

2004-04-14 2:04 PM
in reply to: #18402

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Ankle Pain and the Bike
Your problem is a perplexing one. You insist that it must be the result of riding the bike but I have never heard of anyone having ankle pain from riding a bike?!? The most common complaints are hip probems from the seat being too high or knee pain from the seat being too low. I suspect that your ankle problems are the result of ill fitting shoes or bad running form. Did you get your shoes from a reputable running shop and were you fitted for them?
2004-04-14 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Yeah I was fitted for the shoes at a great running store they're Saucony Hurricanes and have been wearing them for several weeks with runs up to 1:45 and never had ankle problems in fact they've helped almost eliminate problems with shin splints. I have been doing some minor alterations with my running in that im trying to increase my stride little bits at a time. And trying to run with a more "Proud Carriage" as Friel suggests. I initially thought it could have been from that but I ran several times this weekend and last week without any major discomfort. It really hit when I was on the bike last night.
2004-04-14 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Just for good measure, you might as well fit the mountain bike as carefully as you can. Everyone seems to have different methods, but here's what I was taught:

For seat height, sit on your seat with your leg fully extended in the shoes you wear for cycling. With the ball of your foot on the pedal, your heel should be even with or slightly (as in millimeters, not much) higher than the ball. It helps to have someone get right down there and look at this for you. Fix your seat height there and make only very small changes, marking on your seat post where you started so you can keep track of the changes.

For fore/aft seat placement, have the crank horizontal with your foot on the pedal. A plumb line dropped from your knee cap should intersect the pedal axle or be just behind it. This works on a road bike, but I can't swear for mountain bikes.

Also, be sure your seat is as level as possible, your tires are inflated to their psi rating, your crank and pedals are well lubricated - I'm going to shut up now, but there are lots of cheap/free things you can do to get a better ride out of whatever bike you have. See you on the road!
2004-04-15 12:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
2004-04-15 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Thats pretty close to the location of the soreness. Mine is just a little bit higher than that. And is an accurate description. Perhaps I should do some stretching. My warmups are typically just a walk then brisk walk then very light jog then I do the work out. I've never been a big supporter of stretching as warm up.

Edit:
Is this something that would be strictly caused by running? Or can cycling be a cause? I only ask because it just seems more irritated when I'm on the bike.

Edited by soupaman 2004-04-15 8:34 AM

2004-04-15 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Yeah, im with you about the stretching before training as a warm up, but it is good in certain curcumstances such as an injury, or extra tight muscles.
Before you go out and start doing stretches and possibly aggravating this pain, i would go see a doctor cause i am definately not one (yet....maybe if i can get into medical science for uni next year ).

im pretty sure it would be caused by running (unless you are really mashing the pedals, sprinting or climbing on on the bike) and aggravated by both. but again - see a doctor

.::aidan::.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle Pain and the Bike Rss Feed