General Discussion Race Reports! » Suddenlink Lake Nasworthy Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Suddenlink Lake Nasworthy Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Angelo, Texas
United States
San Angelo Road Lizards
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 25s
Overall Rank = 30/132
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am, got ready then drove with Chris and Kevin to San Angelo. Arrived and got checked in and TA set up.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching to warm up and tested the water. Surprisingly it wasn't too cold.
Swim
  • 06m
  • 300 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I never really found my groove on the swim. I was hopeful to complete it in 5-5:30, but it took me about 6 min. I did a good job drafting off a couple people at different times, but they weren't going as fast as I wanted, so I'd end up passing them. It felt like I was over-exerting myself, but my breathing and stroke felt good. My navigation wasn't perfect, but wasn't horrible. Going around the buoy at the turn, a guy tried to cut inside me, but I wasn't having any of that. I maintained my positioning and forced him to slow down or get hit.
What would you do differently?:

I wished I would have found my groove better and tried to push a little harder to improve my time. My navigation could have been better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Having the tri shirt really helped my T1 time. I ran from the water/beach to TA and quickly dried off and put on my socks, shoes, and helmet. I ran out of T1 and jumped on my bike. I felt this was a fairly smooth transition.

I could practice faster transitions and could improve at getting on the bike and up to speed quicker. Overall, I'm very pleased though.
Bike
  • 34m
  • 10 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish I would have performed a little better on the bike. The wind was tough on the way out and I waiting to really push myself until the back half. I was expected more help from the wind on the way back, but it seemed to change when I made the turn. I got up to 28 but couldn't sustain it for as long as I wanted. Split times were about 18 out and 16 in. I was 32nd overall at the half way mark.

I might have pushed myself a little harder the whole time. The first half I held out a bit to really push on the back half, but I might try a "go harder for longer" strategy next time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

This was fairly smooth. Not a ton of room for improvement. I could have taken my helmet off while I was running to my rack to shave a few seconds off. I actually waited until T2 to put my race belt on (normally do this in T1) since I had the jersey on in the swim and was still wet in T1. I actually was about to run out of T2 but stopped to get another drink from my bike. This added a few extra seconds.

Take my helmet off while running to my rack and get one last drink while I'm still on the bike before dismount so I don't have to in T2.
Run
  • 16m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out struggling a little on this run, but I found my groove after about 200 hundred yards. I knew I could go faster, but didn't want to burn out, so I didn't speed up enough to get into my normal pace. At the turn around, I picked up my pace a litle and then about 1.5 miles into the run, I picked up pace again to keep up with a pacer that was helping a lady on the run. I sprinted the last 50ish yards and left this lady long behind.

I might have pushed harder earlier on and tried to keep this pace the entire run. Looking back, since it was only 2 miles, I should have just gone all out the entire time and not try to hold any back for the last mile.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, I drank a ton of liquids and ate some watermelon and a couple cookies. I was really sad they didn't have burritos this year as post-race food. Maybe I'll get over it some day... Drove home and rested and ate the rest of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I only trained for 2 weeks this year, so I could have trained more and harder. Looking back, since this race is so short I should have just pushed all out for the entire event as opposed to held out for the back half of each discipline. I don't know how this would have affected my performance, but it might be worth trying for this race next year.

Event comments:

This is a good, inexpensive race that is fairly close to my house. I'd definately recommend this event to a beginner. It did run a little late, but overall it was organized and had plenty of volunteers for the straight forward course layout.

*Split times are approximate, based on my watch time. Overall time is official race time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:00 | 300 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/132
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri top and shorts
Course: Started near the beach and swam out and around two buoys then u-turn and back to the same spot. No waves, only low chop from the other swimmers.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:00 | 10 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back from the park past the airport. Slight uphill on the way out with wind in my face. Slight downhill and the way back with WIND IN MY FACE!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:16:30 | 02 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Course: Rolling small hills on an out and back course along the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-31 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Suddenlink Lake Nasworthy Sprint Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Suddenlink Lake Nasworthy Sprint Tri Rss Feed