Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 16s
Overall Rank = 24/54
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Had to wake up around 5 AM to get ready, eat and drive 45 minutes to Cheyenne. I ate eggs and peanut butter toast around 5:30 am which was quite hard to do as that is really freakin' early for me. Also, I had to get the kids up dressed and fed before we could leave. Left the house about 5:45

I got to the transition area around 6:45 AM, there was a person there ready to mark me even before I could find a spot for my bike on the racks. All the first racks were already taken, so I took one I think in the 4th row. Afterwords went over and got my chip. I had everything ready by 7 am.
Event warmup:

Went for a 15 minute run around the lake - it was absolutely beautiful and cool out - perfect for running. This definately calmed my nerves and hopefully loosened me up a litte.

About 7:30 transition area closed. Put on the wetsuit and headed toward the beach. Was able to get in the water and swam a few strokes to get used to the wetsuit and water temp. And yes, I am soooo glad I had the wetsuit - the water was freezing. Then waited in line for my turn to enter the water.
Swim
  • 11m 15s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow - Okay this swim was different than I imagined it would be. The water was so murky that you could not see a foot in front of you. It was like swimming with your eyes closed. It took me a few minutes to get used to this, stop raising my head on every breathe to site and relax. It was a time trial start with the oldest women going first and 5 seconds between people so I was probably around the 30th person in the water. Didn't take long to get around most of the swimmers and hit empty waters. No way was their a chance to draft and even if there was I wouldn't be able to see the persons feet to do so! Wet suit worked well, couldn't tell if it made me any faster - adreneline was pumping to hard!
What would you do differently?:

This is a hard one - have clearer water? I went faster than I had planned on - tried to slow down my pace a couple of times, but I only sped right back up. My HR was pretty high at T1 and had trouble with coordination b/c of it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

T1 was a little slow. My HR was pretty high and I was somewhat discordinated. Had trouble getting the wetsuit of my ankles - even though I used a ton of body glide. Then tried to put my shoes on standing up - that didn't work!

Practice?
Bike
  • 51m 57s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.01 mile/hr
Comments:

So, as soon as I start on the bike I start getting passed. It is hard to have your best sport be first b/c for the rest of the race you get passed. There were a few rolling hills combined w/ straights. Was able to get into aero some and down on the drops some. Overall, I did Ok -- definate room for improvement.

T.I.T.S!!! Ride the course beforehand. Push it harder on the hills. Don't let the thought of bonking on the run keep me from going harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I think I got out of T2 pretty quickly. Learned from the first transition to sit to change shoes! Almost forgot my race belt and had to run back for it (lost of few seconds there).

Practice
Run
  • 32m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to run the 5k under 30 minutes. However, my legs felt pretty solid off the bike (no peg legs). I think most of the people that were going to pass me passed me on the bike. So I was able to run most of the course w/o getting passed every few seconds. However, there was this one women in front of me that ran/walked the course. Every time I got close to passing she started running and took off again. Very frustrating. Was able to speed up the last 1/2 mile.

I think I could have run this faster. My HR was in the 160s - I think I could of stepped it up - just afraid of bonking. Oh - also keep running!
Post race
Warm down:

Does collapsing on the grass a few feet from the finish line count? Drank 2 bottles of water and 2 bottles of nasty strawberry-kiwi poweraid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience. Not enough time on the bike. Afraid of bonking.

Event comments:

This was a great race for my first time. It was not a big race and many of the competitors were not "athletes" Great atmosphere and everyone was super nice. Overall, I am happy with my race and have a better idea now on what I need to work on to better my time for the next race. I am already looking for my next race

Last updated: 2010-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:15 | 600 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 5/54
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Full Sleeve
Course: U shaped course on Sloan's lake. Person left every 5 seconds.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:57 | 13 miles | 15.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 34/54
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on side ride next to interstate. 3 hills - 1 of those long and steep.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:03 | 03.11 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 24/54
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course around lake and golf course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-13 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-13 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2979237

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon
Robin,
Awesome job! Glad your 1st tri was such a positive experience. Wish I had your swim ability! I also was trying hard to get my 5K run under 30 mins during my last tri, but I just didn't push hard enough (also afraid of bonking). Next time you'll make it happen! It can be our shared goal if you want. Good luck in Boulder.
2010-07-14 4:49 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Nice job on the race!  It looks to me like you made an awesome showing for your first tri.  Thats a pretty good swim time too and T times I think are amazing.  My first tri my T times weren't so good.  T1 was 2:59, my T2 was much better at :56 but I was very unhappy about T1.

Great job!
2010-07-14 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Robin....holy crap 3rd in your division on your first tri?  You're awesome.  Great job!!

I completely understand what you mean about getting passed because your first leg is your fastest.  Even if you are fast on the swim, you never know how many people you pass because you don't get the satisfaction of seeing all of them!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cheyenne Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed