Y-Events
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 26s
Overall Rank = 381/983
Age Group = MILITARY 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/35
Pre-race routine:

Bacon, eggs and coffee at 5:30, 1 GU/~12oz water 30 mins prior to wave (7:50).
Event warmup:

Only had time to dip in the ocean real quick before they made us get out. No real warmup, just got a check of the water temp.
Swim
  • 16m 36s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rank 24 of 35. I can't believe there were guys even slower than me out of the water. I didn't do any dolphin swim getting into/thru the surf as I had planned. The current was pretty strong so I tried to keep an eye on the first buoy so I didn't have to swim even further. I mainly waded until I couldn't touch bottom them started swimming. I drank a bunch of water the first 100m and got concerned that it would F* me up for the bike so I basically swam w/ my head above the surface for the rest of the race. Which just made me more tired I think and I ended up floundering around on my back a few times to catch my breath. I expected this to be horrible, and it was.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to breathe in OW better I guess. Even rolling to a completely stacked position, I somehow still managed to suck water w/ every breath I took. Not being able to practice in OW puts me at a significant disadvantage I think.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Rank 9 of 35. AG winner was 1:00 flat. I got some work to do. I pulled both arms out of my suit so fast as soon as I hit the beach I forgot to let go of my cap and goggles in the sleeve. I shoved them back in but my earplugs fell out somewhere and my goggles almost did too. I stuffed the wrist of the sleeve up into the inside of the suit while on the run. Had no trouble finding my rack, had lots of room to work with to transition. I tried getting my suit off w/ just my legs while putting on my helmet and HR strap. Didn't work. My timing chip got stuck and that just threw me off for the other leg I guess. My Garmin must have the auto-off feature turned on because it was turned off when I ran in so I took a quick sec to turn it back on. I had a water bottle ready in case I needed to rinse my feet, but didn't even think about it. I just took a quick drink out of it instead to get the salt water taste out of my mouth. We had a significant uphill at the mount/dismount line so I opted to NOT use this time to attempt the flying squirrel bike mount and just put my shoes on in transition and stopped to clip in at the mount line. No problems there. The guy that finished 15th was only 16 seconds ahead of me. I blame that on my transitions.

Practice T1 more. Both races now, I have wasted a few seconds doing a double-take and thinking 'is that it?', because I feel like there should be more to it. I should be outta there in 60-90 seconds easy.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 13s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Rank 17 of 35. O'all Speed was about what I figured. My turning skills suck. I don't have the confidence yet to hit them at full speed and I found myself pedaling midway thru every turn because I slowed for them all. I tried to keep my HR right at threshold zone (z5) because I wasn't sure how I would feel coming off the bike and I wanted to leave some gas in the tank for the run. To my surprise, I kept a pretty high cadence. I tried to stay in 1 gear lower than 'hard effort' the whole time and it seemed to work out well. I may have been able to go a little harder, tough to say. Love my aero helmet. I hardly felt any of the wind and that thing is SOOOOPER comfortable! I will always wear it for racing now. They had a water station at the turn around so I took the opportunity to practice a "bottle exchange" and grabbed a cup of water from one of the Marines. I pointed at the kid, shouted 'YOU! WATER!' and he started running w/ it for the handoff. I had to laugh a little after I tossed it, he probably thought he was pretty cool after that LOL. Of course I had no need for it, but why miss an opportunity to practice something that only cost me 3 seconds?

Learn how to attack hills better. I absolutely come to a crawl up the hills. My fitter said I need to get out of the saddle and hammer hills, so I tried this a couple times. Just seemed to wear me out.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Rank 5 of 35. I have never done it in practice, so this was a first, but I took my feet out while still on the bike since they made us slow down 25m before the dismount line. Piece of cake, didn't even have to look at my feet. Hopped off the bike at the line and started running it in. Legs were a little shaky for ~10 seconds so I slowed down to a quick jog. Racked it, helmet off, shoes on, grab bib, garmin and waterbottle and I'm out.

Nothing. T2 was probably the best executed portion of my race. Too bad it was also the shortest. :D
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Rank 17 of 35. I purposely set my 305 display to only time and distance so I wouldn't obsess over my HR. The first 1/4 mile was uphill so I just took it easy and used that opportunity to catch my breath. I ran progressively faster mile splits, and was only passed by 4 people on the run. Felt it was a good performance even though I'm not real fast.

Nothing. Run effort was hard, but I just tried to focus on passing people and not letting anyone catch me.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a few fruit slices/bananas and 20oz water. Waited at the finish chute for the other team members to cross the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't do speed work, I physically can't turn my legs over any faster in a non-anarobic state. I did surge at the end a little, but I'm no speed demon.

Event comments:

Race was very well organized w/ lots of volunteers (lots of Marines) and the aid stations were a nice touch if you choose to hydrate off the course. I had an absolute blast running this race. I would say it is good for beginners and it had decent size field (~1k entrants), so it was cool to see lots of different bike setups and transition layouts. They also have civilian, military, mtn bike, athena/clyde divisions and awards. Huge trophies for o'all and AG winners. Tech tshirts and bike skullies were nice for all participants also. Free FRS energy chews pre-race.

Last updated: 2010-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:36 | 500 yards | 03m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/35
Overall: 0/983
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vortex3 full
Course: Rectangle course, easy balloon markers to sight coming back in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:13 | 18.64 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/35
Avg HR 158. Max HR 171. Avg Cadence 96. Right about where I wanted to be.
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on some rough roads w/ a few rollers along the way.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:48 | 03.11 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/35
Avg HR 173. Max HR 184. I was jammin it as hard as I could pretty much. Felt like I paced it well.
Course: Out and back, steep hill to start, easy inclines on the out leg, lots of corners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-10 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

2010-08-10 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3035785

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon
Great job!  Got some good laughs out of your swim and T1 comments.
2010-08-10 11:25 PM
in reply to: #3035785

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon
You know me.  If I can't make a joke about it, no point in writing it
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed