United States
Wasatch Area Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Slept in the trailer at the race venue, got up early, didn't eat much. A small peant butter and honey sandwhich, and some water. We set up T2, then hopped on the shuttle us down to the lake. My poor hubby realized as we were about to pull away from the curb that he forgot is sunglasses, so he went back for them. Picked up timing chip, swim cap, and got body marked lakeside at T1. Chatted with friends while waiting on hubby, set up T1, then did the wetsuit wiggle.
Event warmup:

Uh...I did the wetsuit wiggle. :) (why am I always so sweaty by the time I get that thing on? ;) ) And I ate a gu.
Swim
  • 14m 9s
  • 766 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

The Olympic distance swimmers were making their second lap around the course when we started. I have never done a deep water start before. It felt fine, though. the swim as a whole was average for me--not so much for other people. I need to spend more time in the water, for sure. I haven't been panicky in open water for a while, but I can't seem to get the breathing to go smoothly on the left side any more. And sidestroke felt harder today than usual--which is good because it forced me to do more freestyle. I got to the point on the way back to shore where I had to breathe every stroke (I usually do every other stroke on the right, or bilateral breathe). That made me a little panicky because it usually signals me getting tired. I didn't want to finish the swim with nothing left for the bike and run, so I just took it easy, gave myself permission to slow down and even stop for a sec to adjust the goggles. I didn't get a new pair of goggles before the tri, and the last leg of the swim was into the sun, so between the foggy, old goggles and tyhe sun, sighting was a bit of an issue. My old goggles have lasted over 3 years, and they are scratched and once they start to fog up there's no keeping them un-fogged. Luckily a friend had made me check out landmarks for sighting the night before the tri. (Thanks, John!). I just swam for the tallest tree. By that time in the swimm, the swimmers were pretty well spread out, and there were a few who were swimming every which way.
What would you do differently?:

Not worry so much about what's/who's around me. Work on bilateral breathing some more. Spend more time in the water, working on longer distance/more volume in my workouts.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition times are rolled into the bike time.

Took a little while in T1. I had to put all of my stuff (wetsuit included) into a bag with my race number on it and tie it shut. No big deal, just slowed me down. Time was probably in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 minutes total. My transition times are never anything even resembling fast, so I'mnot overly surprised I wasn't too speedy today either.

Hustle.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 45s
  • 22 miles
  • 14.55 mile/hr
Comments:

A very nice ride, really. I felt slowwww though. I felt like I could have ridden less than 5 miles and still feel like I did an entire tri ride. I felt slow on the first southbound section (the first 5 miles, LOL). I did speed up a bit about 20 minutes into the bike, got my legs under me, found a good rhythm. I ate one shot block and drank some water every 15 minutes or so for most of the bike. By the last 8 miles I was feeling fine. My speed was up a bit from the beginning of the bike, and it felt good to be out there. I had several friends tell me the night before the race that the last mile or two before T2 was all uphill, and to save a little for that. I did, and the hill seemed so easy! I guess I built it up more in my head. I have been doing more riding this spring and summer, and I definitely could feel a difference during the race. i might even have to admit son that i like to ride my bike. *gasp*

I need to do some more swim to bike workouts, in addition to the longer wim-only workouts. I felt like the transition from one to the other wasn't as good as it could be.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition time rolled into the bike time.

Took some time to sit and breathe. I had expected my hubby to catch up to me on the bike. He didn't. I sat on my little towel, put my shoes on, drank some water, and waited a little bit. This was hubby's first tri and we had planned on doing the run together. I guess I was just missing him. I was in this transition for somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 minutes. One of the bikes down the rack had an MP3 player with speakers on. It was kind of nice. Upbeat music while I was feeling like vegging. How funny is that? Veggin' DURING a tri. LOL. Guess we know why I didn't podium, huh?

Not hang out in transition? LOL.
Run
  • 41m 58s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy run course batman!! I had heavy legs to start with. Then I hit the first hill. I made a deal with myself at the top of that hill that if I ran the downhills I could walk the uphills. That worked pretty well. Hubby caught up to me at about mile 1.5 or so. I was soooo glad. I needed a distraction right about then. I was getting major goosebumps, felt really loopy and weird in general, and couldn't hold a run for more than 30 seconds or so, even downhill. By the time we passed the mile marker for mile 2, things weren't making any sense. Like why the mile marker said Mile 2. For some reason I thought it should say Mile 4. Yeah, don't know where that came from. Hubby stayed with me, and we walked and ran in about 30 second intervals. Mostly becasue I really wanted to run, but couldn't do it for very long. The final stretch of the run is flat, and fully visible to everyone at the finish line, expo tents, etc. It was lined with american flags, as well. really pretty cool. Hubby and I ran in together, and the announcer announced our names. And the timing company got it right. I beat my hubby by one second. I couldn't have him beating me at his very first tri ever! He didn't even run once before the race, and only swam about 3 times. Silly boy.

I am not sure what I would do differently. I need to figure out what the whole goosebumps, loopy thing is, though.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of time in the water, and need for some more hill work on the bike, especially long slow climbs. (Crap. I said that with my out-loud-voice, didn't I?)

Event comments:

I love this race, and I will definitely be back next year. Hubby is now hooked. If he juggles his schedule and keeps working out he will probably beat me at every race next year. I love that he's into it, though. I missed getting on the podium by a minute and a hlaf. Grrr. So many minor things could have taken that minute and a half off my time, and given me my first medal. Well, technically the "medal" at this race was a water bottle, but still. Overall I am happy with my race: I loved the venue, the directors did a great job, I had so many friends at the race, and I loved the fact that my hubby was there racing to. My kids were there, the weather was perfect...so many things came together to make it a great day. And, et's not forget the most important part: I beat my hubby. I have the official timing reults to prove it. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:09 | 766 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Kind of a V-shaped out and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:45 | 22 miles | 14.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling course around and through Midway.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:58 | 03.6 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Performance: Below average
Course: Rollers, up and down, mostly on trails, some paved pathway. The run course is on the venue used for the cross country ski and ecathlon events in the Olympics in 2002. It is a pretty challenging course for sure.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-11 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: BAM Lite Triathlon

2010-08-11 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3038249

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: BAM Lite Triathlon
Nice job Amy!  Way to edge out your husband at the finish line!
2010-08-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3038249

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BAM Lite Triathlon
Nice work Amy!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BAM Lite Triathlon Rss Feed