Tacoma, Washington
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m
Overall Rank = 640/840
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/51
Pre-race routine:

Parked the car and got on bus to take us to the start line. We then waited in the hangar with everyone else. Not much to report. I was here for my wife. She had a goal and I wanted to help her get it. I also did nto want to run very hard due to HIM in Lake Stevens the next week.
Event warmup:

Just got loose a litle and waited for the gun. Tried to keep my wife loose. She was stressed out a bit. Last HM she did not do well and felt as if maybe she should not do this one, so I tried to keep her in it and ready to go.
Run
  • 2h 23m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good. I wanted to keep my wife on the move and keep her motivated. The run starts in Gig Harbor and end in down town Tacoma so you get to run over the Narrows bridge. I figured that would be cool. It was real neat but it was foggy out and a bit misty so you could not see much of anything while on the bridge. After mile 3 you are about half way across the bridge and going down a little bit, but then you head up a steep hill. This is what killed my wife. It was a tough hill for her, but she pounded through it. I handed her GU at the water station that was very nicely located close to the top of the hill. I figured that would help give her some energy. We were now at mile 4 heading to mile 5. She knew her time was slipping but did not give up. At mile 6 her knee was bothering her but she kept going. Mile 7 my mom was there cheering us on. This helped my wife get going a little and made her feel good. By this time my knee was locked up. In order to help my wife I had to slow my pace down a bit and shorted my stride. This hurt my leg a lot, but I was there for her and could deal with it. We then entered the baseball stadium, Cheney Stadium, where they put you on the jumbo-tron while you run and you get to run along the warning track of the outfield. I thought that was cool. It was now closing in on the end. We hit the last water station and headed down a hill. My wife thought we had a long ways to go but I told her it was a very quick last bit of the race. She picked up her pace a little now trying to fight time. She had about lost her goal but made a new one along the way. As we got closer to the end we went down one more steep hill and I could see the time clock. I told her see there’s the end. She picked up the pace real hard and pounded it in as fast as she could. I stayed in stride and let her cross the line. She did not meet her goal but did beat her last HM time by 30 min, so in my book that is a huge win.
What would you do differently?:

not much
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and got some drinks and granola treats.

Event comments:

Again another good race put on by the folks from Fleat Feet Sports in Bonney Lake. They have yet to put on a bad event. There is plenty of drinks on and off the race course. There is also food and fun at each race. They do a great job.

Last updated: 2010-06-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:23:00 | 13.1 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/840
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]