North Park, Pennsylvania
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 43s
Overall Rank = 41/386
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/36
Pre-race routine:

Nothing major. Just drove to the race and set up. Swam a few laps to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 12m 41s
  • 700 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Could have had a better swim but after an 8 hour training day on Saturday my goal was not to burn out. I just took it easy. I had to fast swimmers in my lane, a 16 year old boy and 20 year old girl that both passed me fairly quickly. I did pass the other person in my lane though. Strange thing was for the swim it was wet suit legal. I have never done a pool swim where wetsuits were legal but since it was outside people wore them. I actually saw one guy running in the pool withe wetsuit on "WTF??". Anyways. I just tried to maintain a good pace and when someone passed me tried to tag along for a second. With about 100 meters to go I noticed my strap coming lose so when I normally would have kicked at the end I could not. I need to make sure and pin my timing strap for IMKY (lesson 1 learned)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I could have pushed harder but what was the point.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

As I exited the pool I notice my garmin band was not on. I was not sure if I had it on when I got in the pool but I though I did. The run from the pool to the bikes was fairly far and my legs where not feeling like running yet so I took it easy. Definately hurt my time. Also, I did not want to even try getting my shoes on and risk crashing so I had to run in my bike shoes which never works well. Got to my bike and decided to look for my watch band which took even more time.

Not train for 8 hours the day before the race so I could run.
Bike
  • 33m 57s
  • 11.87 miles
  • 20.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to go as hard as I could and hopefully average 20mph. I accomplished this. Took a while to get up to speed since we started right by the rollers. But the down was fast and fun. We basically had 3 lanes to ride in and no traffic. After the figuring out the turns on loop one you could go all out the rest. There was not mention of "no drafting" but I still tried to avoid it. Ending up getting lapped on around lap 2 by the leader where were flying. Race ended up being won by a 16 year who simply was flying. My goal was to take my feet out of my shoes before tranition but since I did not scout the course before hand I did not know where the turn off the course was and transition came up too quick so I had to run with bike shoes on again and did not work well this time either (Lesson #2 learned - scout the course).

See "What would you do differently" under the Run section.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Still not knowing where my watch band was I tried looking one last time. No luck so I had to run with my garmin in my hand the whole run. Other than that t2 went well.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 3.07 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I took the bike pretty hard so I was not sure how the run would go. Plus since I had no idea what to expect other than it was on a trail I just took it as a nice training run. I actually felt pretty good starting out but once I hit the woods and saw the trail I thought I would take it safe. It was not a horrible train to run on but I am no mountain goat. It only takes a small pebble to take me down so I took it easy especially on the declines. Mile 2 was basically all uphill. I was able to run much better up the hills than down them. Came out of the wood feeling pretty good and hit the road to the finish running.

Not run on trail 3 weeks before IM and See "What would you do differently" under Run.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back to transition to try and find watch band. Then went to pool to try and find it. Finally found it sitting next to one of the lanes (Lesson #3 learned - use rubber band to make sure band is secure or leave it in T2 bag in Kentucky). Ate some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See "what would you do differently" under the run section. I was simply tired from the day before and did not want to do anything completely stupid to get hurt.

Event comments:

I had a good race. Weird thing is usually if you look at my performance in each disciple I usually finished in a pretty high % of the swim and bike and run in the worst. This time my swim was the worst. I think that had more to do with alot of young "swimmer" type kids killing my average. Definately helped me work so bugs out after not racing for 1 year before IMKY. I know a few things that I need to definately remember.

Last updated: 2010-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:41 | 700 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 74/386
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The swim was in a 50 meter outdoor pool. The biggest pool I have ever seen in my life. In addition to being a 50 meter pool it was probably 200+ yards long. The race was set up in waves of 60 athletes. 4 people per lane, 2 starting at each end. We used 18 lanes and only cover about 1/3 of the pool.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:57 | 11.87 miles | 20.98 mile/hr
Overall: 35/386
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Course was 4+ loops on a closed course with some rollers but seemed to be more down hill than up. Race said 12.5 miles but my garmin was under 12.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:47 | 03.07 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 46/386
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop trail run. Lots of roots and rocks and a couple nice hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-09 9:07 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: Baierl Family YMCA Triathlon

2010-08-09 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3033408

New user

Subject: RE: Baierl Family YMCA Triathlon
Ya, I would be pretty happy with that after training for eight hours the day before.  Good luck in IMKY.
2010-08-10 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3033408

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Baierl Family YMCA Triathlon
Great day!  Smart to place it safe on the run when your IM is just around the corner!  Good luck.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baierl Family YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed