Premier Event Management
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 22s
Overall Rank = 62/1593
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 10/155
Pre-race routine:

New routine tried here for me, thanks to my mentor group leader brick94513!!! I ate a good dinner the night before, whole wheat pasta/organic chicken breast/peas. Before bed I ate a bowl of cottage cheese and peaches. Morning of I ate whole grain Cherios with Agave nectar and a scoop of peanut butter at 3am 5 hours before race time. I ate nothing till after race time. My stomach was growling come racetime, but I quickly forgot about it at the starting line.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and a jog up and down the hill in the back of the beach. We standed around for almost an hour waiting to go off and I was cold by then. Jumped up and down and did my best to get warmed up before the start.
Swim
  • 08m 55s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

I walked quite a ways in the shallow before swimming and sighted really well today. That played to my advantage big as there were many swimmers that should not have been in my group and having trouble from 100m out on! I swam over and into a few people on accident, but kept going pretty well. Definitely one of my best OWS performances to date. I am, however, dissapointed in the course as there is a section that comes back to the shallow around the middle bouy and so many people walk there you are almost forced to. This broke my momentum in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

This was a long run to my bike waaay in the back of transition. I think 1:30 to 2:00 was getting to my area. Went quick after that, but running barefoot cross ashfalt was interesting. My feet are not used to this. Even so I should have run faster to get to my transition area.

run faster to my spot
Bike
  • 34m 42s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 23.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I can't complain too much because I really smoked this flat course. There were a lot of people in this race and some did not get the concept of keeping the left clear for faster riders at all. I was constantly screaming "on the left!" Most moved over but there are always bad apples. Somebody let a car on the course too during lap one that could have been bad, but for the most part it was well marked and the police did a good job of keeping traffic off the course

Nothing! I feel incredible about my bike performance here
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

T2 went well for me. I was close to bike in, but run out was clear across the entire enormous transition area. I'm really happy I broke 2 minutes here.

Not waste time turning off my garmin! LOL
Run
  • 21m 10s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I started a little too hard out of the gate. Probably with the extra adrenaline I had from seeing my family there at T2. I was able to compose my self and settle into a good pace still.

I don't think I needed to slow down and get water more than once on this course. Had I grabbed 1 water in the middle of the course would have worked and probably saved me the 10 seconds to get a 20 minute handle on my 5k
Post race
Warm down:

stretch and wait for my wife to come in! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

The goodie bag for this race was rediculous for the money paid for this. However, being so close to home it is a great race for my family to come out and see what I do with all the time I spend training. Plus I don't have to pay for hotel/meals/driving expenses/etc. compared to other races I travel for. For that reason alone I will probably do this race again

I think the race is very well run for the amount of people at this race. There was a lot of confusion in the swim. Definitely my most aggressive experience in the water to date, but I'm pleased with how I held it together and created a new pr. I'm a little dissapointed in the swim course as the middle came back to shallow water where a mass of people walked around the bouy. For me this broke my momentum as I was forced to walk with everyone else or dodge them with my head under water.

For me, this was my best performance to date and everything came together. I'm actually surprised because I literally spent the week before recovering from a week long vacation/alcohol binge/slash glutany binge. I regreted this in the week before the race because I really wanted to do well in this race with my family there. Reguardless, in the week before nutrition/recovery/training/and mental strength all came together for me to produce a stellar performance for myself. I'm a first year triathlete and look forward to continued training, and hopefully, continued progress and success.

Last updated: 2010-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:55 | 400 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/155
Overall: 475/1593
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto liftfoil
Course: M shaped route at Centenial Beach
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:42 | 13.67 miles | 23.64 mile/hr
Overall: 43/1593
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lap out and back. Slight uphill out and fast back!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:10 | 03.12 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 99/1593
Course: Beautiful out and back starting and ending along the river walk. Very nice course, mostly flat with a slight uphill in the beginning. Crowded course but very well marked, well placed water stations and great volunteers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-09 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2010-08-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3031382

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

Congrats again.

Thats a lot of people for that distance of a race.  I can only imagine all of the obstacles you faced out there.  Would you say this event was more geared to the"first time" triathlete?  The only reason I asked is it sounds that USAT rules were not being enforced on the bike course.

2010-08-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3031592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Just like I was too worried about the last race/poor swim, you were too worried about the rough training week.  Fact is, you raced well because of all of the time you've invested over the last few months.

Again, great time / great performance!
2010-08-09 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3031592

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 9:44 AM

Congrats again.

Thats a lot of people for that distance of a race.  I can only imagine all of the obstacles you faced out there.  Would you say this event was more geared to the"first time" triathlete?  The only reason I asked is it sounds that USAT rules were not being enforced on the bike course.

Yes, for sure!! I don't think they had enough people to enforce penalties. In fact, not only was there problems keeping people out of the left there were problems in transition. My wifes nice new Carbon fibre bike got a chip in the frame because her transition neighbors couldn't keep to their own space. She's furious about it! But things like that need to be monitered and enforced. We spend a lot of money on these bikes and expect organizers to keep them safe in transition. We pay good money for these races and there is no excuse for that. I don't think I saw one person on the bike course or in transition that was walking around looking for violations. This was also the case at Evergreen where my P4 got scratched up. But, at least at evergreen, they had motorcyclist on the bike course enforcing rules.

that said, Naperville is a great venue for newbies. If it wasn't so close that my family could come watch I don't think I would do this race again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed