Ripon Medical Center
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = 18/112
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

I had the opportunity to stay on site with travisbvb24's parents. Tehy have a nice little place, which is very hard to find in the dark. I realized the next morning I was only .5 miles from the start.

I woke up and used the bath house to get ready adn eat breakfast - poptart, Pickle juice and Perp Caffe Latte. Then off to the race.
Event warmup:

Just setting up took a bit of loossening. Then I ran about a mile to warm up and hit the can to drop kids at the pool. Then ready to go. i wanted to swim a bit, but they would not let us after 7:20.
Swim
  • 23m 14s
  • 1440 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The course was straight out and back with a little hitch. It was definitely not 1600 yds. Closer to 1450. I did not feel overly strong again, but after some tussles, I did find a good set of feet and just drafted him for the entire return trip. I was swimming his same pace without passing, so I just dropped back into place. I did lose him at one point but got back on his feet. (After checking the race results - I think I drafted off badger intx - Thanks for the pull Dave)

The swim was uneventful except for the swimming thru the shallow water and hitting the zebra mussel farm - ouch. I had a deep cut that I could feel flapping with each stroke. I also could see the blood from my finger under water - thank good ness there were no sharks.
What would you do differently?:

draft more and avoid the mussels
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I am so glad Med tent was on the edge of transition. I tend to bleed alot from fingers if cut during exercise and I am not quiting over a cut finger. So I ran into Transition and asked for a bandaid. they took some time, but I did strip the wetsuit off grab the bandaid and run to the rack. I was a bit slow getting intot he socks and garb plus having to add the bandaid. I am just not that quick in T1 this year.

Not cut my finger and move faster - I am just spacey
Bike
  • 1h 05m 30s
  • 24.45 miles
  • 22.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I was interested to see how the legs would respond today after T4C. They were alright, but definitely not all there.

As soon aspossible, I hopped on DArth to take off. The first 1.5 miles were a graual climb from the lake to the roads. I was only averaging about 17 when I left the park. But I died feel alright. The funniest part occurred when I left the park. I came up to the turn left out of the park and bikers were all over. I yelled left with about 1000 yds tothe gate and some guy on the left (with no one on his right)got freaked out and told me to slow down. Now tell me I M wrong, but this is a race. He was on the left side of the road with no one by him and I had plenty of room ahead to get to the turn. Why?

I caught Dave on the way out. And about 2 mile or so, he was sright there with me. Then the guy who got mad at me told me something about being careful and no reason to go fast. He passed me as I went up hill drinking my water. I repassed him in about 5 seconds to remind him that the rules state one should be on the RIGHT side of the road as to let faster traffic pass. That is the rule. BTW- I dropped him in about 30 seconds as it was time to pick up the pace.

I passed alot of riders but not sure who was OLY vs Sprint. Then at the turn for the sprint, I only passed about 10 bikers on the long section out and back. I was at 28th out of the water so I did make up some ground. There were a few tight turns and I did not handle them all that well today. I also knew as the ride went on that I did not have that second gear from a week ago. But as I rolled into the park I was seeing sprinters again and just kept pulling them in as a goal.

It was fun bombing down that final hill into transition - I moved from 28th on the swim to top ten off the bike.

Maybe push harder. My HR was lower than the normal level I can push. But I did not have the pep I typically do. I could take a minute or so off with fresh legs. But not bad - My streak of Top Ten Bike times continues.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Pretty good. I had my chain fall off while running the bike, that was the only issue. Other wise fiarly quick. I pull anotehr space cadet and put on my race belt first instead of the shoes. I could have put it on while runnign. Oh well

T1 was bottom 1/3, T2 Top 1/3 - still lost time and in the end I lost 17th by 13 seconds - easily made up in T's
Run
  • 53m 15s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought this may be a flatter run after scouting a section of it. BUT, that was the only flat section. The run started up hill (mile 1 162 bpm) I was not ready to run up - walked once 10s. Then it came down hill inot a flat all the way thru the turnaround and back onto some gravel road where it went up. mile 2 158 bpm)

The gravel road was not a fun road to run on. It was tough. and it felt like it would not stop going up. I had to walk 2-3 times for 10 sec or so (mile 3 168 bpm) to bring the HR under the 170 marker. I could not wait until we got to go back down.

TURNAROUND!

Down we go. 7:47 m/m pace with a HR 164 bpm syas it all. I still did not like the gravel but I was hurtiling down. I did walk thru a grrassy patch cause my legs were not ready for it. Then the course flattened out thru the next mile which I tried to keep pushing (mile 5 169 bpm). It also started to into the hill back up (mile 6 174 bpm) and I tried to push through. See the splits below - It shows the up hill down hill speeds which was accentuated on the flier in to the finish. I kept pushing (177 bpm) I tried to keep ahead of the guy behind me and catch teh guy who passed me, but he had an extra surge and I could not close.

8:23
8:12
9:20
7:47
8:20
8:42
6:15 m/m (.4 mile)
6:47

Weigh less, wesr wings, and ride a bike up the hill.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked arounda nd cheered a few friends into the finish. It was a nice day and nice event. I would do it again. I did have to leave quicker to get home, so I missed the awards ceremony, but to finish 2nd AG and 18th OA feels pretty good especially because

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I raced 7 days ago HARD. But both races were 2:24 - and separated by 10 seconds. Pretty consistent if you ask me. Ripon was definitely hillere than T4C, but still fun.

Event comments:

Great race, lots of fun. Good friends and thanks to Mr and Mrs VB for the housing - I enjoyed sleeping inthe hole

Last updated: 2010-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:14 | 1440 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 28/112
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back -
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:30 | 24.45 miles | 22.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 9/112
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out and back with a lopp on the western end Rolling hills with a few longer grauals.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:15 | 06.4 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 37/112
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back - Uphill Out and down hil back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-01 10:06 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Ripon Medical Center Triathlon

2010-08-02 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3017434

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Ripon Medical Center Triathlon
Great Job especially racing B2B weekends!

2010-08-02 9:30 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
2010-08-03 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Nice work Chris....Back to back weekends in the top of the bike splits - your off season training really worked.  It was fun to see you before the race and when you passed me on the bike.  I knew I had nothing on you Sunday.....  but it was fun to watch you pull away.  Now recover and repeat! 
2010-08-06 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

great race, Chris!!!!!  now make sure you taper for Manty.. (I'm already in taper mode -- uhhh, what is tapering from no training?)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ripon Medical Center Triathlon Rss Feed