General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 310XT lost satellite signal during workout - how to recover Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-28 3:16 PM

Subject: 310XT lost satellite signal during workout - how to recover
I recently purchased a 310 XT (thanks to another BTer for posting a 25% coupon).  Today, during my run I must have lost satellite coverage because all of a sudden my device popped up and gave me my resting HR. 

However, I was only in the "trees" for .3 of a mile and then I was back in the open but my device did not reconnect.  Instead the device kept reading my resting HR.  It was like the device timed out because it did not have a signal but then it didn't restart once it was reconnected.

I would think losing a signal must happen frequently and that tracking the workout should not stop.  I thought the device would "piece" together my route based on the last point it had and then the new point it finds.

Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do?

2010-07-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3010647

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: 310XT lost satellite signal during workout - how to recover
Sounds more like you hit the stop button.  Loss of satellite signal should not stop the timer.  Mine generally shows resting HR once I stop running and turn off the timer.  You might also check the "auto pause" function. 
2010-07-28 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Ditto.

The timer doesn't stop unless you hit stop, or you have something set strange, like your Auto Pause kicks on if you slow down to 5mph or something.

If your timer was running the whole time, you can go to Google Earth to figure out your distance, and then plug that in to the logs here and get your pace, at least. Obviously you got a Garmin so you wouldn't have to do that anymore, but it would work for this one instance.
2010-07-28 3:52 PM

User image

Turn off auto-pause, it'll make your life happier (or, change it to a much higher value).

If you're sat reception degrades to a lesser accuracy level (such as in the trees), you can get into a situation where it thinks you're actually standing still, and thus pause.  Eventually it would re-find you and automatically compute the distance between point A and point B, but that might not be accurate depending on your path.

As a random aside, the only tool that currently supports tweaking your GPS route files is Sport Tracks, so you can give that a whirl if you want to save the run's actual length and route/track.

2010-07-28 4:17 PM

Thank you for the responses, I will check my auto-pause setting. Sounds like the auto-pause might have been the culprit as I don't think I hit the stop button.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 310XT lost satellite signal during workout - how to recover Rss Feed