General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Relay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Relay - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 9s
Overall Rank = 34/38
Age Group = Female Relay
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4am, packed up water bottles, snacks, loaded bikes and headed to the park by 5am. Arrived and waited for bodymarking and transition to open. Got the end spot on the rack - really far from swim in/run out but fairly close to bike in/bike out

Mentally ran through transition so that I was sure to have all my gear in the right place and did not forget anything
Event warmup:

Walked down to swim start, loved having a separate area for swim warm-up which allows us to stay in the water even after the waves start. I did not need to do that this year but did get a decent warm-up, probably about 200yds and felt GREAT! No nerves or butterflies which really surprised me.

I was in wave 5 with all the relay teams which put me in a different spot than ever before - towards the front/middle of the athletes rather than at the end.
Swim
  • 15m 3s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started towards the back of the group where I could stand instead of treading water until the start.

Swim felt great - freestyled the ENTIRE WAY!!!! Never had to backstroke or sidestroke. Very happy with my performance - felt easy and comfortable
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little more to get my speed up for next year
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

Damn, what a seriously long run from the water all the way to the bike.

Figure out whether I can bike without socks and without my knee strap.
Seems to take up way too much time. Or, maybe see if there are socks I can swim in and then go right to the bike - not sure something like that exists. Other thing I could do is spend more time walking barefoot on concrete. Dang those stones and pavement hurt!!!I want to try next year running out of transition in my socks, carrying my shoes and put them on once I get to bike mount. Running in my bike shoes just KILLS my shins.
Bike
  • 51m 17s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 13.45 mile/hr
Comments:

It was VERY hot and just wanted to make sure I did not go out too fast and have trouble with my asthma. Got passed by a bunch of people but also passed a few. After just leaving the park road, I had one B@TCH have the nerve to yell at me for failing to keep right as I leaned down to put my water bottle back in the cage. I was far enough to the right she could have passed me without trouble but she did not want to have to move to her left at all. I had held my line so it was all her poor judgment. She got too close to me as she yelled "on your left" locked up her brakes and rubbed my back tire. Lucky we both did not wipe out. I had yelled to her that maybe she should have moved to her left just a little bit and that I could not move while putting my water bottle back. It put me in a bad mood.

probably could have/should have pushed a little more

spend more time training and more hours riding
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Had Abbi pull the timing chip from my ankle and off she went.

Cure my shin splints so that I can do the whole triathlon myself. If that were not possible, nothing to change.
Run
  • 36m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Abbi Angelucci did the run and was amazing. She did great!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shin splints, not enough training

Event comments:

I absolutely love this race! I am so glad it was my first experience with triathlons and plan to be part of this race weekend for years to come!

Thanks Michele and Larry at CGI! You guys ROCK!

Last updated: 2010-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:03 | 547 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 30/38
Performance: Good
Suit: bathing suit with tri shorts
Course: Two legs - out to buoy and turn left in to boat ramp
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:17 | 11.5 miles | 13.45 mile/hr
Overall: 36/38
Wind: Little
Course: Same course as the previous year - single loop on township roads around the park - VERY familiar with the course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:45 | 03.11 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 0/38
Performance:
Course: Out and back on bike path to East Picnic area
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-03 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Relay
Race was actually on 7/24 Saturday.  OMG what a hot day!

We volunteered on 7/25 at a water station at mile 4.  What an amazing experience to offer the support to the athletes completing the olympic distance.  I loved seeing the smiles when we cheered them on and even the ones that called us liars but thanked us for telling them they were doing great.  Got a serious sunburn standing in the sun for 4 hours handing out water but definitely worth it.

I look forward to spending the weekend with CGI at the NJ State again next summer.  Thanks Larry and Michele for yet another amazing triathlon experience!

Edited by Fechter99 2010-08-03 12:00 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Relay Rss Feed