YMCA
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 33s
Overall Rank = 142/285
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/28
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15 good night sleep for a change. Bowl of granola cup o joe.
2nd cup and banana on the road. sipped 12 oz water and cliff bar after check in.
Event warmup:

they had swim lanes so I was able to 6 laps. That was great for me. felt confident going in to my first deep water start.
Swim
  • 15h 25m
  • 880 yards
  • 1h 45m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

LOVED the deep water start. Really enabled me to acclimate. A bit of joslting for position but I was able to find my rythm much faster than a running start. Swam buoy to buoy and really felt strong coming out
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, best swim I've ever had!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

great transiton for me included an uphill run so I was pleased

nothing
Bike
  • 55m 53s
  • 16.4 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Well this is where it got interesting. First, my new Cervelo Dual is a thing of beauty and man it wants to go fast. I was really holding my own and keeping up w/ others that I never would have in the past. Then, IT happend. Maybe a little to agreesively, lookin to pass on a downhill curve. looked up to see a woman had just crashed into a car. Tried to slow down but it was a bit wet , as soon as my tires hit the double yellow I went down. It was more of slide than a crash. Checked on the woman she was ok. (the female driver was hysterical tho)gave my bike the once over and hopped back on. Took me a while to get back to speed and couldn't really get aero cuz my arm was scraped up. Told the race marshalls about the accicdent and hoped they wud take of it.

uh, not crash
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

used lace locks and they were great! happy w/ this transition too.

nothing
Run
  • 28m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I really suffered on the run. I'd like to blame it on the crash but really I didn't feel any thing physicallly from it. Rather, I think it was the x-country trail and the humidity. I just couldn't find a rythm. Maybe nedded to drink some more. Thanks to Jose (JM-TT) for encouraging me on the trail as he passed. I tried to keep up but reallly started to feel bad and had to walk a bit b4 the end. Couldn't finish w/ my ususal kick.

maybe some more water. I was disappointed in myself in that I consiously made the desicion to walk a couple of times. Usualy I can fight thru that. Maybe it was the humidity or maybe the crash took more of a toll than I thot.
Post race
Warm down:

My first visit to the frist aid station!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crash, humidity and cross country trail

Event comments:

My goal was to break 1:40 and finish in the top 50% of my age group. I would've broke 1:40 if not for the crash and even so finished 14 out of 28 in my AG. So all things considered a good race. Loved the Deep Water Start, my bike is great and I know what I need to work on for my Aug. Oly.
Finally, I saw the woman who crashed after the race. She somehow managed to finsh the bike portion (kudos to her for that). She a had a gash on her calf from the chain that she thot was gonna need a stitch But otherwise ok. I was relieved to see her and she aprreciated me checking on her. Told her next time I'll just stop instead of sliding in next to her!. Definately a learning experience and think I'll be sronger for it.

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
15:25:00 | 880 yards | 1h 45m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 118/285
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: rectangle buoys to the right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:53 | 16.4 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Overall: 132/285
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 climbs one harder than the other, overall not too a bad
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:12 | 03.1 miles | 09m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 201/285
Performance: Below average
Course: 1/2 cross country ( varied terrain) 1/2 on the street
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Morris Center YMCA Tri

2005-07-18 5:00 PM
in reply to: #200840

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Morris Center YMCA Tri
Mark

WOW - a crash in the middle of the bike and you still managed to put in a 1:42! well done.

Sounds like the new bike wants to go really fast. I hope it survived the crash unscathed.

I know what you mean about the heat. My last two races have been really hot. No effect on the bike, but it has killed me on the run. can't keep the heart rate down, can't breath, hills seem like mountains. It just sucks.

Good job facing adversity. Nice race.

Bill
2005-07-18 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
Nice race Mark, I agree with you on the deep water start. It was great. Sorry about the crash, but I think its great you took it to the limit! Hopefully I'll see you at Westchester~!
2005-07-18 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
New York City
Way to go Mark!

Congratulations on finishing. I have a friend who did the NYC Tri and lost it when he hit a cone, but got up and finished the race. I know it took alot out of him. I think it is fantastic that he (and you) finished the race.

I was watching bikes come in at T2 for the NYC tri and a woman came flying down a hill before the transition, the woman in front of her hit her breaks for some reason and the woman coming from behind lost it and all I heard was this sickening thud, and the croud go ooooooohhhhh. Next think I knew the woman had a neck brace on and was being taken out on one of those flat board strechers....man, that must a hurt....cudos to you....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morris Center YMCA Tri Rss Feed