Glenview, Illinois
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 22s
Overall Rank = 279/352
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 28/29
Pre-race routine:

This was my first ever Triathlon so I went to the pre-race meeting as well as driving the course ahead of time. The meeting was well put together and answered a lot of questions.
Event warmup:

Got there at 5am to get marked and to get my spot set up. I ate at 4:30 or so being that I wasn't going to be starting until 7:10 or later due to the interval swim start times.
Swim
  • 06m 32s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Everyone is lined up by their reported swim time, but it becomes obvious fairly quickly that some people don't report a real accurate time. I passed two people on the first two laps, but I swam about a minute faster than my reported time (so I guess I'm one of those people). All in all this is run about as well as they can for the pool and it worked out great, as once I passed the two people I had a clear pool in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

I probably went out a little too quick. Since this was my first tri ever, I think I let the adrenalin get to me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

I went slow in the transitions intentionally. I just didn't want to make a mistake here. The changes all were quick and didn't run into any issues.

Going forward I know I can shave off time here. Just didn't want to screw up the first one.
Bike
  • 32m 5s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike and the course was to my liking. I bested my training pace by about 2mph, and my time ended up being about 3 minutes better than I expected. Can't speak highly enough of the traffic coordination by the Glenview police.

As with the swimming I probably went out too fast. I felt great on the bike, but my heart rate was higher than I trained at. By the time I tried to reel it back in I think the damage was done.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Again, went slow on purpose.

I have regular tie shoes, so some speed laces amongst other things would be an easy way to save some time.
Run
  • 41m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I know I'm a horrible runner, but this event drove that home even harder. Within about a tenth of a mile both calves cramped up. I thought I had hydrated on the bike (18oz of Heed), but apparently it wasn't enough. I got through that at about 1 mile, but then the hill crushed me. I probably had to walk a half dozen times in the last 2 miles. I know I'm slow, but I didn't expect to be this slow and this out of gas.

I probably needed to pace myself better in the first two portions, and I just need to lose weight and improve my cardio fitness. I knew that was the case coming in, but this makes it all the more apparent.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had a bagel and cheered on the remaining racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first event and while I've been training for 19 weeks, I'm still not in the shape I need to be in to be reasonably competitive. I've always disliked running, but I need to commit to it and get over the hump.

Event comments:

This is a fantastic race for the beginner. The distances are short, the limit the number of entries to keep the field manageable, and the course is relatively easy (except for that darn hill). Everyone was very supportive and was well planned. I'm very happy I made this my first race and I can't wait to get back here next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:32 | 300 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/29
Overall: 205/352
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri Shorts
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:05 | 10 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/29
Overall: 138/352
Performance: Good
Forgot to turn on my heart rate monitor until about halfway through the first lap. Ended up averaging about a 138hr which is about 10bpm higher than I was training at.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat course with long, subtle up-hills and two moderate down-hill sections. Good road conditions.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:26 | 03.11 miles | 13m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/29
Overall: 327/352
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat biking/hiking path with a moderate hill just past mile 1, and again right after mile 2.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 1:49 PM

Subject: Glenview Park Center Triathlon

2010-08-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3018868

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Glenview Park Center Triathlon
Great job out there on your first tri.  Congrats!!!  You put together a nice swim and bike, and the run will fall into place.  Best thing is that you kept moving a finished it out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glenview Park Center Triathlon Rss Feed