General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Pacific Sports Event Management
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 44s
Overall Rank = 61/177
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Sleep? What sleep? I had about 4.5 hours, but woke at 2:55 and couldn't sleep the last hour fifteen. Out of bed at 4:15, turned on coffee, dressed, woke Steve, grabbed coffee and bike and left. I put everything in the car the night before. So easy! Set up transition at 5am. Had lots of time before my start, so I ate my pb sandwich at 5:45 and 6:15. Banana at 6:30, G1 Prime at 7:15.
Event warmup:

Jogged a slight bit while waiting but had no opportunity to warm up in the water. So I made nice with my competitors--even loaning out my spare pair of goggles to a relay team. (They were returned BTW).
Swim
  • 24m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Seaweed!!!!! Ew! That's what freaked me out the most! Once I was swimming and not treading water in it I relaxed and fell into my pace easily. I was often trapped behind 2 or 3 swimmers for a while once I caught up to the other pack which was frustrating, but I was doing this for the fun of it so I didn't stress too much. The green of the water was surreal and peaceful (and no diesel fuel smell/taste). It brought back lots of childhood memories!
What would you do differently?:

I could improve on my navigation. I never swam with real waves before, so that was interesting. The waves were even more noticable on the swim back in.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Fastest of my AG. This would have been better if I didn't have someone with a stroller right next to my prime transition spot. This was a race with a lot of parents/relays toting their kids that had CP, so while I was frustrated, they were the reason the race was there. Wetsuit really got hung up on the chip this time, too!

I've been bad and haven't been practicing. I need to do it more!
Bike
  • 1h 23m 59s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

3 loops on the shoreway. That first hill is a doozy!!! Wow! Westbound seemed uphill the entire way. Eastbound was faster, and HANG ON TIGHT for that downhill on the concrete! It was so bumpy I thought I poor little bike was going to lose all its bolts!

The only way I could have gotten faster was to have a different bike, I think. My good ol' Supersport came through again!
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Transition time is misleading. I was actually much faster than this. The bike in/run out was the same "gate" and my wave was in the WAY WAY back of transition. Very pleased. (1st in T2 time)

Forgot to take off my sunglasses. Saw Steve on the run and handed them to him.
Run
  • 46m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt strong on the run. Thought I was going to bonk, but took water everytime and dumped it on my head to keep cool. It was starting to get really warm!

nothing! It felt great!
Post race
Warm down:

Cried when I saw my family at the finish line. Hugged my kids and family, grabbed some water and fruit. Waited for results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did the absolute best that I could have done! I'm very pleased with myself. Could a better bike help? Maybe. (I love my 15 year old bike, though.) The cheaper way of getting fast is to practice sockless, learn to hop on and off the bike instead of stopping, and learn to run a 6 minute mile pace!

Event comments:

Volunteers were awesome! We had a drill sergeant/body guard in the transition keeping all the hooligans and non racers out and keeping the lanes open for racers. Loved them! They were very strick on rules--and I love rules!

All the racers/relays carrying the kids with CP were very inspirational! It was great to have my own cheering section, too!

Did I mention that I finished 3/36 female overall????? I couldn't believe it either!!!

Many thanks to Mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be back next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:21 | 1500 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 37/177
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra sleeveless
Course: Inner harbor with a 90 degree turn to the breakwall and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:59 | 24 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 91/177
Heart rate in the 150s. Good! Also had to count laps. I did this by talking to the turn-around people as I passed. Did I mention my bike computer turned up missing???? Had no idea how fast I was going. Went by feel and time.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Westerly wind plus first hill makes for a tough ride westbound!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:11 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 61/177
Did not check heart rate, was too afraid it would freak me out. Went by feel. Glad I did.
Course: 2 laps on shoreway. It seemed very managable the way they broke it up. 1.25 miles to each turn around, then 1 mile through downtown, behind Browns stadium, under the Science Center, ending at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame! Big hill off the shoreway, though. PHEW!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-09 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-08-09 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3033172

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Subject: RE: Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Distance
So awesome!  Way to go team mate!  That swim time is blazing and the running is even more amazing.  You killed it!  We are so proud of you!
2010-08-10 8:11 AM

Veteran

way to go!!  your training is really paying off!!

2010-08-10 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Robin, Congratulations, amazing race all around! And to finish it off with a sub 7:30 pace on the run is just stunning!  I told you you would rock Cleveland!!!!!!  

You got so fast this year and podium every race, just wait to see how fast you are going to be next year!!!!!  

I am beaming with pride!    Way to represent the group!   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed