Freeport YMCA
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 13s
Overall Rank = 21/90
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Since I was herding BabyDaddy around, we got a late start...that's not going to happen again...ate a bit more than usual...but had longer to digest.
Event warmup:

Warm up, what's that? Sigh.
Swim
  • 08m 5s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

They did 30 seconds in-between swimmers....this worked out pretty well, but in such close quarters, buffoonery is inevitable. My brush with silliness came when I started to hunt down a guy who seeded himself insanely wrong. The poor dude was probably 3 minutes slower than he claimed. Which is totally fine, no worries, but as he was hanging on the side he saw me coming and instead of letting me pass, he took off again...slowed me down which then put the two dudes behind me on my feet. So at the next wall, I stood up, did the den mother thing, and shoed those two around me and promptly got into a nice little draft...but dude stayed in their way for the whole swim...

The whole thing was minor, really...it was my first pool swim, so I didn't know what to expect...actually I was prepared for much worse. I think the 30 second delay really helped the swim go smoothly.
What would you do differently?:

I should have seeded myself further back, but I wasn't terribly out of place. I have basically been resting on my swim laurels for a month and a half so I need to get back in the pool if I want to maintain my swim fitness. Imagine that!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was the world's tiniest transition area...some movie stars have shoe closets larger than this transition area. The race organizers were all happy because they actually had bike racks this year.

I didn't realize that they didn't have mount and dismount lines, so I could have hopped on as soon as I hit pavement. I guess some course recon would have been a good idea...as always.
Bike
  • 52m 58s
  • 17 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

First race on the new bike. Stayed aero for most of the race which really made a difference for me in the wind...made it easier. I actually think I averaged faster than this, but it might be slightly long course and I got lost on the bike in, so that slowed me down a bit.

Attack the hills early on...I was being wimpy for a while...next time it's attackattackattack. Races are won going up hills and into the wind. Not get lost coming in to the bike finish. Just rode around in a circle in the parking lot until they waved me in the right direction.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Normal T2...no chip timing so not sure how long it was...I timed myself around 1:15.

Not hop off the bike at the timing line which I thought was the dismount line...I think I could have ridden right up to my transition spot and nobody would have cared. Run out was fine...no bike gloves this week, YAY!
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Got myself some pace booty. Stuck with a guy who passed me on mile one...just traded positions with him and when we realized we were staying together, we started working together...kind of encouraging and trading the lead now and then. I led up the hills and he led down, kept us both going faster.

I still am struggling with my run pace. I think I settle into a slower pace at the outset and never reset when I get my run legs back...not for the Oly, but for the two sprints, this seems to be what I am doing. I think more experience will help here...I just don't have that aha moment when I crank my pace back up to my 5k pace...
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Kind of switched over to marathon training after the Oly two weeks ago...hard to run that much and keep up with the pool/bike. Not sure that had much of an impact. If I was going to race sprints only, I would definitely gear my training towards quality type of workouts in all three...lots of hills (ok maybe not for swimming), intervals, speedwork, etc...

Event comments:

Great race. Very tiny, well organized, nice people, nice course. I enjoyed the day very much and would do this race again. It would be a perfect first triathlon for someone. In fact it was my husband's first tri, (despite his 10:45 swim, he won his age group...Daddy can cycle and run! He'll be a real threat if he can ever learn how to swim...what a freak)

Last updated: 2010-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:05 | 437 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 41/90
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 8 lane 25-meter pool. Serpentine down and back each lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:58 | 17 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 18/90
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: More than a few hills, mostly rolling. Open, well marked with busy intersections guarded by police.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 22/90
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back through the Y parking lot and a local suburb. Nice yard sale going on around mile 2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-13 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Freeport YMCA/FHN Triathlon

2010-07-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2978482

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Freeport YMCA/FHN Triathlon
bwah, bwah ha ha HA HA HA

oh you are a riot.

And also a terrible liar, since there's no way you're already in your early 40s.

BabyDaddy ain't the only one got 1st place CONGRATULATIONS!

swim buffoonery!!! ha ha ha ha ha! In a pool swim ... I have actually SWUM UNDER people. (Yes, in a waist-deep pool) ... awesome ... it freaks the heck out of them, and the officials.

Lost on the bike ... look, only I have the "lost in transition" (coming in off the bike, or whatever) official card, please don't borrow it without asking again (in which case I won't let you have it)

Super run. Pace booty = EXCELLENT strategy.

AWESOME JOB!!!!!

of entertaining me. Oh, and the triathlon and placing too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freeport YMCA/FHN Triathlon Rss Feed