Vancouver Falcons Athletics Club
16F / -9C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 5s
Overall Rank = 76/311
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Drove to race site early with Matt and chilled until time to race.
Event warmup:

Quick jog to loosen legs up a bit and a little stretching.
Run
  • 43m 5s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Lined up about 10 meters behind start line and felt relaxed prior to gun going off. Started out slow and easy with relaxed pace as per the master plan. Breathing felt really good and I had my first thoughts that this was going to be a good race. Came upon the 2km mark very fast and was feeling very relaxed and breathing well. Slowly picked up pace and continued on for next few kms and felt no fatigue as the markers clicked by.
Somehow managed to miss the water station at the midway point. It would have been nice to splash some water on my face to cool down, oh well... Kept slowly catching and passing people trying to keep a steady pace and breathing well. North section of the Seawall was sunny and definitely felt the effects but kept running knowing the shade was waiting along the western section.
Passed the 6 and 7 km marks and thought about picking up the pace as I was feeling so good but resisted for fear of hitting the wall later on. Someone paced me for a couple of kilometers which drives me crazy. At least he wasn't a heavy breather! I know it is just a part of racing but hearing someone directly behind me with heavy feet or breathing loud takes me off my game, just have to get used to it I suppose.
Felt great at km 8 where I usually begin to tire but my pace and breathing were doing well. Stride begin to deteriorate a bit at this point and noticed blisters on both feet beginning to become a factor. Found myself running with a group of 5 or so and managed to keep pace until just after the 9 km mark where I began to fade a bit. Saved a bit of energy for the end and managed to pull out a small sprint over the last 50 meters to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

I think I left too much in the tank for this race, should have pushed a bit harder. I think a sub 43 minute race was possible if I pushed a little more. Oh, and training...probably should start that sometime.

Post race
Warm down:

Passed finish line and kept walking for a bit to bring down my heart rate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training!

Event comments:

This is a great race that is well organized and lots of fun. The course is flat and is perfect for setting PB times. Summerfast has it all, mountain and ocean views in an urban setting with great volunteers and awesome food at the end.

Last updated: 2010-06-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:05 | 10 kms | 04m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 76/311
Performance: Good
No data as did not wear HRM.
Course: Single loop around Stanley Park, great scenery and vistas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-17 1:15 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: 2010 Summerfast 10k

2010-07-17 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2987061

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: 2010 Summerfast 10k
Congratulations on your PB!
Looks like you will be sub-42 or better this year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Summerfast 10k Rss Feed