View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Annandale, Minnesota
United States
Total Time = 2h 02m 13s
Overall Rank = 193/492
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 21/47
Pre-race routine:

Underestimated the drive time -- I hardly ever do that. Showed up at about 7:25. This is one race where getting a bad transition spot does impact your time. The one saving grace is that by this time there was zero line for check-in or marking.
Event warmup:

Did a 2 block run, stretched. Due to being pressed for time, I was still pulling my wetsuit on as the wave just three ahead of me was starting. I hate being that rushed.
Swim
  • 16m 35s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good overall. Had been worried about the wind when I saw the waves on a lake I drive by just 25 minutes south, but the water was decent. There was lots of contact - I got nailed in the knee/upper calf by a guy doing a breastroke kick toward the end of the swim. Hurt at the time, but didn't affect my race. I really feel it now, though.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Sighting was not good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Ironically, my swim + T1 time were just 1 second off from my last year's time. This was a decent T1 for me.
Bike
  • 59m 24s
  • 21 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a very good ride for me, the first time I've broken 21 mph in a race. My training time on the bike has been paying off. Saw the aftermath of a nasty spill in the final mile - hope that young lady is OK.

Could haved used a 2nd gelpack for this distance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I was WAYYY back in the transition area, and at HOLT that makes a difference. It was a fast transition but still about 30 seconds slower than last year. I'm not whining - that is what I get for showing up late.

Get there before 7am.
Run
  • 41m 12s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs didn't feel great, but this is a long run for me. Doing a 10K on the 4th of July helped my mental game here. I think pushing it on the bike took its toll, but I'm fine with that. By mile 4 I was just trying to muscle it out so I wouldn't drop below 8.

I ran as fast as I could. Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty spent -- grabbed some food and chatted with a friend. I left pretty quickly as is my routine. Wife and kids are always looking for me to be home again by noon. One of these years, I'll hang out with the grilling group by the lake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hate feeling rushed -- need to get there earlier.

Event comments:

This is always a great race. Great volunteers, I swear they swept the entire bike course after last night's storm - it was pristine. The city of Annandale should feel proud for how great a race they put on. I hope that young lady who spilled on the bike is OK.

Last updated: 2010-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:35 | 880 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 211/492
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back, this spot on the lake is usually fairly calm even on a breezy morning like this.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:24 | 21 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Overall: 188/492
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Nice hills, pretty safe course overall. Love this ride. First several miles were into the wind, which induced a little burn in the old legs earlier than normal.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:12 | 05.3 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 215/492
Performance: Average
Course: Neat run around the lake, with a country trail in mile 2-3. Mile 3-4 seems like a slight incline the whole way, but maybe it is in my head.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-18 4:47 PM

Expert
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon

2010-07-18 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2988308

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon

Nice job out there.  Hopefully we can meet up some time.  Saw a couple of accidents out there-Ouch.  Next year were both under 2 hours!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed