United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Decided to wear my Vibrams. I thought they'd be great in the mud and I would not run the risk of losing a shoe with my VFF. Plus, I don't have trail shoes. Because of the heat I also wore shorts, I wore a pair of TYR tri shorts that a good seal at the bottom to help keep the mud out.

Had to leave my house super early to meet up with my family and friends who were entered in the race. 1 hour before the race, it came: I had to pee. Lucky for me there were plenty of porta-potties. No waiting at the potties before the start line. :)
Event warmup:

Traffic backed up on the way to the lake. Good thing we arrived with plenty of time before our heat. Parking was $5. Really, after we all paid $30 (I paid $50 cuz I registered late), do you need to charge for parking? If you went any other day to Irvine Lake, there no charge for parking.

So, on my way to the race head, I quickly figured out that wearing my VFF was the wrong thing to wear. I could feel every jagged rock. This being my first trail run, I had a misconception of the terrain. I thought it'd be just a dirt trail. Uh...no, it was a rocky trail.

I registered with a group of friends and family, a mixed age and gender group called "Open sized group". Had expressed to my family that I was very nervous about coming in last and I did not want to be left behind. So, we made a pack and said there will be nobody left behind.
Run
  • 2h 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 38m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My heart rate was out of control. Every time I started to run, within two minutes, my HR would sky rocket up to 180+. I was unsure, of what to do. I wasn't tired, so most of the time I just pushed through it because I was with a group.

I should not have started walking, but I did. The heat wasn't really bothering me and I could have just made do with the irritation I was feeling with the rocks. Once I started walking, that was it, I walked and ran the course.
What would you do differently?:

Wear sunblock. Practice running in the heat.

Wear trail running shoes, not VFF. Immediately, I was bothered by all the rocks I could feel with the VFF. I had never taken the VFF on a trail much less a run on a trail. Irvine Lake was the wrong place to start. As a result, my heal is not happy with me.

There's a particular pit that I went though. My best description is that its a quick sand type of mud pit; sticky. I avoided it during my course, running in the slightly muddy section instead. However, when I came through again with my kids, I went in. It was fun...too much fun. When it was time to leave, I had trouble pulling my foot out in a spot; I think this is where I strained my hamstring. I had sense to avoid it the first time, second time though, I was having too much fun and couldn't avoid it.

Don't wear jewelery. I almost lost my wedding ring in one of the pits.

Hydrate. My lack of water consumption probably contributed to my high HR.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't think I needed to stretch because I walked most of the way. I did run another race with my girls. After this is when I should have stopped and taken care of myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat was a factor. I had not practiced running in the heat, so my HR was affected by it.

Did I mention that I need trail running shoes?

Last updated: 2010-07-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:00 | 03.1 miles | 38m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Avg HR: 157 Max HR 187
Course: It's unclear as to how long the course was. I heard everything from 3.2 miles to 4 miles. My feeling is that they didn't measure it before the race, so, nobody really knows how long it is. There's a small mud pit in the beginning but nothing in the middle. Some obstacle courses scattered in the middle, but nothing difficult. I did skip one. It's a net you have to climb up and then climb down. Climb down was a little sketch. I saw too many people hurting themselves on that one, so I just went around. Mud pits were awesome. There was a bit of traffic here, but not bothersome. Lots of stops for pics and some play. People were having fun and being courteous. There were some belly floppers, swimmers and one (let's not mention who), who rode a dolphin through one pit.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes