General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression socks and the Ironman athlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-09 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: Compression socks and the Ironman athlete

Compression socks have become very common over the last couple of years particularly with Ironman athletes.  I get a lot of questions about the validity of compression socks.  Hopefully this article will provide some insight to the research so you can make your own decision.

http://www.fast-tri.com/compressionsocksarticle.htm

2010-07-09 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2970855

Subject: RE: Compression socks and the Ironman athlete
Ken, you pose some interesting points here and I agree there is probably a part of the brain taking advantage of the "Placebo" affect and increasing performance with compression.  After all if you are more comfortable and think you are faster, than you probably are going a bit faster...

Also agreed on the recovery aspects of performance medically graduated athletic compression garments that have an MMHG rating associated with them.  Brands such as 2XU, ZOOT, CEP, etc all have MMHG ratings that are focused in a graduated fashion to help increase blood flow or enhanced venous return.  There is a significant difference I have found between Athletic focused compression and Medical Grade compression in terms of the MMHG ratings and there are some risks to athletes using Medical Grade compression vs medically graduated performance compression.

From my experience during training and racing I see one of the biggest benefits of compression during a race in terms of muscle containment and holding the muscles in a more natural position allowing it to fire more efficiently thereby reducing the ossiclation and vibration or resulting damage the muscles take over 140.6 miles.  IMHO Resulting in increased performance and reduced recovery time.

I found this firsthand at the CA 70.3 this year where I didn't wear compression socks or a compression top under my tri suit but had trained with them. (Long story, but somehow they I forgot to put them in my transition bag... LOL!)  I was much more fatigued and sore at the end of the 70.3 race than when finishing IMCDA and having both of those pcs.  My nutrition was good for both races and looking back the only real variable was the compression garments. 

Just one guys experience and I am sure it will differ from person to person.  From what I have read and understood while there is a science behind compression products it's probably not exact given the innate difference in each athlete.

Where I would differ with you and the only thing I would caution anyone on is buying the true medical grade stockings or getting a prescription for those.  the MMHG ratings are higher on medical grade compression, in the 40+ range.  The info I have been able to find shows that compression greater than 40+ on an athlete that does not have a lymphatic issue, diabetes, etc may be damaging to that athlete causing the capillaries to collapse.

FWIW, I'm not a doctor and have no true medical knowledge.  I just kind of geeked out on compression and started doing some research in my spare time to to see if the positive experience I have had with compression could be calculated in tangible terms.
2010-07-09 7:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-07-09 9:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Jdub,

I agree that medical (prescription) grade socks could be a recipe for disaster.  I would also agree that many athletes feel that the compression helps prevent the oscilation of muscles therby reducing fatigue.  However, I have yet to see any studies that show data on this perception.  Placebo effect or legitimate...    don't know yet.

I pose one question that I have yet find an answer for:  If compression socks work during the athletic event, why have pure runners not picked up on this yet?  I have yet to see an elite runner don the compression sock.  Most of them still wear as little on their legs as possible.  (ie: running shorts with a light weight undergarment sewn in)

Just some thoughts.

2010-07-10 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2972083

Great point on the elite running community and it is interesting as to why they have not adopted compression.  Maybe it is the shorter distance and time of a marathon?  I did notice at Boston there were a lot of runners wearing calf guards/sock (certainly more than in years past) and I was told that at the Western States 100 there was a high number of athletes wearing compression socks / calf guards as well as compression shorts. 

Perhaps it is more of a longer distance benefit given the damage to your muscles over a 10-12hr race vs. a 2-3hr race...? 
2010-07-11 8:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Here is my n+1, pre training with compression socks during IM build I would often get a calf strain in my left leg I have high arches and supinate i.e. I have no cushioning in my feet as I don't pronate to reduce shock, all of the shock absorption is in my calfs.

Last year for IM Canada and this year for Placid I have worn Comp socks on all of my long runs and bikes. No calf strains. Also when I raced Canada last year afterward all of legs were beaten up except my calfs. Where as the previous year I raced Wisconsin w/out comp socks and my calfs were toast...

For me they really work...

2010-07-11 5:20 PM

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Thank for the info...for me, well I just can't wear them.   It's purely a fashion issue for me, !    I am gonna stay oldschool and go without until there is some proof.
2010-07-11 7:39 PM

Master
As your article stated, the only statistical result from a study is that muscle soreness seems to be reduced.
I had read elsewhere that compression socks are good for recovery, but provide little or no benefit in performance.
That being said, I am not sure any studies have been done on ultra distance events like Ironman or ultramarathons.

My only issue is they make my legs too hot! 
2010-07-11 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2972083

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
kenaxford - 2010-07-09 8:57 PM

Jdub,

I agree that medical (prescription) grade socks could be a recipe for disaster.  I would also agree that many athletes feel that the compression helps prevent the oscilation of muscles therby reducing fatigue.  However, I have yet to see any studies that show data on this perception.  Placebo effect or legitimate...    don't know yet.

I pose one question that I have yet find an answer for:  If compression socks work during the athletic event, why have pure runners not picked up on this yet?  I have yet to see an elite runner don the compression sock.  Most of them still wear as little on their legs as possible.  (ie: running shorts with a light weight undergarment sewn in)

Just some thoughts.

The majority do not wear compression socks but there are some who have. Chris Solinsky wore them in his 10K American record earlier this year. Paula Radclife was one of the first to use them as well as Shannon Rowbury, Simon Bariu, Halie G, Meb in his 3rd place finish at NYC in 04, etc.
2010-07-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2974209

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

The majority do not wear compression socks but there are some who have. Chris Solinsky wore them in his 10K American record earlier this year. Paula Radclife was one of the first to use them as well as Shannon Rowbury, Simon Bariu, Halie G, Meb in his 3rd place finish at NYC in 04, etc.

didn't know that:  thanks for the info.  I would be interested to see more research on long distance performance.

2010-07-12 8:32 AM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Other than for injury reasons (ie minimize the muscle movement/vibration) compression has shown no benefit in performance.  I would say that's the main reason that most 'elite' runners do not wear compression during events.

Combine that with the old school mentality and there you have it. 

Just my 2 cents.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression socks and the Ironman athlete Rss Feed