United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 18s
Overall Rank = 62/352
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Drank down a quick breakfast shake and hopped on my bike for a short ride over to the race.
Event warmup:

Stretched out and jogged a little bit.
Swim
  • 04m 45s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I caught up to the swimmer in front of me just after 75 yards, and had to hold up behind him for most of a pool length, which kind of sucked. Once he knew I was there, he let me pass as permitted at the end of the length, so he was a good guy about it, but it added a little time to my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. For a snake swim at this race (where you can get DQ'd for passing mid-lane), swim hard to catch someone at the end of a length (when they have to pull over), instead of the beginning of the next one (where you're stuck behind them for the length).
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Great transition for me. I decided that I really want to avoid messing with a jersey or shirt at sprints, and didn't want to spend money on a 1-piece tri-suit that I'll only wear 1 or 2 times a year (I've already got good shorts and a jersey that I can wear under a wetsuit for longer races). I tried a few options prior to the race. My tri-jersey wasn't quite tight enough in the water, and the back pockets scooped water. A compression shirt did the trick. Definitely helped in transition. I was able to just throw on my glasses and helmet an go.

I think I had something like the 15th fastest T1 in the whole race, so not much. Maybe RUN HARDER to get to my spot?! I can catch my breath getting my shoes strapped in once I'm on my bike. Realistically, there's only another 15-20 seconds here tops that I can shave.
Bike
  • 26m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.26 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to go hard on the bike. Based on bricks in training, I felt that I could ride hard and still put together a decent 5K. I think the only guy that passed me was the overall winner (Reeven Nathan: side note, keep an eye on Reeven; I think there's a decent chance I'l be watching the Olympics in the next 10 years saying, "that guy beat me in the Park Center Tri back in 2010"). For sprints at least, I've gotten to the point where I can put in a decent bike, which had been a big focus over the last year. There's still some room for improvement riding, but the easiest gains are going to come from the run for now.

Not much. This was a pretty solid ride (almost 2 mph faster than last year). Without a big shift in my bike training, I don't think I could have gone much faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I still go with socks (and probably always will). I was out of T2 faster than most, but not to the extent of T1.

Not much. This is another one where there's just not that much time left to save. If my run fitness improves, maybe I can get myself going out of T2 a little faster after racking my bike.
Run
  • 28m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I was around an 8-minute pace for the first mile, which is where I thought I needed to be to break an hour for the race. Pretty soon after that, I just couldn't get myself to move fast. I slowed down a lot on my first pass over the hill, and never really got it back. Just tried to keep moving. The limiter on my run really seemed to be cardiovascular; my legs felt OK, I just couldn't get going. I was actually about 3 minutes slower thatn my first race of the season (the Tower Tri).

Get in better running shape. Given where I am on the swim and bike and the fact that, once upon a time, I was a good runner, I've got to get it together for the run over the next year. In every race I've done, this has been where I've left the most on the table.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Got a quick massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run conditioning. This was probably my last race of the year. Between now and next spring, I'm going to try to stay at least steady on the swim. For the bike, try to keep getting in one round-trip communte to work while the weather is still good and then do Jorge's training program over the winter. My main focus for improvement now has got to be the run. Build mileage up to 30+ mpw by October or November, and then work through the winter and spring, adding in hills and intervals, without getting hurt.

Event comments:

Fantastic sprint that I'm lucky to have in my backyard.

Last updated: 2010-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:45 | 300 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 45/352
Performance: Average
Suit: De Soto Tri Shorts and Compression Shirt
Course: Snake swim. Swimmers started every 10 seconds.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:57 | 10 miles | 22.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/29
Overall: 33/352
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 5-mile loops. Flat. Few intersections and great traffic control.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:27 | 03.11 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/29
Overall: 155/352
Performance: Bad
Course: Paved trail through the park. Modest hill in the middle that you go over on the way out and the way back. My garmin showed the run at 3.2 miles, but I was still really slow.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Glenview Park Center Triathlon

2010-08-03 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3017970

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Glenview Park Center Triathlon
Awesome race and great race report!!!! I didn't see you either, but nice to see you on BT! Sounds like you also did Leaning Tower too. What's next for you, Chicago Marathon??
2010-08-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3022074

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Glenview Park Center Triathlon
No marathon for me (yet).  I struggled a lot running this year with different injuries, and I'm just starting to be able to put in longer easy mileage without pain in one place or another.  For now the plan is to try and hold steady bking and swimming and just build up mileage and good base for running through the fall and winter.  Nice race probably won't be until Tower next year (where my 12 year-old niece has also committed to race with me!!) . . . I sort of have a bug to do the New Orleans 70.3 though in April . . . we'll see.

Are you doing the Chicago Marathon?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glenview Park Center Triathlon Rss Feed