Boise Valley YMCA
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 29s
Overall Rank = 119/204
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Cereal with fresh blueberries for breakfast at 6am. My son Daniel drove Jeff and I to T2 to drop off our run gear then dropped us off at the swim start. Set up T1 then just hung out talking to friends, all the while freezing with my tri suit on in the windy and cloudy morning. Even though it was supposed to be 85 that afternoon the lake side was very cool. I finally put my wet suit on half way to warm up!
Event warmup:

I did get in the water about 8 minutes before start to get used to the cool, not cold water, and to swim around a bit. I was swimming 15ft from the dock when someone else came right at me head on and "punched" me in the left eye. I had my goggles on..it stung a bit but was no problem during the swim. It wasn't until 2 days later that my wife noticed I had a black eye..it was only my eyelid so it was mostly hidden..no one else ever noticed.
Swim
  • 44m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Like I said above..slow as usual..always feels great to get out of the water! At least I wasn't last and all behind me were younger than me except the other guy in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim!
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

I thought my T1 was actually pretty good for me. I had the 4th best time in AG. I always feel a bit "woozy" and disappointed that i didn't swim faster.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 13m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm always happy with my bike...I felt strong, passed plenty of other riders...can't be disappointed with 2nd in AG! or 57 overall!

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Good transition..2nd in AG 1 sec slower than Steve..got a bit turned around when I was ready to leave...asked the volunteer (frind of mine) which way out!!

Nothing except pay closer attention when setting up T2 as to where the exit is!
Run
  • 55m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good during the run..ran for a minute with Gregg then had to push on ahead..willed myself to only stop briefly at water stations for drink..keeping a pace under 9min/mi was very satisfying for me..3rd in AG and 62 overall is a nice improvement in my running..and I don't use caffiene!! If you look at the 8 in my AG, it's very interesting to see just how close we all were in the run.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to drink the bottled water they gave me at the finish line but it was actually too hot to drink!!! My ever so faithful wife had my bottle of ice cold Hammer Recoverite for me..Just walked around with my wife and talked to my buddies about the race..was there when Gregg crossed the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

Obviously I am a darn slow swimmer..if I could learn to swim I would be on the podium!! Overall good race..my goal was 3hrs..I really thought I would be over that so am very satisfied with my total time.
Next year they HAVE to get their water on ice at the finish line!

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:29 | 1640 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 184/204
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Water temp is my guess. The course went out along the shore line and back so the water was fairly warm and the wind had died down so the chop was minimal. A few boat wakes came our way but didn't create a problem. My swim was typically slow..very close to my HIM pace..I'm just darn slow in the water. My goal is to learn to swim this winter!!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:44 | 24.85 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 57/204
Wind: Some
Course: Heading the opposite way for 1.7 miles actually was a good way to warm up for the climb up to Hill Top. Up to 40mph on the downhill..one more climb after crossing the Highway 21 bridge. The rest was mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:26 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 62/204
Course: Flat along river, thru subdivision, to bridge and back..some sun..some shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes