General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 28s
Overall Rank = 151/919
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/87
Pre-race routine:

Alarm set for 4am, but either I didn't hear it or it didn't go off until 4:30. Woke up, packed the car, got the family up and out the door at 5:05am, only 5 min later than planned. Stopped to get breakfast at local 24hr bagel joint, TOOK 20 MIN! I don't know if they were in between shifts, or the new guy had a wicked hangover or something, but it took forever. NEVER AGAIN, make my breakfast at home! Got to the race site around 7AM, almost 1hr later than planned. Hopped out of the car at the sight of the 1st port-a-potty, got my stuff and ran to packet pick-up, they were announcing that transition was closing as I was getting my packet. Now I was stressed as hell! Rushed to get transition set up and ran the 1/4 mile to swim start only to realize I forgot my timing chip, ran back to Transition to get it and now I was stressed and pissed! Not a good way to start the race! Luckily between the pre-race meeting, national anthem and being in the 3rd wave I managed to get in a short warm-up swim and a few minutes to calm myself down before my wave start. Even saw Evan and Yvonne for a minute, thank god she had a bottle of water with her.
Event warmup:

Very short swim, barefoot running from transition and backk to get timing chip.
Swim
  • 32m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought my swim was pretty good. Took a little longer to hit my stride, and by that time I was actually passing swimmers from the 2 waves in front of me. I never before recall passing many swimmers, let alone those that started 5-10 min before me, that was a great confidence boot that my swim was ok. Sighting and navigation were point on, hugged the bouys to my left. After the second turn, the last yellow bouy was very difficult to see with the glaring sun, but once it poped into sight I picked up the pace. Strong finish, however, either I failed to hit start on my Garmmin, or didn't hit it hard enough because it read 00:00:00 when I exited the water, now I was pissed again!
What would you do differently?:

Not much, outside of making sure my timer was running. Altough it was a bit slow, I thought I had a decent swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I had a decent run to my bike from the swin and my HR was racing, so I opted to slow jog, walk a bit to calm it down. Probably the best decision. No suit made T1 much easier.

Grabbed a sip of gatorade from a standard screw top bottel in T1, next time wait till I get on the bike and use the bottle on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 22s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, so the reality is I pushed the bike too hard! Avg HR of 156 over 40K is too high and I knew it. I kept trying to remind myself that I had a 10K to run in the heat afterwards, but I was blowing by people left and right. I think I only got passed twice, and took great thrill in passing people on tri bikes in aero helmets on my roadie! My bike training the past 2 months really showed up today.

Took in 1 ful 1hr bottle of perpetum on the bike + about 5oz of garorade.

I don't know, I'm torn here. I was pushing hard, maybe too hard? But I was having so much fun and having a great bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Pretty standard T2. Had a flask of perpetum I chugged down in T2 and took 1 gel with me.

Nothing
Run
  • 52m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

All was good for the 1st 1/2, then the heat really got to me. Never before have I walked druing a race, it is never an option, today however it wasn't an option to keep running. Wound up walking 3 or 4 times. Never before did I see so many people walking on a course. I saw Elite athletes walking! It was brutal! People cramping everywhere, it was like a battlefield! I was also experiencing some abdominal cramping, not sure what that was about?

Anyway... I took water at every aid station except the 1st, took ice rags whenever offered and took extra water to pour on my head. Took a gel at about the 1/2 way mark. Had enough to sprint the finish

I don't know if it was me pushing to hard on the bike, or the heat probably both that contributed to my bonk. Not sure if it was avoidable.
Post race
Warm down:

MIST TENT! Massage! Streching! 1/2 pretzle from "buffet" bag and 1 slice of that thing they caled pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat

Event comments:

Overall great race, my 3rd CGI race this year and I tell you they do an amazing job! I will do all of their races if I can!

Last updated: 2009-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:37 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/87
Overall: 351/919
Performance: Good
Suit: None - tri top & shorts only
Course: 1 loop, well marked
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:22 | 24.85 miles | 20.89 mile/hr
Overall: 110/919
Performance: Good
I have NO idea why the official scorecard has my pace at 19.5? My garmin has my pace at 21.5mph! Garmin has course at 24.91 miles, while scorecard reads 39K? What's up with that? Avg HR 156 --- TOO HARD!
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops, flat!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:45 | 06.21 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 175/919
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 163. Pacing by mile: 1 7:39 2 7:53 3 8:10 4 8:44 - bonking.... 5 9:47 - BONK! 6 9:05
Course: Paved trails through the park, double out and back 3.1 each. Some decent shaded parts but when you weren't in the shade, WOW it hit you like a ton of bricks!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-26 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-07-26 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3005670

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great race and some smokin' times!
2010-07-26 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Great job!  You did your part--trained hard, played hard!  You have no control over the sun/heat/humidity.  Even for walking in the run, your times were great!

Now, GET BACK TO WORK!  You have more training to do!Wink
2010-07-26 9:04 PM

Veteran
great job on the race!!!  times were great, but the most impressive part is you only getting 1 slice of pizza after that effort!!
2010-07-27 10:12 PM

User image

Regular
Great times
2010-07-28 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
, New Jersey
Great job!!! It wasn't your imagination that the bike pace was off--the bike leg was actually 25.9 miles. My computer measured my speed at nearly 2mph faster than the LinMark results.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed