D3 Racing
69F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 42m 41s
Overall Rank = 23/67
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

It started raining about an hour before the race so most of us hovered around transition hoping to keep our stuff from getting soaked. Moods were not great and everything was pretty much soaked.
Event warmup:

I didn't even warmup, just a few arm circles and leg stretches.
Swim
  • 27m 19s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was tough to get my placement at the start but I got into a rhythm right away. One bonus of a cloudy, rainy day is no sun to prevent you from navigating the swim course. I could see everything clearly which helped my confidence level. I wished I hadn't given in to the peer pressure of almost everyone in their wetsuits because I was a bit warm. Aside from that, I felt I pushed it hard and was happy with my performance and that I dropped 5 and 1/2 minutes from last year on this course!!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not wear my wetsuit, but this is an oly PR for me so perhaps things worked out for the best.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Even though everything was soaked, this is one of my best T1's removing a wetsuit so I was pretty happy.

Bring a tarp for my transition items in case of rain.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I was 4th woman out of the water and was frustrated as I wasn't able to catch any other women, yet got passed by two. I tried to keep up with one of them and pushed it a little harder than I would've otherwise and would like to thank her for that! She widened the gap and I lost her from my sight. At that point I felt so tired but was super happy to cross into transition almost 5 minutes faster than last year on this course when it was dry!!

As usual, I would train more on the bike. It's the only thing that holds me back from placing much higher in races like this with good women bikers.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 doesn't show up on the race results but I felt pretty good again considering the rain and wetness. I tripped over some random stuff in the aisle way trying to rack my back and also dropped my ipod running toward transition exit but still felt pretty fast. I'm guessing it was under a minute.
Run
  • 52m 50s
  • 6.8 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs have never hurt this much coming off the bike. Not sure why but my inner thighs (??) were killing me. I felt like I wasn't sure how I was going to even finish these 6.8 miles. Once I got past the first mile, I started watching my pace and was pleasantly suprised at how much faster I was going than I felt I was. Once I was halfway done, my legs loosened up and was just excited for the home stretch. I dropped 4 minutes off last years time on this course and was elated!

Nothing. I was glad the weather was poor since at that point it stopped raining and I was just comfortable instead of feeling warm.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt so sore and tired. Maybe it was because I race harder than I used to? I tried to just stretch as my legs were hurting more than I would've expected in an oly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was happy with everything even through the rain which didn't seem to slow me down at all. Again, I just need more training on the bike. My swim and run ranks are always so much higher than my bike rank.

Event comments:

Overall I dropped almost 16 minutes from my time on this course last year and I did it on my first rainy day race ever. I was very proud of my hard work and glad I didn't let the rain get to me mentally.

Last updated: 2010-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:19 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 16/67
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Triangle course with a waste level water start. The terrain was rocky but they did a good job clearing it.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:41 | 24.85 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 48/67
Wind: None
Course: Out and back course, mostly flat with a few fairly steep hills. It was soaked and still raining through my whole ride but that didn't seem to pose any issues for me.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:50 | 06.8 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 14/67
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-01 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Lumberman

2010-08-13 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3016872

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Lumberman

Sorry for the belated message, didn't see you'd posted a race report.

Way to race through the rain! AG win is awesome, congrats!!

You are going to have to stop saying you need to improve on the bike pretty soon. 18.48mph is pretty respectable, especially in the rain.

Keep up the hard work, I need the inspiration....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lumberman Rss Feed