EX2 Adventures
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m
Overall Rank = 15/150
Age Group = 15-19
Age Group Rank = 1/5?
Pre-race routine:

Made sure that all was good in the transition area, stretched a lot. Ran an easy warm up for about a mile, hopped in the water to see how warm it really was and than I was good to go.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1202 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I suck at swimming...it is the truth, I was getting womped by a lot of people right here. But I held my own and did much better than last time, but I really need to get on that and start practicing some swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Train prior to racing.
Transition 1
  • 00m

Put my gloves on, even if my hands were wet, I lost a big chunk of skin in the bike section that burns real bad.

Plus, I need a new shirt, I can't wear this dri-fit thing anymore cause it's too hard to pull over my head. And one more thing... I need a race belt...pinning that number onto my shirt...wow...big mistake.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14.2 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I am pretty happy about how I did, and that I didn't wipe too much except when the person in last pace refused to let me pass her..that hurt real bad, but overall I worked pretty hard. I picked up a ton of people, ecspecially in my first loop, the ratio of me passing people to people passing me was at least 10:1.

I gotta learn how to use 1st gear, there was one spot I think I really could have rode, it's just that I couldn't get the bike in a low enough gear so I had to walk it both times.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 43m
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I wasn't moving anywhere at first, even though I was passing people like nobody's business...I was still waiting for my legs to come back underneath me. But by the time they did...I was at Evitt's Revenge and the course was just plain old kicking my ass. As for the rocky section, I'm just really happy that I made it outta there alive. It was really dangerous. The last mile was alright, but I saw a guy about 20 seconds down the road from me and I think I coulda really pushed it and caught him, that woulda been nice because that means that only one guy under 30 beat me, but oh well. 6th overall is good for the run, ecspecially becauase I haven't trained in pretty much 5 weeks. I just can't believe it took my 43 minutes to run 5 miles...I mean....I don't run 35 minutes for 5 miles on an easy day...that's a really good indication of how difficult that course was.

Wear trail shoes. I wore some racing trainers. Big mistake, I shoulda just wore a pair of pegasus or something. You needed all the support you could get.
Post race
Warm down:

Hah!

-Lots of gatorade, water, watermelon and bananas.

--Got a free training shirt (Dri-Fit) but made my Xterra, $40 floor pump, medal, andddddd an Xterra Wetsuit (<--I had to work hard for that; a sprint to the water, swim out and touch a buoy and than run back in. It was nuts).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know how to swim is my first problem. I honestly don't know how to do it. For biking...I just needed to know the course a bit better, I took a couple of wrong turns were I had to double back. And the run...I just need to get some base under my belt and I should be kicking butt there.

Event comments:

Really well run, and I had a super time. They just need to make sure that the drinks at the aid stations are COLD. Mine were always really warm and gross, but yah had to drink them anyways cause you were dying in the heat.

Last updated: 2005-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1202 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5?
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Average
Suit: None, Tri shorts
Course: Lake Habebeeb-2 loops with probably a 200 yard run up a big hill in between. The run was pretty rough cause you came outta the water hurting real good and than you had to look up this hill, get over it, and get back out in the water to finish you 3/4 of a mile swim.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 14.2 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5?
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Rocky ass technical very challenging course. First mile and a 1/4 I guess is on the roads which made it really easy to eat people up. And than we hit some not physically challenging, but quite technical single-track for a while until we got to an aid station on a road. After that, we started climbing Evitt's Revenge. And boy oh boy was this a hill, a bunch of mostly climbing rollers that were very rocky. At some points it was not possible to bike and you new you just had to put it on your back and keep moving. I have done some serious hill work before but this sure was something. After reaching the peak, you get to ride down on a road (which is really sick) and than you ride some really tight muddy, slippery, and quite sketchy single track, back to the transition area than do it again.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:00 | 05 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5?
Overall: 6/150
Performance: Good
Course: WOW. THIS WAS NUTS. They should call it the hiking section instead of the running section. The first 2.2 miles was pretty much the same technical stuff that we were doing in the first segment of the bike. You had to be very leary of twisting an ankle of something of the sort. After that, we had to climb Evitts revenge for a 3rd time. All 2.2 miles of it. That sucked. And than, after that...it was really really off-road. There was no ground to touch, only rocks. And at one point, we were basically climbing up a cliff, I coulda gone up faster if I had rock climbing shoes and a rope. After you got outta that insane trail that really made you hurt, you had about a mile along the rode into the field were the finish line was.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Malibu, California
Subject: EMS Off-Road Triathlon

2005-07-18 12:02 PM
in reply to: #200815

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: EMS Off-Road Triathlon
Awesome race. Also that you won the wetsuit. Instead of the swim they had us do a run because of the strong current in the river. Of course when you see the guys who run a sub 6 min/mile take off for it, you stop and give in. The Xterra race was a blast and I will definiately do more in the future, after I get out on my MTB more.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EMS Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed