General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB: Trek KDR or Felt F24 $200-$300 range Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
SOLD
2010-08-08 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: WTB: Trek KDR or Felt F24 $200-$300 range
Daughter would like to start riding ... if you have an old 24" wheel road bike with STI shifters that is gathering dust, send me a PM. I know a little girl that would love to give it a good home!

2010-08-08 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3029944

Subject: RE: WTB: Trek KDR or Felt F24 $200-$300 range
hello,

Some where on the classifieds is a Giant kids road bike and I'm almost sure it was the 24" size.  I think it is still for sale but the last time I saw it someone had asked the seller if it was (still for sale) but had not gotten a response.

I spent a good bit of time shopping for my son his 24" and gave into the first used one I found.  It's the Specialized Allez Junior.  However, if I could have shopped new I'd have definitely went with the Felt.  They've really thought out the bike.  My son's bike has an adult bar w/standard shifters that can't be adjusted shallower.  A basic Sora shifter can at least be adjusted-no dice on the Allez Junior.  Felt made their frame thinner to shave weight for the whole bike and they can get by with this since the rider will likely remain under 100 pounds on a bike that small.  They've put the correct size bar (narrower) to accommodate the junior rider's shoulder width.  Simply put, Felt seems to have set out to make a serious junior level bike where as the others designed a frame around stock parts.  Don't misunderstand, my son loves his bike and it is so darn cute that I have to love it myself.  I will likely keep it long after he outgrows it just so I can look at it and remember all the fun we've had.  My daughter is 11 and rides the smallest Trek wsd.  We've been very happy with that bike too.  I clocked my son (8yo) doing 25+ on a down when he took a spill that resulted in serious road rash and cuts.  I tell you this to let you know that these little road bikes do cook and my son has had to have some serious talks about speed.  The tires are no tread 24x1 120 psi.  I run his on about 80-90psi to help keep him in check.  Since he's about 55 pounds this works fine.

I get a great amount of joy from riding with my kids and teaching them about bike safety.  I think these kids bikes open up a wonderful opportunity to share my sport with them.  I'm hoping it will make them more responsible motorist.  Don't know yet.  We school at home so the bikes offer us a way to get out and see all sorts of places and things together.  I hope you find the right bike for you and your daughter and that you will get as much enjoyment riding with her as I have riding with my kids.

And shopping for the bike is super fun too!
2010-08-10 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3029944

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: WTB: Trek KDR or Felt F24 $200-$300 range
Did a search and found that bike (Giant OCR XS) was sold ... hopefully it has a good home.

Fuji just came out with a 24" bike that sells for ~$350 brand new.  The problem is that it weighs 25lbs ... literally almost half the body weight of daughter!
Sell Gear
SOLD
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB: Trek KDR or Felt F24 $200-$300 range Rss Feed