General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 6s
Overall Rank = 272/918
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 41/120
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 AM and loaded up the Pilot. Stopped at Wawa for a Detour protein bar, coffee, banana and water. Took about an hour or so to make the drive to Mercer County park...easy.

Called my friends Sarah and Mike on the way. Arrived, unloaded and headed to packet pick up. Ran into my friend/coach Nicki Atkinson who was coordinating the CGI volunteers and Lindsay Ross who was one of the lifeguards.

Set up transition and went and talked with Mike and Sarah. Hit the port-a john and walked down to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Swam a few strokes in the lake to warm up. My wave didn't start until almost 8:15 so I had plenty of time...almost an hour between the first wave and mine. Was nice to get into the warm lake water and just get relaxed.

I think the largest wave was mine, the male 40-44 so they had us broken into two waves..I had the purple cap and was able to get started with the first wave.
Swim
  • 30m 14s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

This turned out to be my best event all day...finished 234/918...surprising but maybe not since I've been improving in the pool all year. Still can't break that sub 2:00/100m in open water...

Sighting was best ever for me during a race. I did almost get kicked in the head by a backstroker...holy crap that was close....and a couple of the women I caught in the wave ahead of us smacked me in the head...but other than that I was pretty pleased. I didn't feel overwhelmed or stressed by the swim at all.
What would you do differently?:

Not much..it's all about fitness and getting better in the water. This was my best ever open water swim so I was happy. I improved my sighting as that's where I've struggled in the past.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Not much I would do differently here...my transition times are fairly good..I would go quicker if I learned how to keep my shoes clipped into the bike...not too concerned about that right now.

Nada. All went smoothly.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 8s
  • 25.36 miles
  • 20.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike..second best event of the day..finished 276/918....some discrepancy between what the timing chip measured me as averaging and what my bike computer did..I'm leaning towards my bike computer...I watched my pace and speed the entire race.

I did get passed by a few guys on some pretty mean machines..(ahh, someday) but I was pretty satisfied overall with my pace and effort level. Not sure I could call it 'hard' but then again it wasn't completely 'comfortable'

Course was well laid out and supervised....no issues other than a few potholes you had to watch for.

I did feel a little bit of discomfort at times being in aero...which I thought was strange because I workout in the areo position......

Had one bottle of HEED and one of water on the bike..finished all the HEED and about 2/3rds of the water...

Not much...it's bike fitness for sure...and I have been improving each race so I'm pretty happy. I've spent alot more time on the bike this year training...

I'd certainly love to get fitted for a 'real' tri-bike someday...
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

No problem in transition...

Nothing...I am pretty well prepared...I ran out with my race belt instead of strapping it on in transition..that was smart...
Run
  • 1h 01m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Sooo...what had been a pretty decent day so far was about to get miserable...I had tried to train in the extremely hot conditions we had been experiencing of late but I hadn't replicated it under the duress of an actual S/B/R set....

I could tell from the start this run was going to be tough...about 1 mile in I could tell my heart rate was just too high...and I was starting to overheat...I made it through about 2 miles before I needed to start walking the aid stations...and then it was a run/walk strategy for the rest of the way...

I took every opportunity to get fluids and grab 'cold' towels...those were a treat. I must say in my short racing career (since 2008; 12 tri's) this was the toughest run...even harder than my half iron run last year...it just felt oppressive and my heart rate was just too high...my head was pounding...my brain was screaming 'walk'...so i did...I listened and was surprised to still finish just under 10 minute miles...

Brutal. That's all I can say...but it appeared that it was awful for many of the racers.

I ended up finishing a disappointing 421/918 in this segment...just chalking it up to experience. A strong top 300 would have put me much higher in the overall rankings...

Nothing...I gave it 150% effort...mentally and physically...
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, drank as much water as I could...went through the mist tent and found a nice fan to stand in front of....walked back to transition and ran into Mike and Sarah. Spent the next hour getting some food and talking to friends...did run into Nicki who was now working the finish line taking off timing chips....

Picked up my bike and bag and headed to the car. Arrived back home after a stop at wawa for a hoagie about 2:00. Not bad.

Did sleep for two hours after a nice shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was happy with my swim and bike...of course I can get better....but the run, oh the run..the heat...that killed me.

Event comments:

A really nice race, well organized and plenty of post race activity. The 'mist tent' was an added bonus at the finish line...well done!

Looking forward to next year already.

Last updated: 2009-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:14 | 1500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/120
Overall: 234/918
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Deep water start...had to tread water for a few minutes prior to start..(waved to Lindsay in the kayak..) Straight out, about 600m to the first yellow buoy after 100m another left at the next yellow buoy and then another 700m to the last yellow buoy and then about 100m to the exit. (my very poor estimates at distance...)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:08 | 25.36 miles | 20.25 mile/hr
Overall: 276/918
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop course...some rough patches but otherwise very flat..a few rolling hills..not completely flat...nice course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:31 | 06.21 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 421/918
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop course near the lake....some ups and downs..not 'flat' as advertised...
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-25 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed