BBSCTRI
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 50m 44s
Overall Rank = 26/54
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

1.75 Mile Swim, 37 Mile Bike Ride, 10 Mile Run - Seemed like the perfect distance to transition from the Oly to the HIM. Now as I sit here, I'm not sure this was the race for that. I arrived at Scofield Reservoir Friday early afternoon. I got through packet pick-up and then I walked around familiarizing myself with the Transition area. Looking out to the Island where they drop us off for the swim, it didn't seem so far away (although the morning of as they transported us to the island, reality began to sink in as to just how far away the island really was). After sizing up the swim and transitions I drove to check out the climb that everyone has been warning me about - now that scared me. I realized the mountain training I had been doing was going to be of little use with this climb. I was not prepared for this. I wish I had not drove it prior to the race, because that climb had my brain tied in knots all night. The run was a fairly flat out-n-back. Once I had a chance to size up what would become my 5-hr morning I headed to a nearby campground. Rather than getting a motel in Price, I decided to crash in my SUV at a campground. My intent was to try sleeping that way at home the week before but I didn't end up doing it, so I was a bit nervous that I wouldn't get a good night sleep. As it turned out - I slept fine.
Woke at 4 am downed my usual 4 ensures, a bagel & banana. Relaxed/slept until 6 am and headed out on my bike to the race. A beautiful morning.
While setting up the transition I realized I had forgotten the straps to secure my aero bottle between my aerobars. My transition neighbor had all kinds of tools 'n stuff and he was able to get me taken care of. That would be the first of many things that went wrong this day.

Event warmup:

5 minute bike ride to the race site - about 10 min in the water after the boats dropped us off near the island.
Swim
  • 51m 3s
  • 3079 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal was 50 min - so missed it slightly, but I was still happy with the swim. I focused on a little white house tucked in some trees on the mountain above the transition and it brought me home. I tried drafting for a while, but I felt like I expended more energy trying to keep close but not too close, so for the last 1/2 I just got away from the guy. I ended up finishing right after him, so I'm sure if I were better at drafting I could've saved a lot of energy and wound up with the same time.
What would you do differently?:

I felt I may have been swimming at a "jogging" pace instead of a "race" pace - Just need to improve on my speed.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Ok, this is where my day started a turn for the worse - I came out of the water feeling really good- As I got to my transition, I decided to take my timing chip off so my suit would come off easier. Suit off - helmet/glasses/HR monitor on - sock/shoes on - load my singlet w/banana/bars - and I'm off -- ooops, about 7 miles into the race I realize, "I forgot to put my timing chip back on". SUCK.
Anyway, they showed my official T1 at 1:52, but I think it was more like the mid 4 mins.

I will NEVER take my timing chip off again - I've been ok up til now - not sure why I decided to make that last second decision.
Bike
  • 2h 22m 40s
  • 37 miles
  • 15.56 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 8 miles I was feeling great, but it was short lived. I think I probably averaged 7 mph over the next 4 miles. A few guys passed me like they had motors on their bikes - - Some advice I received prior to the race was to not push it on the hill to save some legs for the run. I was pushing for all I was worth, just not to fall over from going so SLOW. As I came up over the top I pretty much coasted down to the 37 mile turn around. As I started back up the back side of the hill - my legs were already spent - I knew I was in trouble for the run - but I couldn't think about that right now - I still had 18 miles left on the bike - and a climb up the backside of the mountain.

Maybe not sign up for Scofield. . . again. :) - Actually the ride course is beautiful, as is the whole course. I just need more hill time before I try it again.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I came in from the ride not feeling too bad. In reality the ride back to T2 give your legs time to recover - there was a little bit of work on the last mile but nothing major. Because I had left my timing chip I figured I better find a USAT Referee or BBSC official to see what I needed to do. They finally sent me off to the run and said they'd get it resolved. Officially they clocked my T2 at :57 seconds, but it was easliy a few minutes. I was so worried about my timing ordeal, that I left without putting on my race belt/number. I realized it at about mile 1. I still didn't know what they were gonna do about the timing chip and now this on top of it. This would be a race to learn by FOR SURE.

Not take off my timing chip - It was like a rock in my shoe the whole time. A little more organization at my transition spot would be helpful.
Run
  • 1h 31m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My original goal was an 8MM. I figured since my last Oly was 7:45MM, I'd drop a few percent over the longer distance. Once I saw the hill the day before, I figured an 8:30 MM was more realistic - once I began the run - I was hoping to hold on to an 8:45MM - My watch had me at a 9 MM even, but the event put it at a 9:09 MM - I think they must have averaged my transition times with what they thought it should be, and then put the extra times on my bike and run because my Garmin had my bike at 16.3 Mph & my run at a 9MM. My finish time did match theirs, and with as much time as I spent in the transitions there is no way my t1 was 1:52 & t2 :57.

Post race
Warm down:

Not much warm-down - just rode back to my car and headed home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike climb

Last updated: 2010-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:03 | 3079 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 27/54
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Equip
Course: There was a great camaraderie as we piled into the boats for the ride out to the island. I soon realized though, that I was way out of my league - the other athletes were talking about the "Ironman this" and "Ironman that" they had done. As I jumped off of the boat, I just kept thinking "this is going to be a long day". Point to Point - We were dropped off out on an island in the middle of scofield reservoir and swam 1.75 miles back to the boat dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:22:40 | 37 miles | 15.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 30/54
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: The first 8 miles or so is very nice - a nice ride along the lake with the perfect spectator view of the swim we had just completed. Then it's 4 miles of grades up to 8%. Down the backside of that climb for a few miles and then a few more miles to Electric Lake for turnaround - then do it all backwards.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average