United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30, ate a cliff bar and a banana, got the kids packed up and headed over. I live 10 minutes from the event site so it was convenient.
Event warmup:

Didn't do a lot. Swam about 200 meters easy and got my transition set up. This was a small event more conducive to fun than competition. The transition was just an open grassy area where you set your bike and your gear so I got a good spot by the exit and sat my stuff out. Ate a pack of caffeine jelly beans and a gatorade pre workout fuel.
Swim
  • 06m 2s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim is my strongest suit but it is also the shortest part so I didn't push a lot and didn't kick at all in order to save my legs for the meat of the tri. The swim was done in heats so there was only one swimmer per lane which made it nice but I was in the third heat so I had a bit of a wait when some people were taking 12-15 minutes in the heats before me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much to do differently. I paced myself well so I wasn't gassed after the swim and the time was average for the effort I put into it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

The T1 time is an estimate. The event was all hand timed and there were no splits so the T1 is lumped in with the bike. Based on my time for the bike I had on my computer, I would say 2:30 is pretty close. Had a little trouble getting my shirt on with the wet skin. I didn't have a tri shirt so I just wore a sleeveless compression type shirt and didn't want to wear it during the swim. I also took a little extra time to dry my feet and put on socks so I didn't have to worry about blisters.

Not much. I probably could have saved some time with the shirt but I wasn't really pressing as this was my first ever event so I just wanted to make sure I had everything in order.
Bike
  • 27m 20s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13.61 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was pretty much all hills. Out of the gate there is a decent downhill but it's fairly curvy so the best I could comfortably get was 35mph and then it was right to the first hill. It wasn't steep but it was about 3/4 of a mile long so it was a constant climb and I was feeling every bit of it. There were a few like this with little to no downhill on the other side. The last mile of the course had a nice downhill and then right back up the biggest hill on the course which also turned out to be part of the run course. This hill had me in first gear (out of 9)for about 40% of the climb.

Drink more. I was starting feel it at the end. Did I mention I dropped one of my water bottles half way up a climb? DOH I didn't bother stopping for it as I knew I would have to walk the rest of the way up if I did so I went back for it after the event.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

T2 was very fast. I had my running shoes already tied so I was able to get my bike laid down, slip off my bike shoes and slip into my running shoes quickly. Dropped the helmet got a quick shot of water and I was off.

Nothing. This one went well.
Run
  • 37m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

And the wheels fell off the bus. I'm not a runner to start with. Running after the swim and bike was terrible. My calves felt like they were going to explode with the first 10 steps I took and I had side stitches almost right away. At this point I was in survival mode and there was a lot of walking. I started running for 3-4 minutes and walking 2. There was only one aid station and it was at the turn around. They had bottles of water so I got one of those and made the turn. Drank about half and poured the rest over my head. There was that combination of shock and relief with the cold water running down my back. Managed to run about the last mile straight and crossed the finish line so I was happy with it.

Train more. A lot more.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down consisted of crossing the finish line and falling flat on my face beside where I had my bike set up. Drank a recovery drink a few minutes later and got out of my running shoes and into my flip flops. Talked with the wife and kids and had a banana and an orange.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Event comments:

I don't really have a basis for comparison as this was my first race. From reading other's race reports and such I would rank this race as average. It was fun and I knew all of the volunteers as I am a member at Valley View and they did a great job for a hand timed event. It was pretty small with probably only about 30-40 people completing the race. There were probably another 30 or so that did relays. I finished in the top half which was pretty good considering I had probably 30 or more lbs. on the next closest racer. At 215, I dusted all but about 3 people on teh swim and 2 of them were relay participants so they gave it everything on the swim, but they blew by me on the hills when it came time for the bike and run. :)

Last updated: 2010-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:02 | 400 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: 25 meter 6 lane pool with one swimmer per lane.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:27:20 | 06.2 miles | 13.61 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was a one loop run from the pool down some country roads that were all right turns and marked well until you return to the transition outside of the pool. Lots of hills.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:00 | 03.1 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on the last section of the bike course. One big hill down and up the other side to the turn around and then back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No