United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 35s
Overall Rank = 107/282
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15, got everything together and did some gentle stretching while I waited for my friend to come pick me up at 5:00. Headed out at 5:15 after stopping to get her some coffee for the 1:20ish minute drive to the race site. Drank the first 1/2 of my pre-race shake at about 6am.

Arrived at 6:30, got checked in, body marked, and found my spot in transition (there were racks assigned by bib number) I was the first one to "my rack" so I got to pick first - took the end closest to the "runway". Went to scope out the swim course, and the bike exit/entrance and the run exit/finish line. Got a handle on where I was going and then chatted with some of the other racers who had done this event before and had great things to say about it :) Drank the 2nd half of my pre-race shake at about 7am along with my rice cake with almond butter and then headed off to the bathroom. Lingered around a bit longer with my friend and then headed off to the lake to warm-up a bit.
Event warmup:

Swam about 300 yards - nice and easy and then did some stretching until the pre-race meeting at 7:45. Listened to the meeting and headed off to the starting area to wait for my wave to start. First wave off at 8am with waves every 3 minutes after that - I was in wave 3.
Swim
  • 08m 24s
  • 600 yards
  • 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Much more crowded "up front" than my last race. Was neck and neck and stroke for stroke with another woman for much of it - we actually got our arms tangled a few times and then threw in a head lock (LOL!) until we got split up by another swimmer. It was kind of nuts!
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot other than try to not get locked up with another swimmer!
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Couldn't get steady to get socks on/shoes on, kept feeling like I was going to tip over! Grabbed a mini- Lara bar and stuffed it in my mouth as I ran out to the pavement. Then I "missed" on my first 2 attempts to get my shoe clipped in - UGH! Finally got going and then I was A-OK!

Practice!!!!!!!!!!!
Bike
  • 45m 38s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike - trying to push it a bit but save some for the run. Looking back, I might have been able to push it a bit harder? I noticed a lot of people coast down the hills...wonder if I should be coasting instead of pedaling? Hmmmmmm! Pace was FAST for me so, I'm happy with it!

Push it a bit more and try not to be scared of not having enough left for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

My left shoe got stuck ON me - I couldn't get the top buckle to release...UUUGGGHHH! I had to sit down to get it done and even then it took FOREVER! Took a good long swig of water with my Endurolytes capsules and I was off.

Figure out why my shoe keeps getting stuck ON me or get some new shoes that won't have this issue!
Run
  • 24m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

My calves felt sooooo tight but apparently that wasn't slowing me down. This 5K time is a PR for me (even vs. a stand alone race!) - WOW!

Not a thing!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and then got back in the lake to cool off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Holding back a bit on the bike for fear of not having enough left for the run, and my slow transitions...I gotta work on that!

Event comments:

I'll do it again next year!

Last updated: 2010-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:24 | 600 yards | 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 31/282
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 piece tri suit from skirtsports
Course: Oval shaped loop keeping the markers on your left until the final turn and then heading in toward shore passing the last marker on your right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:38 | 14 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Overall: 151/282
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with a lot of flats. Only one "bigger" hill at about mile 12.5 that wasn't particularly steep - just really LONG!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:41 | 03.11 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 107/282
Course: Out and back - one hill toward the start (which of course also means right at the end!) but pretty flat overall.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-18 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Vermont Sun Triathlon

2010-07-20 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2988084

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Vermont Sun Triathlon
Awesome report...you kicked A$$!!  You and I both had a clipping issue...I need to investigate my type of clipless pedals....Congrats on the PR run...wow and after all that other "stuff"!  I need to take some lessons from you on hydration...I did very poorly in that area and I think it hurt me considering it was 90 deg at the end.  Great Job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vermont Sun Triathlon Rss Feed