United States
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 27s
Overall Rank = 77/1110
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/69
Pre-race routine:

Got there entirely too early but will do it again.

Ate a banana with coffee and orange juice at about 4:30 and headed to Ft Desoto. Arrived before transition opened so I walked to the beach and enjoyed the breeze.

There were 3 or 4 thousand people there and I had fun watching the nervousness. They all (me too) treat this a little more serious than they probably should but it sure is good watching.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little and swam about a 100 yds.
Swim
  • 08m 8s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I pretended I was fast again and hit it hard at the start. I was first in the wave to the first turn bouy but was quickly passed by two or three people. I have no way of knowing their age group. There were four more bouys until the next turn but during warm up I noticed they were not in line so I headed straight for the next turn. Swam for the shore and exited over the beach to the tide pool. Had a mental lapse and took my cap and goggles off only to realize I had more to swim. I had time to put them back on and swam/ran the tide pool.

The swim time included the tide pool and quite a bit of running so the times are misleading.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing- I even remembered to rinse my goggles just before my wave.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

There was a long run in transition and I had a long way to get to my bike. The rough pavement slowed me tremendously.(something else to train for)

8th in my age group and 81st overall.

Prepare my feet for rough pavement.
Bike
  • 27m 33s
  • 9.6 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was definitely short, maybe 9.6 0r 9.7 but it was still fast for me. I felt really strong compared to normal. I assume it is due to the rest I had this week.

I did better than I am able. Mile five I had a flurry of guys pass from my age division. I had no answer for their speed.

I did a better job getting my feet out before dismount and was not rushed.

Nothing I know of except train more which is becoming harder to do.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

The pavement was my biggest weakness again. There was only 12 seconds difference in the top ten times.

toughen my feet
Run
  • 23m 59s
  • 3.16 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Much better than Englewood. I slowed myself at the beginning and negative split. I was close to sprinting at the finish.

My dream came true at mile number two. Right when morale was starting to sag, the angels appeared with a cold wet rag.

Nothing- I hope I just need some time to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Went straight to the outdoor shower and cooled a bit. Tried to eat a little but no real appetite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness and foot toughness were the only limiters. This time is was more running fitness that held me back on the run instead of the bike.

Event comments:

Everything was good except for the award ceremony. They waited too long to do it and rushed through it. I felt sorry for the winners. The awards were lacking as well. They all said "award winner."

Sprint triathlons are painful to me, I cannot imagine an Ironman. I know it is a different pain but the thought of it is kind of scary. One of the things I like the most about my young triathlon life is the awe I have for Ironmen. Shoot I admire the Olymic distance and the 70.3"s as well. What an accomplishment!

Last updated: 2010-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:08 | 440 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/69
Overall: 30/1110
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Swam approximately one quarter mile, exited the sea and ran over the beach and entered a tide pool. (The tide pool was about 60 yds) Exited the tide pool and had about 100 yd run before the timing mat.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:33 | 9.6 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/69
Overall: 312/1110
Wind: Some
Course: Two turnarounds but they were gradual. (Flat, fast and closed roads)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:59 | 03.16 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/69
Overall: 70/1110
Course: Paved path out and sand rode back. The rode was hard pack so not a factor.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-31 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: Top Gun Triathlon

2010-07-31 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3016015

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Subject: RE: Top Gun Triathlon
I checked on your results when I got home this evening.  Um, ROCKSTAR!  You did so awesome!  Way to go!

I love that tide pool up there at the Ft. DeSoto venue-- certainly makes things interesting getting to T1.  The bike course there is FAST!  Yeah, I don't know if it's short mileage-wise or if it's just that there are so many people on such a short, looped course that in essence, there is a big draft effect.  I have a bike split from Escape from Ft. DeSoto that is over 22mph (which I cannot hold, by the way).  LOL!

I knew your run would come around... just a matter of time and maybe some race experience.  Everything is just going to continue to improve.  You were born to do this!

I'm super stoked for you and can't wait to see what you do next!

Congrats! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Top Gun Triathlon Rss Feed