United States
Xterra
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 2s
Overall Rank = 30/117
Age Group = 32
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:30 and tried to eat breakfast. For some reason, I was so nervous I just couldn't eat. So I packed some food and coffee and hit the road at about 6:00
Event warmup:

I did little running and a little swimming about 10 minutes before the start
Swim
  • 28m 2s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was above 78 degrees so no wetsuit. This was my first open water swim without a wetsuit so I was a little nervous. The swim went down river and across left to right. However, the river current was right to left. We were told which opening to got through under the first bridge. I started in the back and to the left to hopefully fight the current. About 100 yds into the swim there is a sandbar you have to run over. Once I got over the sandbar, I started heading for the opening. The current was stronger that I thought and I was quickly being pushed right. About half the wave was in the same boat (we were in the 1st wave and didn't have the advantage of watching another wave). The course official at the bridge let us go through the opening to the right. It wasn't much shorter and I think I would still be fighting the current. Once I got through the bridge everything went downhill. Not having the wetsuit, I obviously was not sitting as high the in water. Therefore, I was swallowing tons of water. I had to keep switching to side stroke to clear out the water.

Also, I think this course was longer than 1k. I am not a fast swimmer but even on my slowest days swimming I am not that slow (especially with the current). Regardless, my swim was really slow
What would you do differently?:

This was a new experience without the wetsuit and I actually felt much better the last 300m than first part. I just need to work on every aspect of my swimming.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Included in swim time
Bike
  • 54m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 13.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This race was swim/run/bike so this was the third segment. It was a two loop course of about 6 miles each. It was a nice course with winding single track, some small hills and an open stretch on top of a dyke. I wasn't sure how I would feel coing off the run but I felt great. Being a former MTB'er, the course was no problem and I felt very strong. I passed a lot of people and just one person passed me in the last few miles. I was able to hang on his wheel and finish right behind him (even though he started in a later swim and was actually 5 minutes in front).

Nothing...felt great
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

This was the run to bike transition so it was just switching shoes, put on helmet and camelback

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 5s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Thrilled to finally be out of the water, I was looking forward to run. I wasn't sure how hard to push it with the bike coming next. It was a very flat and very fast 5k course with the exception of a foot bridge you had to cross over Route 91 (a major highway). You had to go up 6 or 8 flights of stairs (I can't remember how many) to get to the bridge. I think this really slowed times down. I felt great and passed a bunch of people without being passed. With my swim being so slow, I certainly had plenty of people to go by. I caught up to a guy who swam in the waver after me but must have swam right by me and we ran in together the rest of the way.

Nothing, I was really pleased with my run. I think I paced it about right were I didn't kill myself for the bike but went hard enough to get a good time.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank gatorade, had a banana, watermelon and some water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swim, swim, swim and oh yeah swim

Event comments:

Great race, lots of fun and very different. I might try it again next year just so I can beat those damn currents on the swim

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:02 | 1000 meters | 02m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 86/117
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: Point to point down and across the CT river
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:45 | 12 miles | 13.15 mile/hr
Overall: 20/117
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Very flat and fast mountain bike course
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:05 | 03.2 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 15/117
Performance: Good
Course: Flat 5k course with the exception of a long-winding staircase up and over a foot bridge
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 9:28 AM

Expert
Subject: Capital City Dirt Triathlon

2005-07-18 11:34 AM
in reply to: #200853

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Capital City Dirt Triathlon
Nice Race. Sounds like your run and bike went great. Only wish I had the mountain biking experience to have finished as well as you did.

PS. i also think the swim was longer then the 1k or 7/10 that were listed.

2005-07-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: #200853

New user
Subject: RE: Capital City Dirt Triathlon
Nice race! Great job on the bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital City Dirt Triathlon Rss Feed