Korff Enterprises Sports Marketing & Event Management
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 13m 10s
Overall Rank = /3485
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 97/191
Pre-race routine:

I flew up on Friday night with my bike. As i waited at LGA for my bike box, eveyone else seemed to have gotten their luggage. Soon I saw my helmet come thru the belt. then my water bottles. Um, WTF, why are my items not in my bike box!!! I started to flip out. Suddenly my bike box came out, OPEN! I gathered my things but there wasn't anyone around to talk to or yell at. Come to find out it really was Ft. Lauderdales TSA that screened my bike box and neglected to put it back together. Luckily everything was there and ok, but what a way to stat my weekend!

Saturday am, assembled the bike and headed to the expo to meet up with a teamate and get the race packet etc.
We went to transition to pick up her bike at Tribike tansport (smart girl!) and then head to the bike mechanic to get the once over on my bike to make certain all was assembled corectly. Then we were to go for our pre-race ride/run. After getting it checked out by bike maint. in transition, i was then told I would be disqaulified if I took it out of transtion. This was never told at the race meeting and this is not the policy at my races. why would you put bike mechanic inside transtion the day befor the rce if you were then going to be stuck. ugh..damn..no run thru! No happy at all.

Went on a run and then headed back to chill before dinner.

Ate at Topaz, yummy thai food, ate pad thai and then was in bed by 9.

Woke up at 3, ate breakfast went back to sleep for 1 hr and then got up and headed out the door., I was staying with a friend who lived a 5/10 min walk to transtion. sweet.

Set up my area and saw a few friends/teammates. Headed down to the swim start. 1.5 mile walk! Porto-potty , bag drop off for after race and then to swim corral.

Event warmup:

no warm up really except the 1.5 mile walk to swim start. at a gu and 8 oz water. Watched a tire float by!
Swim
  • 19m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I jumped in the water an held onto the rope wit hteh other girls in my wave It was eork holding on, the current was o strong that your legs were almost horizontal!
when the gun went off, I started swimming hard to get some space. I stayed as far to the right as possible away from the sea wall to get the best current. I had a few times to stop and pull my cap on again, not sure why it kept sliding, but very annouying as it would pull on my goggles. As I finished i waited til the guys pulled me up the ramp
What would you do differently?:

Not wear a long sleeve wet suit. I borrowed a friends and it just didnt give me the mobility I like in my sleeveless. I think I also relied on the current to push me instead of going all out. I know I could have had a faster swim.
Transition 1
  • 07m 42s
Comments:

Ran the 1/2 mile to transiton, was already almost fully out of my wetsuit. went No socks, Grabbed my helmet and glasses and I was off. Grabbed the handlebars and as I ran , they dropped. Holy shit! They weren't tight enough. As I ran to the exit I glanced over to see that there were bike mechanics still there. I stopped and asked for an allen wrench. they were fumbling around their tool chest and were taking forever. wasted a couple minutes there! I gave up and took off. I figured I would ask the mechanic on the course.

make sure I can take a pre-race ride to test everything and also carry an allen wrench
Bike
  • 1h 36m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.47 mile/hr
Comments:

As I headed out transiton, I took the first hill like a champ, that would be the only one that came that easy. the ride pretty much sucked ass. I spent the entire ride holding my bars in place and could rarely stay aero. Sucked since I had borrowed a set of discs for the race and expected to have a great ride! I could not go down hill without freaking out since the bars just wanted to drop and I thought i was going to fall on top of the bike. avopided a bunch of water bottles and a couple of dead rats..eeewww...I lost my water bottle with 4 miles left. bummer.
I stuck with it and did my best. Stopped once to ask the mechanic for an allen wrench but again they were not ready and were fiddling thru their tool box. I was done wasting time...drank 1 gel with 1.5 scoops sustained energy

Have an allen wrench! Also train on hills more (go to Clermont)
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I was so happy to be done with the bike! I as the 2nd to last rack from the bike finish..ugh...way at the other end, but close to the run out :)
racked, race belt, heed and visor and off I went! I smoked this transition placed 13/191 in AG

nada!
Run
  • 1h 07m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were so toast from the bike and the hills and the aero bars not staying put I did everything I could to stay positive and focused. the heat wasnt bad compared to Florida, but the rolling hills is not something I am used to. I did bridge training, but it really didnt simulate it well and I ended up walkngi up most the inclines and running the rest After mile 5 , I picked it up and tried running as fast as my body would take me. Thought i would pass out ! drank water at every station and sipped on my heed, but didnt really drink most of it.

train more on hills
Post race
Warm down:

gathered my bag an drank a recovery drink. Found friends and walked a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not having real hills to train on, bike issues

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race despite my issues. I think it is a good fun race for everyone to do once (unless you live in NYC, then do it more). The spectators and volunteers were amazing!

Last updated: 2010-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/191
Overall: 1618/3485
Performance: Average
Suit: long sleeve
Course: streaight point to point. 59th to 7nd ish
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:36:21 | 24.85 miles | 15.47 mile/hr
Overall: 2674/3485
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong
Course: steep climb out of transtion, onto west side highway to the bronx and back...some technical turns but msotly jsut a lot of hills (at least to this Floridian)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:38 | 06.21 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 2670/3485
Course: up steep clmib to 72nd and then straight to central park. Loop around..rollin hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-22 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: New York City Nautica Triathlon

2010-07-22 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2998587

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: New York City Nautica Triathlon
I saw you on Saturday in Transition and you didn't look happy. Must have been after you found out you couldn't get your bike out.

Sorry about all the problems, but I'm glad you had a good time. Sorry I didn't get to meet you.
2010-07-23 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Yeah, I wasnt happy.  I emailed the RD and told him and explained that this race has a lot of out of towners that trvel with their bike and having no way of doing a test ride after getting it checked out is pretty unfair.  I am not sure why the mechanic has to be inside transition and cant have a tent outside, so after getting it looked over, we can ride! ugh...
2010-07-28 8:06 AM

User image

Nice job staying positie after the adversities. Nice race and very enjoyable RR to read.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Nautica Triathlon Rss Feed